PDA

View Full Version : Audi Driving School at Infineon Raceway!!

jimmy94507
November 22nd, 2003, 21:24
Just a quick note:
Four RS 6's attended and they all returned home with big smiles on the faces of owners and those who drove or rode in them!! No dings or dents!
Attendees:
Benman
Bauer
Jimmy94507, and,
Rod J (who will be joining the forum)

A great weekend for every Audi driver and instructors.

Best regards, Jim
P.S. Hey JP4, 3 fast, agressive laps and the heat soak was evident.

JP4
November 23rd, 2003, 05:01
Originally posted by jimmy94507

P.S. Hey JP4, 3 fast, agressive laps and the heat soak was evident.

Jimmy,

Glad to hear you guys had such a great time. Who was your instructor? And .... can you elaborate on your comment about "heat soak was evident"?

I'm very interested in all your obsevations.

JP4 :addict:

jimmy94507
November 23rd, 2003, 15:37
Hi JP4,
You had mentioned brake fade after some hot laps. When Mark Franklin (Chris's instructor) drove some aggressive laps, we got some sponginess in T-11 at the end of the 3rd lap! Less aggressive on the brakes the next lap and they had cooled enough to be firm. Personally, I didn't have the problem until late on the 2nd day (slowly building up my confidence on the lines, and adding speed).

I had talked to Rod Bymaster (manager of Audi Sport North America) about racing brake fluid voiding the RS 6 warranty. His explanation was that AoA had not tested these kinds of fluids in the system so they couldn't authorize their use (CYA in play here?? ALL us RS 6 owners should press AoA to test and recommend a higher temp fluid for use in Audi Driving Schools!! ). He also advised that on the Champion RS 6's, they continually had brake temp. issues (heat soak) until they finally added enough cooling with ducting to the front rotors and then additional ducting to the caliper body.

Oh, my instructor was Craig Liechty from Ohio. Very good and helped me come to grips with the track and the car! Larry Boyer was the classroom instructor. Local instructors and others from all over the US. Michael Galatti and Randy Pobst were there and gave lots of demo rides in participants cars!! I'll post more later.

Benman and Bauer (Jen also), looking forward to your comments about the event.

Regards, Jim

Benman
November 24th, 2003, 00:20
WOW,

A great time for sure. It was very special that the Audi Club had as a suprise BOTH Pobst AND Galati there to hang out and give out rides! I learned a lot about how the Beasts handles at the limit (and past:D ). The drive with Galati was the best of all. To see what the car can REALLY do with a REAL pro behind the wheel.

I simply coud not believe that some in attendance (non RS 6 guys) actually PASSED on this rare treat?!? One guy told me (who owned a modded 2.7T) "I won't let Galati or Pobst drive my car cause they'll abuse it". But the very same bonehead had one of the instructors flogging his car around the track to show off for one of the students. I felt like telling him "let me get this straight, you won't let an Audi champion beat your car but you'll let some wannabe beat your car:confused: :confused: :confused: "

Anyway a really good time spent with good people. I'm definately looking forward to my next Audi event.

Bauer
Jimmy
Rod
:cheers: :cheers:
Ben:addict: :addict:

JP4
November 24th, 2003, 03:47
Jimmy,

Thanks for the recap. Sounds like you guys had about the same issues with brakes as I did. I'm very jealous that Galati and Pobst were there. What a treat that must have been for you all, especially the RS6 owners. I don't know Craig Liechty very well but I've met him. And I DO know Larry Boyer pretty well. He's instructed at several of the schools that I've been too here in the midwest. I think his demeanor, sense of humor and teaching abilities are first rate.

Benman,

Who was your instructor? And which instructor was flogging the other students RS6? Just curious!

++++++++++++++++++

I hope you guys got some pictures to share!

JP4 :incar:

Bauer
November 24th, 2003, 17:54
Jimmy, Benmann,

Great time meeting you Ben and seeing you again Jim. I can't tell you how much fun I had at this event, it was my first one but will not be my last. Learned a lot and meet some really nice people. If none of you have ever done one of the AoA events, I highly recommend it.

