PDA

View Full Version : New "Sportscar Comp between RS-6 and E55"

ksurg
November 29th, 2003, 04:07
I can't stand all the 180 degree opinions in different magazines. It just supports the premise that all magazine reviews are financially motivated drivel. Interestingly only the British journals seem to have some semblance of honesty. At any rate this most recent comparison article made no sense to me. They were critical of the handling, chasis, and brakes on the RS-6, claiming the E55 was much better in twisties. Either they never actually drove the vehicles or need driving lessons. I didn't see a E55 in the top 10 cars in the world speed GT challenge. I'm sort of sensitive about this stuff and wish there was some truthfullness in automotive journalism. It's one thing to have subjective evaluations and opinions but this feature was as close to an actionable lie as I've seen in a long time. Did anyone read this review?:confused:

JAXRS6
November 29th, 2003, 04:49
It is a magazine, right? My web search turned up Classic & Sports Car magazine, and Sports Car Market magazine, but neither listed any comparo between the RS6 and E55. Not surprising, since both mags seem to target restored vehicles.

Anyhow, I'd like to read the comparo. Anyone got a web address that'll work?

ksurg
November 29th, 2003, 05:17
Sorry, about not being specific. I went to Borders tonight and was reading through some of the magazines and saw the comparison in "Sportscar," which I believe is a U.S. publication. I didn't look at the month. Obviously I had some concerns regarding their impressions.:argue:

GoFastKindaGuy
November 30th, 2003, 01:11
I just returned from Italy. A friend with an RS6 Avant allowed me to drive from just outside Rapalo to Milan -- in the rain. Most of the time we were between 150 and 190 km/hr. Never unsafe. Never even close to the edge. Though it was not my objective, we were never passed...
...even by an E55 driver who courteously pulled to the right lane. My buddy actually slept most of the way!

Most writers will never understand where the real gold is in these RS6s: horses harnessed to all the wheels when conditions are less than ideal. E55, don't like the rain? Come to Wisconsin for a snow storm!

God, that trip to Milan was fun!:incar:

ksurg
December 1st, 2003, 02:32
They say timing is everything. I really wanted to check out the E55 before buying an RS-6. Details such as resale, potentially better seats, rainsensors, DVD navigation, and better acceleration all for a lower price in a 2004 vehicle were bothering me. To tell the truth, I was hoping that I would like the E55 better as it seems like the better purchase on paper. Luck had it that there was an unspoken for E55 on the lot at my local dealership and miracles of miracles I got to drive it.
To my surprise, I was disappointed. How can something so sophisticated and touted be so boring to drive. I am beginning to think it's me. What didn't I like:

1) Most of the controlls were confusing and difficult to operate. This is even after knowing their functions. Not at all intuitive.

2)Some interior components were cheap.

3)Today it was misty and raining lightly. I couldn't step on the accelerator without the traction control interfering, and I'm not talking about tight cornering.

4) Steering feel was variable. Boosting occurred at unexpected times.

5) Full out braking was excellent but anything in between difficult to modulate. Maybe this would improve with practice.

In a straight line...on dry pavement this is fast car. I liked the rain sensing wipers, the seats, the prestige and today even the salesman. However, this is a go fast luxury sedan that doesn't seem to want to be handled aggressively or ever see a track. If I had more confidence I would have turned off the traction control though I'm relatively confident I would have kicked the rear end out if I did.
One of the reasons I love my Porsche 996 is that I feel that it has racing heritage that has been tamed for the streets. It is also overengineered so that it may be driven hard. Inside there are few fancy items but everything is fuctional and well built. In other words the true tech accomplishments of the vehicle are transparent. They are not listed like a menu in a brochure nor can they be counted by buttons on the dashboard. I suspect and hope the same will be true of the RS-6. It takes a little going against the grain to sink $85K into an Audi but I guess that's what I am going to do. Will I ever like the ride of a MB?:addict: :addict: :addict:

Alan
December 1st, 2003, 02:52
I had exactly the same reaction to the E55 that I drove. A fast luxury car but not a driver's car. I've owned two "sporty" MB's in the past (including a CLK55 AMG) and ended up getting rid of them quickly - great engine, but nothing else.

