PDA

View Full Version : I think my clutch may be starting to go out :?

N_Stamp
May 10th, 2014, 03:15
So i downshifted from 5th to 4th and vrooooooooommmmm :revs: went the rpm needle! Any clutch suggestions?

Zmey
May 10th, 2014, 04:41
How many miles on the clutch?

using Steven Ken's adapter kit your options are limited to single disc clutch(unless I'm wrong). I'm going with spec stage 3+. Sounds like it can handle power, after reading supra forums and others.

RAUDI
May 10th, 2014, 12:45
My spec 3+ definitely holds the power. Not the most fun to drive in traffic. Especially once it's warmed up.

Sidenote - I drove a Ford Focus ST last night. I couldn't believe how heavy the clutch was. Our is like butter in comparison....oh and the torque steer. ughh spoiled.

Zmey
May 10th, 2014, 13:13
My spec 3+ definitely holds the power. Not the most fun to drive in traffic. Especially once it's warmed up.

Is your clutch a 6 puck or a full disc?

RAUDI
May 10th, 2014, 13:49
It's the full face. I still find mine to be very chattery at low RPM especially when warm. That material really grabs.

ttboost
May 10th, 2014, 13:58
Yep... Spec Stage 3+. I did a lot of homework before I did mine. The Spec is the only one that will hold the power and last a reasonable amount of time. It does take about 1000-1100 miles of break-in, but after that, it is manageable....not like stock, but manageable. For stock, non-flashed car, anything would be fine. Anything OTHER than that, anything other than a Spec Stage 3 could be a waste. Others have used other clutches, but not sure how much power they had and how long it lasted. I seem to recall my car making about 570ftlbs to the tires, and even the new owner who has put 7000 miles on it in the last 6 months isn't having an issue. As a side note, I only found it to be SLIGHTLY chattery in reverse, after break-in.

Avus-RS6
May 10th, 2014, 21:18
AMD has a variety of clutches that will work with our cars. I have their stage 5, could probably hold 800+wtq.

N_Stamp
May 10th, 2014, 21:57
I know I drove your car 100 feet your clutch is nuts lol. I want a clutch that is still dd'able. I will be doing trubos while i am in it too. Southbend only lasted 5k

ttboost
May 10th, 2014, 23:18
Holy crap. If my clutch only lasted 5000 miles, someone would be giving me a clutch for nothing...

hahnmgh63
May 11th, 2014, 05:16
Yea Holy Crap. If clutches only lasted 5K then you guys would be talking about doing a conversion to an Autobox :)

Zmey
May 11th, 2014, 13:24
Southbend only lasted 5k
Yikes. How would you describe your driving? Aggressive? do you track or drag race a lot?

lswing
May 11th, 2014, 15:07
Yea Holy Crap. If clutches only lasted 5K then you guys would be talking about doing a conversion to an Autobox :)

Ha! At least it will be cheaper for a new clutch...

mdegracia
May 12th, 2014, 16:59
What level south bend did you run that only lasted 5k? Stage 3 endurance?

Del Stator
May 20th, 2014, 17:50
I would also like to know how a South Bend clutch only lasted 5k miles??

ttboost
May 20th, 2014, 17:54
Nothing will last if you use it in a way for which it was not designed...ie, you have WAYYY more TQ than that clutch can hold...and then ask it to hold it for 5000 miles...

Del Stator
May 20th, 2014, 18:21
Nothing will last if you use it in a way for which it was not designed...ie, you have WAYYY more TQ than that clutch can hold...and then ask it to hold it for 5000 miles...

Yeah, I understand that.

I still would like to know what model of clutch and how it was driven...just for my own curiosity.

Avus-RS6
May 20th, 2014, 18:34
Whatever was in my car when I bought it slipped a few times on my drive home from buying the car, and once the GIAC tune was cleaned and we started upping the power with a custom tune it spun up hard. Pretty sure it was a Southbend stage 3 but I can't really remember for sure. Had about 12K+ miles on the clutch.

These cars make power and don't have to be held back with the 01E. The relatively small size of the clutch surface that fits on the 01e really limits its combo of power holding/drivability so the more power you go, you'll have to give something up in either longevity or drivability, probably both to a certain extent. Keep the power "stock" or basic chipped, and you can get a easy to drive clutch. High power you gotta pay to play.

Problem with the drivability of mine is that there is an over center on the pedal and the clutch grabs at the exact point of pop in the pedal. We're (Jason at AMD) going to fix that and it should make AMD stage 5 a tad easier to modulate. No one is excited for the engine drop so it may be a while.

ttboost
May 20th, 2014, 18:37
Well from what I've seen, SB's biggest baddest clutch is a Stage 4 that holds 575ft/lbs (I'm sure that's crank TQ)...that should tell you everything. My car with the 01E made 575 to the wheels...and my Spec was just fine.

Avus-RS6
May 20th, 2014, 18:42
Yep, I think Spec and AMD/CM have the go to clutches for power holding. My first stage 3 S4 spun up a relatively new SB clutch, haven't bought one since.