Larry Boyer was great to learn from, he made the class room time fly by and very enjoyable. My in car instructor was Chuck Price, I had a really good time getting to know Chuck and learning from him. I hope to see Larry and Chuck at other events.

As for the break issue I did not notice there being a problem, but I was a little easier on them since reading about some issues that other owners had.

My wife Jennifer drove our S8 and got, I think 3 laps of instruction(in my RS6) from Randy Pobst and a two laps with him driving(again in my RS6). I told her to take the RS6 as she would have more fun in it. She said she would post about her experience......I will keep harassing her until she does.:D :D . As I have taken enough crap from her about posting and what she likes to call my car "dates" with other owners.

I am going to have to get some track rims and tires......for both the RS6 and the S8(my wife is as addicted as I am).......this is not going to get any cheaper:MTM:

:cheers:

JP4
November 24th, 2003, 20:18
Originally posted by Bauer

I am going to have to get some track rims and tires......for both the RS6 and the S8(my wife is as addicted as I am).......this is not going to get any cheaper:MTM:

I'm loving it Bauer....and your are ABSOLUTELY right. It's not getting any cheaper for sure but it's a heck of a good time. Glad to hear your wife is enjoying it too.

:addict: :incar:

Benman
November 25th, 2003, 04:15
Originally posted by JP4
Benman,
Who was your instructor? And which instructor was flogging the other students RS6? Just curious!

My instructor was Danny Sullivan (and no, not THE Danny Sullivan). A very nice older gentleman who wasn't overly babysitter (some are).

As for the instructor who was flogging the guys 2.7T, i'm not not sure what his name was but i did ask if he was a professional driver (the answer was no). But my point was the jackwad GAVE him permission to flogg his car. But as for Galati or Pobst? No, cause they would REALLY flogg his car.:confused: :confused:

JP4
November 25th, 2003, 04:22
Originally posted by Benman
My instructor was Danny Sullivan (and no, not THE Danny Sullivan). A very nice older gentleman who wasn't overly babysitter (some are).

As for the instructor who was flogging the guys 2.7T, i'm not not sure what his name was but i did ask if he was a professional driver (the answer was no). But my point was the jackwad GAVE him permission to flogg his car. But as for Galati or Pobst? No, cause they would REALLY flogg his car.:confused: :confused:

I understand what your saying completely Benman. Glad your weekend went so well too.

ming 2.7t
November 25th, 2003, 16:20
Originally posted by Benman

I am the jackwad, dickhead. After experiencing a professionals track time in my car the brakes pads and rotors were not up to snuff and ended up costing me money because they deteriated and grooved the the rotors. Left me with a bad feeling. After talking to you and watching the rest of the day(first day),
I let the instructor go out with the car for my daughter. ANd although he was moving he told me he did keep it tame. He was very good - he had the purpleish E36 M3.
I decided to go out with with Pobst late Thursday. Also I had thought back to what the car went through with the brakes, and figured the new setup would be able to take the heat. SO off we went and it was a blast. They are incredible with what they can do and make it look very easy. The brakes were up to the test, stoptechs and pagid oranges..
The 2nd day my instructor and or Randy took my daughter for rides. Both in my car and in the M3.
So yes, I was cautious because of a bad experience, but again after talking to you it seemed since I had upgraded, it would be fine. SO I did it. No other student was in my car , except when my daughter got rides, we had 1 helmet so, it was either her or me and I let her have 90% of the track time Friday. so I had to have an instructor drive the car.
And my fears about letting a racer drive the car is that sometimes they will have no regard for the car.( as I had found out first hand) they will drive it to its edge or past it and oh well.
My instructor after driving with him was very good and was not going to thrash the car around irresponsiblely.
Those are my jackwad opinions( as you have so nicely called me).
Oh the driver that cost me rotors and pads was John Morton. Plus he was passing left and right side regardless. I had a phobia : )) about racers after that!! TIll we yapped about it that day.
Also turns out that my instructors does fill in for endurance races and such. Don't remember what other professional racing he has done. Have a nice day.

