PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled Service Intervals?

eph94
November 26th, 2003, 21:01
Just wondering was the scheduled maintenance intervals are for the RS6.

My car beginning at 3500 miles notified me that I had "Service Due in 1500 miles" and at 4000 miles "Service Due in 1000 miles." Well, to make a long story short, I brought the car in for the 5000 mile service, the work was performed, and THEN I was told that I had to pay for it. I was told that the 5K service is not part of the scheduled maintence program and that the car was set incorrectly at the factory to notify me. The fact that the car was delivered to me with an incorrect setting was my problem and not theirs and I had to pay the $176.14 for an oil change and topping off of fluids (they discounted $30 for my trouble, big deal).

This doesn't pass the "sniff test" and I feel as though I was raked over the coals for a less than two Benjamins. Penny wise; pound foolish.

Should I just take a deep breath and let it go?

My wife suggested that I get rid of the car so I never have to deal with the dealer again, but they already made their money off me. Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite the face.

Speedracer
November 26th, 2003, 22:03
I'd call Audi and complain to them that the car was not thoroughly prepped and tell them you want the dealer to refund your money. If you get no satisfaction, flame the hell out of both of them online.

Alan
November 26th, 2003, 22:13
Just spoke with my service writer who says "ignore the book, 10K service is the first service and we pay for that - if you choose to bring it in at 5K miles you pay for the service". So then I asked to speak to one of the senior service advisors who tells me that 5K miles IS the first service and AUDI DOES PAY FOR IT!

I'd suggest that you call Mike Desantis - he is a RS6 Audi Advocate - he is at 866-892-2834 ext 43574. Let him get you your money back for the service.

BTW, at 4500 miles, I still have not seen any message from the service indicator you mentioned that I need an oil change in 500 miles. Where is the service indicator located (maybe I should read the manual - naaah)

This reinforces the point of my post - I wonder if Audi service knows anything about the RS6.

Alan
November 26th, 2003, 22:24
Just went out and hit the button for my serice indicator and it says that I need a service in 5800 miles - I have 4200 miles on my car so that means the car's computer is telling me that the first service is at 10K miles, but the maintenance booklet says it is at 5K miles.

OY VAY

john hulbrock
November 27th, 2003, 02:24
My rs6 is reminding me that a 5000 mile service is due in 1500 miles( I have 3500 miles on the car) .

I will call my service rep. and inquire if this service is covered- Even if it is not covered I would change the oil and filter- I know on my M5 they recommend draining and replacing the rear axle fluid and gearbox oil at 1500 miles which they did at NO CHARGE!
John

rs6w
November 27th, 2003, 07:58
Pull out the service book!

First service is at 5000 miles with oil change intervals 10K there afeter. ( note first timing belt change is at 35K...)

JAXRS6
November 27th, 2003, 17:52
I was on the road out West as I approached 5K mi so I called ahead to the dealer in Salt Lake City. Mine was their first oil change for an RS6 (August) and they had to order the oil; took a day or two. But they paid for it, no questions asked.

The maintenace manual (separate from the owers manual) is clear about needing a first oil change and maintenance at 5K mi, then the next at 15K mi, then 25K, 35K, 45K -- in other words, intervals of 10K after the first change at 5K. (Then it's a little different after 45K; see for yourself). Some might argue that more frequent changes are wise, but that's what the book recommends -- and the warranty authorizes. Personally I plan to change more often if I track the car.

My dealer was pretty clear about oil changes & other scheduled maintenance being covered up to 50K mi or 4 years. I believe this is AoA policy, not a dealer option, and it has been in place for all Audis since the 2001 model year.

Therefore, IMO any U.S. dealer seeking payment for any scheduled maintenance up to the 50/4 limit (including 5K oil change) is full of sh*t.

Have you heard from your "owner advocate" yet? Mine contacted me about 4-5 weeks after I took delivery, and that's who I'd call if I had this problem. Or, just call AoA. If you have already paid you should be reimbursed. Please keep us posted and consider naming the dealer if the issue persists.

BTW I highly recommend reading or at least skimming the maintenance and owners manuals. You'll learn not only about oil changes, but also features you may not know about & things you should not do because they will hurt the car -- such as towing (OK on a flat bed truck, but "pulling" will damage & possibly destroy the quattro -- on your dime). I know the owner's manual is huge, but so was your investment.

Benman
November 27th, 2003, 18:50
Like JAXRS6 says, it is definately worth taking a little time to check out the manuals. The service manual CLEARLY shows a mantenance due at 5000 miles. Simply show the dealer the book. I can't believe that your dealer is telling you that the computer being set wrong is your problem:confused: :vvangry: :confused: Does that mean that the maintenance book is also a misprint?!?
To be fair to the dealer many of them DO NOT KNOW the proper maintenance scheduals as Audi has NOT given some of them the bulletins (mine even asked to make copies of my service manual so they could complain to AOA why they did NOT have this info already!)

If after being Mr. Nice guy doesn't work than i would take the matter up with AOA DIRECT!!! You should not be out ONE SINGLE DIME until warranty is up!

:cheers:

Ben:addict:

eph94
November 28th, 2003, 02:19
I'm going to take it up with the service manager first. My service writer acted like a word that rhymes with rock (and is part of the male anatomy) so I didn't even want to argue with him. He was unbending as if he was trained at a shady used car dealership. If this does not get resolved in a satisfactory manner, I will definitely go public with all those involved.

ksurg
November 28th, 2003, 03:36
It's interesting. When I tried to negotiate a better price on a RS-6 the sales rep explained about the $100K plus of equipment and training that was necessary for a dealership to "qualify" to even sell the RS-6. The implication was that not all dealerships would qualify to sell the RS-6 nor could they afford to sell the vehicle below MSRP because they needed to recoupe costs. Was this all rhetoric?I can believe the extra cost needed to service a high performance vehicle but not the ignorance. If they have the savvy to praise the attributes you can bet they know the maintenance needs and costs. Either they are "pulling are chains" or they lied about their training. I am seriously beginning to doubt whether I will buy the car for MSRP. Maybe I'll have them put in writing "free service for 50K miles or 4 years...whichever comes last.":cheers:

JAXRS6
November 28th, 2003, 04:11
Originally posted by ksurg
Maybe I'll have them put in writing "free service for 50K miles or 4 years...whichever comes last.":cheers:

It's already in writing, although the limit is which comes first, not last. Page 12 of th USA Warranty book for 2003 Audi models (different from the Owner's Manual and the Maintenance booklet) begins with the following:

"All Audi scheduled Maintenances described in the Audi Maintenance booklet are covered free-of-charge for 4 years or 50,000 miles, which ever occurs first."

And since the Maintenance book specifies oil changes & maintenance beginning at 5K miles...well, that's pretty clear, isn't it? You pay nothing, regardless of what some uninformed dealer employee might say, and the proof is right in the literature that comes with the car.

ksurg
November 28th, 2003, 05:09
I was only joking... I realise it's 4 years or 50K which ever comes first. In all honesty I have had pretty good luck with service locally so far. I don't antiicipate a problem but I would like to get a better purchase price.:p

Finnus
November 28th, 2003, 23:25
I had a 5,000 mile service at my dealer - no charge.

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

eph94
November 29th, 2003, 21:24
After b-tching and moaning to the General Manager, the dealer is refunding my money. This was an utterly unnecesary exercise. I hate how the service writer just dug in and wouldn't accept the possibility of a 5K service. I have too much stress in my life to deal with this crap. And for the first time ever, I dreamed about how it would like to be coddled by a Lexus dealer. Heresy!!! Why can't the Germans get customer service right? It's not any better at my local BMW dealer either.