PDA

View Full Version : RS6 Exhaust Temp Sensors

2000c43
June 4th, 2014, 21:00
My RS6 had a yellow check engine light come on. My independent mechanic checked the codes and found one bad exhaust temp sensor and a few other misc codes. He says that we should change both sensors and an engine drop is required. My question is (1) is an engine drop required and (2) if so, what else should be done "while you are in there". My car has 107,000 miles and is due for a timing belt. The belt shows wear and cracking so the timing belt needs to be changed regardless of the exhaust temp sensor(s). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mdegracia
June 4th, 2014, 21:09
Yes, engine drop, and both egts.
Full t belt kit with new water pump and serpentine belt tensioner
Delete SAI, gut the pre-cats, and delete the rear O2s if you can being in CA.
Replace upstream O2 sensor
Buffkin oil pipe
Cam tensioner seals
Valve cover seals
Eng Temp sensor

mdegracia
June 4th, 2014, 21:10
Yes, engine drop, and both egts.
Full t belt kit with new water pump and serpentine belt tensioner
Delete SAI, gut the pre-cats, and delete the rear O2s if you can being in CA.
Replace upstream O2 sensor
Buffkin oil pipe
Cam tensioner seals
Valve cover seals
Eng Temp sensor

2000c43
June 4th, 2014, 21:38
Thank you mdegracia. That is a great list and definitely hadn't thought of all those items, but it makes sense. Probably will not do the third item on the list, "delete SAI, gut the pre-cats, and delete the rear O2s" for smog and registration reasons in California. I am not familiar with the Buffkin Oil Pipe though...could you please let me know what that is and where to get it. Thanks again.

2000c43
June 4th, 2014, 22:31
I found it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Audi-oil-cooler-pipe-for-4-2L-V8-Engine-A8-A6-RS6-Phaeton-/261324657410?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ARS6&hash=item3cd829d302&vxp=mtr

Beardown1
June 5th, 2014, 00:40
FWIW A good Indy shop should be able to replace EGTs without dropping the whole engine. They can remove the subframe and tilt the motor back in order to get to the sensors.

ttboost
June 5th, 2014, 01:19
FWIW A good Indy shop should be able to replace EGTs without dropping the whole engine. They can remove the subframe and tilt the motor back in order to get to the sensors.
I think that whole list can be done with the motor in...just in service position...

2000c43
June 5th, 2014, 01:26
I think that whole list can be done with the motor in...just in service position...

That would be even better if the whole list can be done in service mode. Any idea of the total cost for an independent shop to do the following list in service mode and/or by dropping the engine:

1) replace both exhaust temperature sensors
2) full timing belt kit with new water pump and serpentine belt tensioner
3) replace upstream O2 sensor
4) replace oil pipe with Bufkin oil pipe ($27 on ebay)
5) replace cam tensioner seals
6) replace valve cover seals

Beardown1
June 5th, 2014, 02:05
My guess would be $3,000 - $4,000.........at least around here.......everything is mo money in Cali. You could do it yourself for about $1,500 in parts though!

Bigglezworth
June 5th, 2014, 05:38
EGT's can be replaced without dropping the engine. You can lower just the rear while things still sit in the cradle as long as you aren't stressing the mounts too much and gain sufficient access to use a wrench to remove. If you have the SAI removed, you can get to the EGT's from the top. Before you abandon the existing EGT that is throwing a code though, you should look to crack the case open and resolder the connections inside. They frequently crack and fail due to engine compartment high temps. MANY have had sensors restorted to operating condition by performing the resoldering effort.

2000c43
July 20th, 2014, 05:27
Thank you bigglezworth for the tip. You were correct. I followed the thread below and fixed the EGT sensors. Its been a few days and the check engine light has not come back. Really happy and thanks so much for the advice!

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/31390-EGT-Sensor-info-and-easy-fix-(old-news)