Bauer
November 25th, 2003, 17:34
My wife and I spent time talking with Randy and getting to know him. If none of you have met him he is a great guy who feels very lucky to have the life he does. Also, after speaking with him he seemed to be a very responsiable person who care about others and their belongings. I had NO CONCERN what so ever about having him drive my wife and my RS6 around the track at speeds. I would let him do it again in a heart beat....my only regret is that I did not get the opportunity to get a ride with him. I think it comes down to letting responsiable people drive your car and not just anyone, regardless of their experience.:cheers:

ming 2.7t
November 25th, 2003, 19:44
Originally posted by Bauer
My wife and I spent time talking with Randy and getting to know him. If none of you have met him he is a great guy who feels very lucky to have the life he does. Also, after speaking with him he seemed to be a very responsiable person who care about others and their belongings. I had NO CONCERN what so ever about having him drive my wife and my RS6 around the track at speeds. I would let him do it again in a heart beat....my only regret is that I did not get the opportunity to get a ride with him. I think it comes down to letting responsiable people drive your car and not just anyone, regardless of their experience.:cheers:

Yes you are right. Its the person that makes the difference. It was too bad my view was tarnished after the track when I had smoke billowing out of my front wheel wells after a ride with Mr Morton.
Randy Pobst is a very nice person. And I did trust my daughter to take a ride with him. We met him at Laguna Seca and the Champion Team treated her like a queen. Randy was then lifted to Hero status in her eyes. They had been emailing each other, just yapping, and Randy emailed me about 2 weeks ago and asked if we were going to the Sears Point Audi Event since he will be there. I hadnt even planned on going, but that Friday my daughter had a great report card from school, so I decided to surprise her and try to make it to Sonoma. We made it in(got approval) a week before the event and Randy emails me and says he might not be able to make it, since Audi now has a press event in Texas for him to do. I was like, dang, that would have been cool for my daughter but we would still go and have fun and try to get her on the track.
Then Friday Nov 14th, Randy calls me on my cell phone and says he will be there late Thursday afternoon. I didnt tell my daughter and she was suprised when he drove up to the hot pit area in the VW and he sees her and yells out, Hey Kirsten!! Needless to say she was thrilled, ( her hero had just arrived : ) ).
It made the trip complete. Plus she got to sit next to him at the dinner for a little bit too!.
On Thursday I drove with Randy sitting in the next seat and then after 2-3 laps he took over, he was to drive for 2 laps then we would get my daughter in for 2 laps, but the session was ended before she could get in. Randy was a pleasure to drive with, it erased my fears that sometimes people who race for a living may not care they are at the cars limits like brakes and keep pushing because they are good enough to overcome. But I would,and did, let Randy drive my car any time. Randy is a class act and I am glad that my daughter chose him for her idol .
I have a video of the couple of laps of Randy and my daughter, I am trying to get them up loaded to the net and will post a link here if you are interested.

Bauer
November 25th, 2003, 21:12
I had the video camera in my car for the event and got the video of Randy instructing my wife for 2 or 3 laps but when it came time for Randy to take the drivers seat.....I forgot to hit the record button:rolleyes: ....oh well such is life...if you have video I would love to see it.:cheers:

Ernesto (ERT)
November 26th, 2003, 03:16
Jim, Ben Bauer and Mike (Ming)-

Thanks for sharing your thoughts/experiences about the event. How I regret being 'responsible' at work and not taking those days off now that I look back. And when I heard about Randy and Michael being there, well... you can't imagine how bummed out I was. I'm hoping to live vicariously through some of your videos. (Jyoteen has videos of Randy driving his Carrera 4s).

Mike- I'm glad you took up your daughter to see the race. I remember seeing the two of you a ALMS @ Laguna, and took some mental notes that when I'm lucky enough to have kids, I should introduce them to auto racing the way you've done. Seeing her get the "queen" treatment at the Champion pit at ALMS was a real treat, and elevated the level of respect I have for the team, Randy and Michael. It is such a pleasure to cheer on for a group of genuinely nice people who love what they do, and are willing to share it with the everyone.

Looks like Laguna is the next NorCal event, so by then I should be used to my Stasis suspension, and ready to spend some time trying to catch up to each of your RS6's in my 2.7T.

