PDA

View Full Version : Aux radiator delete question

Beardown1
June 4th, 2014, 16:09
As part of my r&r of the SJP and other items buried under the manifold I removed my drivers intercooler to replace. I purchased Greg's (RAUDI) ICs a few months ago so that I could JB Weld for just such an occasion. His ICs don't have the aux radiators and I wouldn't mind getting rid of them anyway. My question is would there be any potential problems with only removing one of the aux rads? I am ready to button this thing up and the passenger IC is not leaking. Please no doomsday prophecies about the engine exploding, etc :hey:......what do you think?

lswing
June 4th, 2014, 17:49
Ahem....

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26894-Removed-Auxiliary-Radiators

No problems here, but it hardly ever gets above 85, and when it does it's maybe a month out of the year. I would like the security of extra cooling if driving in warm weather a lot.

nene
June 4th, 2014, 20:59
I thought of doing that at first, given that my driver's side appeared so much easier to remove than passenger side.
I would assume that there is no reason you can't go with removal of a solo aux radiator, and leave one behind.

Your car will weigh more on the passenger side, given the battery is also there.... j/k.
I vote: go for it.

June 4th, 2014, 23:21
Go for it...I did both of mine with no issues. I'm not sure how just one goes though. Since the bumper is already off, why don't you just whack the other one as well?

Bigglezworth
June 5th, 2014, 05:44
As part of my r&r of the SJP and other items buried under the manifold I removed my drivers intercooler to replace. I purchased Greg's (RAUDI) ICs a few months ago so that I could JB Weld for just such an occasion. His ICs don't have the aux radiators and I wouldn't mind getting rid of them anyway. My question is would there be any potential problems with only removing one of the aux rads? I am ready to button this thing up and the passenger IC is not leaking. Please no doomsday prophecies about the engine exploding, etc :hey:......what do you think?Both aux rads run on the same circuit which is sequential. If you are decommissioning just one of the aux rads, you need to use a bypass hose where the rad used to me to ensure the circuit remains in tact. If you remove both, you can elect to either cap the circuit at the take off and return points to the main coolant pipes, or reverse the backflow valve and short the take-off and return runners. I have never removed just one aux rad, but in removing both have had success with both the capping and reversing the backflow valve as a solution.

hahnmgh63
June 5th, 2014, 11:12
This is everything you get rid of when you remove them completely.

Beardown1
June 5th, 2014, 12:51
Thanks for the info guys. I am planning to leave the piping and just splice where the rad used to be. I was actually thinking of trying to use some of the existing metal piping to make that circuit a little more direct as well.

nene
June 5th, 2014, 16:00
I did not remove all that piping. I simply removed the radiators, and got a longer set of hose to plug the pipes back together.
The small/short hoses that connected the pipes to the radiators were removed.

NSU RS6
June 5th, 2014, 16:32
I kind of like Mark's dissection. Geez, it is almost like Audi went into this with a minimum piping requirement. I presume this is an engine out coolercectomy?

Got a picture of the SAI parts removed?

If all this stuff is "not necessary", especially in the cooler climes of the PNW, I am all for getting rid of it.

lswing
June 5th, 2014, 17:05
I did not remove all that piping. I simply removed the radiators, and got a longer set of hose to plug the pipes back together.
The small/short hoses that connected the pipes to the radiators were removed.

I think that's what we did. Pull the radiators, complete the loop on each side. Coolant still circulates but without a radiator basically...

Beardown1
June 5th, 2014, 20:56
Okay I decided to go ahead with removal of pass IC as well. Just need to JB Weld that one now. What steel lines & hoses can be removed from aux radiator circuit? I know it's easiest to just use hose to bypass but would like to make as much room in the bay as possible. Biggz I remember seeing a post by you about reversing the back flow valve but can't seem to find it now. Also.... Haven't most people had leaks with those Napa caps? Has anyone used something better?

Thanks!!

Beardown1
June 6th, 2014, 12:55
Bump......

hahnmgh63
June 7th, 2014, 01:10
I've had the Napa caps in for over 3yrs. I am trying to source some Silicone caps to replace them with after this discussion re-ignited the idea of them failing.