PDA

View Full Version : Help!! RS6 blew right rear axle shaft on way to Carlisle!! Anyone?

04rs6cdn
May 17th, 2014, 01:23
Any chance any of you guys have a right rear axle shaft lying around or no where I can get one ? I was stuck on the side of I 81 for an hour and now the car has been towed to a local shop in Syracuse, got a rental and still on my way. Audi has no stock for this part so I am really stuck. So if there is one anywhere in the NE US I will happily take it please let me know. I will be at the show anyways wishing my car made it too

bmlee007
May 17th, 2014, 03:36
That's a bummer! I was hoping we'd have a nice group together at Carlisle, but now it looks like we're cut in half.

You could try to call Shokan, they're in NY and seem to have C5 parts on the shelf. Also, there is a big u-pull-it yard on I-81 south of Hazleton PA that could possibly help you out.

4everRS
May 17th, 2014, 04:59
Call raxels. They'll have them in stock

DHall1
May 17th, 2014, 14:07
Shokan

?..

04rs6cdn
May 17th, 2014, 15:27
Someone thinks the shafts on a A6 4.2 C5 are the same?? Can anyone confirm? Maybe a good Audi parts guy can tell me if I find one

SteveKen
May 17th, 2014, 16:22
That sucks. Sorry to hear.

If you are still headed to Carlisle, here is a guy parting out an S6 in the Harrisburg, PA area and you might be able to pick one up on Sunday on your return trip. The S6 & RS6 rear axles are the same.

http://forums.quattroworld.com/classifieds-parts/msgs/36763.phtml

I spoke with him yesterday and he's not available today but will be on Sunday.

Bigglezworth
May 17th, 2014, 16:58
Someone thinks the shafts on a A6 4.2 C5 are the same?? Can anyone confirm? Maybe a good Audi parts guy can tell me if I find one
S6 and RS6 are larger diameter than a base A6. That said, you are just trying to ensure you limp home too, so anything that has the same length, spline, etc., and bolts up will work in your situation I would think... You can then retrofit things back at home where you're not in panic mode away from everything.

04rs6cdn
May 18th, 2014, 01:12
Steveken any chance you could get him to call or text me 613 295 8087 wifi at hotel sucks and I can't seem to get on quattroworld thx a lot

SteveKen
May 18th, 2014, 03:40
I emailed him. Hopefully he gets in touch with you.

04rs6cdn
May 20th, 2014, 17:49
OK so I took the wheel off to have a look at what happened on my way back in the rental Sunday. Looks like the clip that holds the large washer at the base of the spring failed or broke, I had it in the lowest perch setting. This caused the spring and the base to fall down the shaft of the koni shock about 3 inches. At this postion it started to rub on the axle shaft causing a heat build up and before i could pull over ( I was in the middle of DT Syracuse traffic at the time it happened) The shaft broke and the car would not move. So would this had been an installation problem or Koni failure? I was there when my shop installed the shocks and I drove the car for 2 days plus 200 miles to syracuse before it let go. Is it possible the large washer at the base that rests on the clip has a right side up? Possibly installed upside down? Seems like alot of weight for a small C clip to hold up. http://www.koni-shop.com/img/p/9990787-10163-thickbox.jpg

lswing
May 20th, 2014, 19:41
Interesting, first I've heard of the c-lip failing to hold. I too thought it was really small to hold the weight, but I assume there are some physics to it that make sense?

Think I'll check mine on occasion, thanks for sharing the info, get back on the road soon!

nubcake
May 20th, 2014, 20:51
Is it possible the large washer at the base that rests on the clip has a right side up? Possibly installed upside down? Seems like alot of weight for a small C clip to hold up. http://www.koni-shop.com/img/p/9990787-10163-thickbox.jpg

If I remember correctly, the large "washer" thing indeed is directional. If installed properly, it "locks" the c-clip in place. Pay very close attention to its orientation when removing for inspection - it really looks like it was an installation mistake.

Bigglezworth
May 20th, 2014, 21:41
I was going to make a comment when I originally posted about it appearing from your photo that the axle was rubbing on something to the point it got thin and then torsened apart, but knowing the noise that would make and the fact that you didn't mention anything, dismissed the thought. As mentioned, the bottom seat for the strut has an up and down orientation in order to ensure proper functionality. Can't tell from your photo on which way you had it installed, but suspect that may be your root cause for failure. Good luck with the repair. At least you don't need to repressurize things or worse - drop the engine...

04rs6cdn
May 21st, 2014, 00:20
True but I did not hear any noise at all! It quietly ground down that shaft like a lathe I guess. lol Upstate Imports(thanks from mdegracia for a local shop he knows) in syracuse are taking it apart tomorrow