And for the yank's on this board- have a great Thanksgiving, :cheers: hoping you have time to share and reflect on the many blessings we all have... including the privilege of driving these fine automobiles.

Cheers-
Ernesto :incar:

Benman
November 26th, 2003, 04:12
Originally posted by ming 2.7t
I am the jackwad, dickhead.

Watch the language. This isn't audiworld afterall:D By the way, nice to see you changed your mind from when you were speaking to me. You (and your daughter) would have REALLY regretted passing up an opportunity like that.

Ben:addict:

Ernesto (ERT)
November 26th, 2003, 05:46
Here is the URL:
http://www.motorsportvisions.com/qcusa/index.htm

And for RS6.com's local celebs we have:
Bauer
http://motorsportvisions.com/acfbn03/a_group/pages/IMG_5791.htm

and Mrs. Bauer
http://motorsportvisions.com/acfbn03/a_group/pages/IMG_5792.htm

Looks like a blast.

Cheers-
=ERT=

Bauer
November 26th, 2003, 15:42
Ernesto-

Sorry you could not make it, a great time was had by all (except the guy in the rented boxer S that put it in a tire wall:eek: )

Jen and I will most likely be at Laguna Seca. There is also an event at the Thunderhill in willows in January I believe which we may attened as well.

Btw thanks for pulling the pics:cheers:

Have a great Thanksgiving all

eph94
March 13th, 2004, 22:02
I had talked to Rod Bymaster (manager of Audi Sport North America) about racing brake fluid voiding the RS 6 warranty. His explanation was that AoA had not tested these kinds of fluids in the system so they couldn't authorize their use (CYA in play here?? ALL us RS 6 owners should press AoA to test and recommend a higher temp fluid for use in Audi Driving Schools!! ).

I'm reviving an old thread here because it's coming to that time of the year again where we will have the opportunity to take our RS6's back to the track. I've searched the archives, and I couldn't find any specific posts about preparing the car for the track.

The BMW club folk recommend changing the brake fluid to a racing fluid with higher boiling temps as their #1 recommendation, followed by getting aftermarket performance pads.

Just so I understand this correctly, if I put racing brake fluid in the car, does it void the ENTIRE warranty or just brake-related issues? I would hate to see a failed catalytic converter not be covered under warranty because I put non-OEM brake fluid in the brakes.

Second, what aftermarket pads are you all using and who do you recommend as a supplier? I would like to have some spare pads in my kit before heading out to Lime Rock Park at the end of this month. I could also go to the dealer, but I'm curious to see if any of you have gone in a different direction.

Thanks!

Benman
March 13th, 2004, 23:23
Originally posted by JJV-MA
I'm reviving an old thread here because it's coming to that time of the year again where we will have the opportunity to take our RS6's back to the track. I've searched the archives, and I couldn't find any specific posts about preparing the car for the track.

Just so I understand this correctly, if I put racing brake fluid in the car, does it void the ENTIRE warranty or just brake-related issues?

Second, what aftermarket pads are you all using and who do you recommend as a supplier?
Thanks!

This might sound pretty uncaring but this is my solution. Run completely stock everything unless AOA says otherwise. That way the car is FULLY warrantied. If you should then in fact fry your brakes, well then Audi will be buying you some new ones (like they did on mine!) Then after a couple of brake jobs (under warranty of course) they will then finally specify that it is OK to use higher spec fluids and i would'nt be suprised if they said better pads could be used as well.

Until it's out of warranty i don't worry about it!:0:

Ben:addict:

JAXRS6
March 14th, 2004, 06:50
Benman may have the right approach, but this subject came up this week as I pondered taking my beast to Sebring for a Chin Motorsports driving school & I want to share what I was told. I've seen enough complaints here about brake fade etc. at the track that I wanted to prepare before going, so I got in touch with the motorsports divisions of two FL dealers. Each recommended stainless steel brake lines (Brembo), pads (Paget I think), and fluid with a higher boiling point.

Warranty was my biggest concern before proceeding, so I asked & was told by both dealers that such changes would have no impact on warranty. Then I called the dealer in Michigan that sold me the car, since I'll be going up there for the summer & also because this dealer has been pretty strict about not covering warranty if mods are causing the problem. But the Michigan dealer said I "absolutely" would be covered.