After 5K miles in my RS6, I can honestly say that it is the first car that I like as much as my Porsches.

However, I leased the RS6 - too afraid of plummeting re-sale to own it.

JAXRS6
December 1st, 2003, 02:52
...and reached many of the same conclusions you did. Basically, I decided that while there may be a place for mid-size performance sedans with occasional control issues, my garage isn't it. And if I ever want a car with a rear end that breaks loose easily, it will be smaller & for the track -- not my daily driver.

I'm not saying the E55 rear end breaks away easily with traction control on. But with it on and while (for example) turning as I accelerated into busy Hwy 41 traffic from the Benz dealer, I could feel the two rear wheels competing for traction, which was neither smooth nor reassuring. Later there was one brief but sharp pull to the left when I floored it on I75.

That's when I decided that unless the RS6 I had ordered was somehow a huge disappointment, I would prefer it to the E55 on the basis of AWD alone.

It wasn't. I passed 12,000 miles yesterday.

ksurg
December 1st, 2003, 03:40
Thanks for the responses. I would lease but so far the rates they have quoted are very high due to low residuals on the vehicle.:0:

noushy
December 1st, 2003, 05:30
I am impressed by the quality of the writing above. Straight to the point, and honestly seems unbiased. I too though of the E55, and the issue of quattro was right at the front. I live in michigan, where the weather changes more often than a politician's vote. Anyways, we have had two previous audis, including my wife's S6 avant which I have personally driven in rain, snow, storms, bad roads and middle of the night excursions and can say that quattro has made it possible. As for the residuals being low, you are right, the lease deals are pretty crummy, but if you want the car, in the end it is cheaper to purchase so that should be your deciding factor and also if you can deduct a portion for a business expense. I just got mine, so I cannot tell you all of the driving issues yet, but email me with questions or specifics.

W211
December 1st, 2003, 10:02
Thanks for the comparison notes everyone.

Here in Canada, the RS6 is not available but it's interesting to read all the owners' feedback here.

I have had my 2004 E55 for over a month now and I would agree with the lack of traction comment. The interior however I find quite well appointed. The DVD navigation and the way it integrates with telematics is very nice. The active bi-xenon is also a great feature. (So, while I can see better than the RS6 in the rain, I cannot go as fast as I do not have the magic quattro.)

I drive very aggressively on the road but do not possess the skills to push the car to its limit so for me, the handling is more than sufficient. In fact, one of the virtues of the E55 is that the ride is quite smooth with the variable suspension and the throttle tip in is quite gradual making the E55 an ideal day to day car.

Needless to say, the E55 will be the wrong car for the track, I can't imagine how the beast will behave with late braking?!

One RS6 advantage you guys have not mentioned is the roomy interior, it is much roomier than the E55 in the back.

If the RS6 was available, my biggest concern would be the expensive cost of ownership due to the depreciation. By the way, is the ride really that harsh?!

wasn
December 1st, 2003, 10:15
I've actually both vehicle back to back on the same day accross the same terrain. Even in the dry the E55 CANNOT get the power to the ground effectively without ESP going apeshit and then slowly feeds the power back on but rolling from 100kays onward it's a deceptively fast car, but for day to day driving the RS6 is a much better drive and comfy ones, as we get the electric recaros in australia. and depreciation of E55 with a few kays on them is a joke. i've only driven these cars on dry surface i wouldn't even bother to in the wet and it rains alot here in australia.

W211
December 1st, 2003, 10:23
Originally posted by JAXRS6
It is a magazine, right? My web search turned up Classic & Sports Car magazine, and Sports Car Market magazine, but neither listed any comparo between the RS6 and E55. Not surprising, since both mags seem to target restored vehicles.

Anyhow, I'd like to read the comparo. Anyone got a web address that'll work?