The fact that I would have the dealers perform the changes may have something to do with it; I don't know. But final warranty judgments are up to AOA, not dealers, so it may be wise to ask AOA first. I'm thinking about a call to my AOA owner advocate on Monday to discuss this very subject.

BTW AOA issued a memo a few years ago that seemed to say problems caused by mods will not be covered under warranty -- and by implication, problems not caused by mods will be covered.

Finnus
March 14th, 2004, 12:01
Four RS6s together and Galati and Pobst and no pictures?

Finnus

:addict:

PS Thanks for the writeups, sounds like it was a blast!

eph94
March 14th, 2004, 22:07
Originally posted by JAXRS6
I'm thinking about a call to my AOA owner advocate on Monday to discuss this very subject.

I will do the same. Last time I spoke with my advocate he made my dealer reimburse me after they charged me for the 5K scheduled maintenance. My dealer seems to be "behind the curve" in terms of general knowledge about the RS6.

jimmy94507
March 16th, 2004, 07:31
My Dealer service manager had told me my brake warranty would be void if I put in hi-temp aftermarket fluid (assuming Audi might find it in analyzing a brake warranty issue??) I've contacted my AoA Advocate prior to both Audi driving schools, Infineon and Laguna Seca. In both cases, he forwarded my inquiry to engineering who eventually came back and said they had not tested alternative fluids for the possible long-term effects they may have on the brake system components. They recommended the brake system be completely flushed with new Audi fluid prior to the events to ensure there was no moisture which had accummulated in the system. The "new" Audi fluid should perform adequately. Sounds like CYA. It would be a PR problem for them to recommend one brand over another, yet they don't have the resources to test a bunch of different brake fluids.

We all know that Champion is not using Audi fluid in their RS 6's. We can also be pretty confident that all other race cars sponsored by Audi are not using standard Audi fluid. i.e. DTM series, ALMS, etc.

I received a call from my AoA Advocate on Friday essentially saying to use the Audi fluid to be sure there will be no incompatibilities between other fluids and system components; seals, lines, etc.

I recommend all of your contact your AoA Advocate and press this issue for higher temp capable brake fluid to participate in Audi Club sponsored events! The more they hear from us, the more likely they will respond favorably.

Regards, Jim

Benman
March 16th, 2004, 15:07
My Dealer service manager had told me my brake warranty would be void if I put in hi-temp aftermarket fluid (assuming Audi might find it in analyzing a brake warranty issue??) I've contacted my AoA Advocate prior to both Audi driving schools, Infineon and Laguna Seca. In both cases, he forwarded my inquiry to engineering who eventually came back and said they had not tested alternative fluids for the possible long-term effects they may have on the brake system components.

I received a call from my AoA Advocate on Friday essentially saying to use the Audi fluid to be sure there will be no incompatibilities between other fluids and system components; seals, lines, etc.

I recommend all of your contact your AoA Advocate and press this issue for higher temp capable brake fluid to participate in Audi Club sponsored events! The more they hear from us, the more likely they will respond favorably.

Regards, Jim

Good research Jim. All the more reason for me to just use what the car came with. After all, there's no possible way i'm going to give AOA a way to void my warranty. Especially since i've not chipped my Beast! To loose a warranty on something as silly as brake lines and fluids is just not worth it IMHO. (after all, i'm not trying to build a race car, i'm just having fun with my Audi!):cheers:

Ben :addict:

Finnus
March 16th, 2004, 18:09
there's no possible way i'm going to give AOA a way to void my warranty

Ben,

I agree. Although part of me is really tempted to chip the Beast, considering the warranty it's about a 2 second daydream. Then I drive the Beast again ... :MTM:

Finnus
:addict:

eph94
March 16th, 2004, 18:38
After hearing the feedback from my dealer and reading what you all have uncovered here, I guess going to stay all stock. I will keep spare pads and brake fluid in case of failure at the track. The Boston BMWCCA club requires participants' brakes bled in the pre-event tech inspection no earlier than 4 weeks prior to the track day. I guess they see it as a worthwhile ounce of prevention.