It's the January 2004 issue, I can't find it on the internet but I have a copy in front of me. It has 7 pages and I'll type up the wrap-up:

Wrap-Up

By nightfall, this dynamic duo has impressed us both. These are perhaps two of the best-matched vehicles on the planet in purpose and ability, yet also two of the most divergent in feel. Both are tasteful, exclusive and able to do more damage to one’s driving privileges than just about anything with four doors in the history of the automobile. But one of these super-sedans clearly shines more brightly than the other and it only takes Pete a moment to concur. "The Audi never fails to make you grin when the boost kicks in," he explains, "and like other Audis it will turn in all the right numbers. But that only makes the shockingly good E55 seem that much better because you constantly can’t believe how fast it is truly is, nor how satisfying it is to throw into a corner."

The Audi is a very, very good car that falls just a hair short of being a great one. The engine has more than enough grunt, if only it delivered it all the time. The paddle-shift Tiptronic works great, if only it wasn’t limited by a chassis that falls apart when pushes past seven-tenths. The Mercedes isn’t perfect either, but it has a nearly flawless drivetrain and a chassis that’s as cosseting around town as it is entertaining on a backroad. Throw in the sumptuous interior, not to mention a base price that’s a full $6,000 less than the Audi’s and the E55 emerges as king of the supersedan segment – at least until the next M5 appears.

Alan
December 1st, 2003, 17:23
From Sports Car International about the RS6 - "if only it wasn’t limited by a chassis that falls apart when pushes past seven-tenths."

From C&D about the E55- "In high speed corners and fast transitions, both the BMW (M5) and the Audi (RS6) inspired more confidence."

Must be fun to test drive cars for a living.

My other comment: Every year around now, I put my Porsches to sleep for the winter. The MB dealer told me not to drive the E55 during the winter, even with snow tires. I'll be darned if I'd own a 5 passenger sedan that I have to put away because it might rain or snow.

Therefore, Clear winner: RS6:addict:

ksurg
December 1st, 2003, 17:33
Do you need to take contributions from special interest groups to be a car reviewer. I can just imagine sitting in the editors office with the rankings done before the cars are actually driven..."OK boys go out and find how we can support this conclusion".
You can't drive the E55 past 5/10's on dry pavement so you can't stress the chasis.:bang:

JAXRS6
December 2nd, 2003, 03:19
At least that's what someone wrote in reply to my "Headlights & paint" thread here a couple of months ago. He was responding to my comment that the RS6 headlights seem to be generations better than anything I'd experienced.

As for whether they're "active," I'm not sure what you mean by that, but mine often lower their beams, then raise them back, when I turn them on -- adjusting for proper alignment, I presume.

sturs6
December 2nd, 2003, 04:20
I would call them active... drive at night and watch as you lightly tap the brakes one can see the headlights raise to stay in the level position and the same with exceleration they go down to stay level... I just wish they were as active as the new LED's on the W12 A8... anyway I digress. :hihi:

:addict:

W211
December 2nd, 2003, 11:58
Originally posted by JAXRS6
At least that's what someone wrote in reply to my "Headlights & paint" thread here a couple of months ago. He was responding to my comment that the RS6 headlights seem to be generations better than anything I'd experienced.

As for whether they're "active," I'm not sure what you mean by that, but mine often lower their beams, then raise them back, when I turn them on -- adjusting for proper alignment, I presume.

Thanks for the reply. I agree Audi lights in general are pretty good.

From personal experience, the MB W210 used to have pretty average lights (even with xenons), however, the lights on the W211 had made a huge improvement, they now not adjust vertically but also horizontally, taking into the vehicle's speed as it enters into a corner to help you see better.

I'm sure the technology will become standard very soon in most high-end German cars.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2021107.004/mercedes-benz/1.html

Snow
December 2nd, 2003, 14:59
Originally posted by W211
...however, the lights on the W211 had made a huge improvement, they now not adjust vertically but also horizontally, taking into the vehicle's speed as it enters into a corner to help you see better.

I'm sure the technology will become standard very soon in most high-end German cars.

http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2021107.004/mercedes-benz/1.html Is it just me who's thinking Citroën? They've tried it (lights that follow the the steering) way back and it didn't become a success. Let's see what the future holds for us.

JP4
December 2nd, 2003, 15:13
Originally posted by GoFastKindaGuy

God, that trip to Milan was fun!:incar:

Welcome home gofast. Glad to hear you had such a good trip.

JP4 :bye: