PDA

View Full Version : Mobil1 5w40

Dmb408
May 8th, 2014, 14:49
Does Mobil1 still make a 40 weight (i.e. for our car). It seems like they make everything but the normal synthetic in 40 weight. I'm a big Mobil1 fan and wasn't so swayed by my last change with Redline (some burned off, I never had that before).

mik15
May 8th, 2014, 17:39
i wasn't such a fan of Mobil1, still not a fan, but my perception has changed since i bought this second RS6 because according to the service history, only at the dealership who sold it back in 2004 until today, this particular RS6 has been kept from the very first 1000km service on Mobil1 0-40, even though we all know they should've used Castrol 5w40 505.01. Don't ask me why, but this is what the receipts tell, and the car is now at 142k miles.

Comparing to the first RS6 which was only serviced using Castrol 5w40, so the recommended one by the manufacturer, and it had 70k miles when i bought it, i noticed that the first one had a more pronounced tappet noise after being started a week or more after left parked. On some occasions one of the tappets would keep on knocking for a long while even after the engine was warmed up and at fully operating temperature.

I do not have these symptoms on this RS6 even though sits at 142k miles and has only seen Mobil1 0w40 until i got it, i am now using LM Top Tec 4100 5w40, however given the history i am considering switching to Mobil1 0w40.

I've tried the Mobil1 0w40 on the first RS6 but the car didn't like it, after less than 4k miles it became blackish, got really thin and engine seemed to be noisier.

DHall1
May 8th, 2014, 17:58
Many of the Mobil1 blends are not the best choice in any application. However, the 0/40 Mobil1 euro spec is a pretty good oil and I used it in my AMG for years. That said, I would never use it in the RS6 because of two reasons. Not the correct weight and BND is available to us. Oil lab reports dont lie.....take a look at some Mobil1 oil reports after use and look at the BND reports after use.

Dmb408
May 8th, 2014, 18:07
mk15, you hit the exact reason why i am a "fan" i have heard too many stories like this before from serious car guys. And i work with now a guy who used to cover a region for a certain company that produces said oil and he used to get all customer calls filtered to him and he told me that he would get weekly calls from random people calling in to compliment mobil1 for whatever reason. And he also said that a racing guy told him once that many of the race teams lie and might say they use a sponsors oil when they are really running Mobil1.

Dmb408
May 8th, 2014, 18:10
Oh and I am sure this is in some thread, how do I get BND, just call them and say I want the RS6 blend and Dhall sent me - haha.

DHall1
May 8th, 2014, 18:18
LOL

Actually it is 100% correct. Call the company and Brian will pick up the phone. Tell him Dave Hall sent you and be ready to listen to an engineer talk to you for 25 minutes.
That and looking at my Blackstone report and you will never use anything else. IMHO

Papadoc has 120k on his RS6 and uses the same stuff....almost exactly the same Blackstone report.

Blackstone said my 10,000 mile oil change report was "perfect"

440 821 9040 you will get Brian.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/17820-Oil-Analysis-Program

Oh and I am sure this is in some thread, how do I get BND, just call them and say I want the RS6 blend and Dhall sent me - haha.

DHall1
May 8th, 2014, 18:21
Das report in question.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s532/03RSTT/scan_zpsa8053714.jpg

Dmb408
May 8th, 2014, 18:23
what do they send us, 10 qts? ~9 to do the job and one for on hand?

DHall1
May 8th, 2014, 18:30
yeah, comes in 4L or 1 gallon sized container.

This is his personal blended RS6 oil. The stuff is outstanding and we are lucky to have such a rocket scientist making this stuff.

I keep 4 gallons on the shelf all the time. I also keep a gallon of Aces and 4 gallons of the trans fluid.

And the real kicker is.....the stuff costs no more than any other quality oil. The trans fluid is actually less then oem fluid.

mik15
May 8th, 2014, 19:14
Dave you're right, Mobil1 0w40 is not the right oil for the RS6, technically speaking as per the technical sheet, i posted a few years ago a reply i got from Quattro GMBH regarding the type of oil suitable for the RS6, at least their official opinion. However, i can't ignore my personal experience i had with the two RS6's, both being maintained by Audi dealership but as you saw one using the approved Quattro GMBH oil and the other being Mobil1 0w40. In this region M1 0w40 is very popular, my '06 750il has also reached 140k miles, again has only been serviced with M1 0w40, as most of the BMW, Audi and Mercedes in this area and as you know it is a rough climate here due to the excessive heat and dust.

here is again the answer i got from Quattro GMBH:

" Dear Mr. Turcu,

thank you very much for your message. Most oil companies have been phasing out engine oil according to VW specification 50501 because of the low demand. This oil was once meant to be used in heavy duty Diesel engines but due to its outstanding shear stability under high temperature we decided to use it for the RS 6 V8 twin turbo engine. The main reason for this move was the position of the turbo chargers which are pretty far located from the engine block and therefore from the oil supplying pump. After driving under extreme conditions, e.g. with high speed or under high load for a longer period of time and very high outside temperature, the oil pressure could drop to low levels when going back to idle.
Theoretically, engine oil to VW specification 50500 is not able to compensate the attributes of VW 50501 but the viscosity range of 0W-40 will stabilize oil pressure when the engine and turbo chargers are extremely hot. Hence, potential engine damage is not really an issue if VW 50500 is being used and there is no necessity to do drain this oil immediately.

The official substitute of VW specification 50501 is actually VW 50400, even it is mostly available in 5W-30, for example but without official endorsement MOBIL 1 ESP FORMULA 5W-30. We recommend to use VW 50400 when the next engine oil service is due (every 15000 km).

Kind Regards & Merry Christmas
Hanns Breiter
quattro GmbH
Kundendienst
quattro GmbH
N/VQ-52
Postfach 1144
74148 Neckarsulm
Telefon +49-7132-31-8547
BIK +49-7132-31-73050
Mobil +49-172-5929939
Fax +49-7132-31-88777
mailto:hanns.breiter@audi.de (hanns.breiter@audi.de) "

Dmb408
May 8th, 2014, 20:39
Just talked to him played out as expected. Pretty cool guy.

SteveKen
May 13th, 2014, 02:12
This is good information, I think.

I've been using teh M1 0W-40 in my smart car at 10k intervals, as per the mfg.

It's less than $5/qt and I was actually looking for somethign other than my stash of spendy Amsoil to break in the engine I'm getting ready to fire up.

I'll run this for a while and then put the Amsoil in I suppose.

Dmb408
May 13th, 2014, 02:53
I just put BND Quantum Blue in this weekend and used Aces IV for the first time. Holy butt dyno! The car felt great.

DHall1
May 13th, 2014, 05:54
Oh crap!

Another cheap shill...

LOL

I just put BND Quantum Blue in this weekend and used Aces IV for the first time. Holy butt dyno! The car felt great.

lswing
May 13th, 2014, 07:34
Oh crap!

Another cheap shill...

LOL

As much as I like their product, with good fuel and tune it's not that much of an effect. If it helps that much, try some better fuel and a tune that dumps more in, land rocket...now does anyone want to invest in my trans fund, I promise no return:)

lswing
May 13th, 2014, 07:36

Highly recommend a water methanol kit, or better fuel. What tune you on, or none?

Dmb408
May 13th, 2014, 11:13
Oct tune with some random custom stuff coded out.

DHall1
May 13th, 2014, 16:32
Its really amazing that you can subjectively notice a change.

I did on the first tank all those years ago.

Funny story...i just changed trans fluid to quantium blue on #3 last week. New zf trans with 20k but the pan gasket was leaking so I decided to switch fluids. It shifts better plain and simple. Brian told me what add pack and friction modifier he used but most important was temp protection add pack. I will be darned if the damn thing shifts better. Wth

Btw OCT tune is an excellent tune

Turbowned
May 14th, 2014, 01:30
Anyone have an opinion on Shell Rotella 5W40? I used it for my last oil change. The Subaru STi guys swear by the stuff. I use Shell gasoline strictly, too so I figured why not give their synthetic oil a shot, too?

DHall1
May 14th, 2014, 01:45
STI does not equal RS6

Rotella diesel blend has been cheapened over the years. Cummins now has a special Valvoline spec diesel oil and Rotella is not used in any Cummins dealer.

Do an oil test and post it up.

Anyone have an opinion on Shell Rotella 5W40? I used it for my last oil change. The Subaru STi guys swear by the stuff. I use Shell gasoline strictly, too so I figured why not give their synthetic oil a shot, too?

Dmb408
May 14th, 2014, 02:29
I'm a Shell gas devotee too.

Brav
May 14th, 2014, 18:13

I've used it in other turbo Audi's before, lot of the A4/S4 guys like it too. Still prefer the M1 0W40 Euro spec over it. For RS6, BND or Motul for my car.

humantic
May 15th, 2014, 02:03
I thought I would chime in on this thread. Since I acquired this car we have been using amsoil as recommended by others

When the car arrived from Germany Bobski had provided a liter of oil he said was the right stuff to use in this car, however we could not find an oil with the matching specs at our source.

Interesting enough was this tag in the engine compartment from Frankfurt Audi where Bobski had the car serviced which showed a different oil grade and brand

We may switch to the BND brand as suggested in this thread though...

DHall1
May 15th, 2014, 22:19
What does that Amsoil cost per L?

I would like to see a Blackstone report on the Amsoil.

audiprotn
May 16th, 2014, 00:34
I've been using Motul 8100 x-cess 5w40

Also tried BND before, might go back that route

G2
May 18th, 2014, 18:20
mik15:
Your experience with Castrol (noisy valvetrain) mimics what I also see on many cars. However M1 occasionally has the same result, but mostly in Mercedes from what I see. Castrol contracts with VAG and BWM. Both of which have oil related problems from what I personally see and work on.

Amsoil 5-40 has solved all these problems. If necessary will use Amsoil flush- works like magic to reduce/eliminate noisy lifters.

Bottom line on these older cars is that SN/SM rated oils may preserve emission system components past any Federal warranty period, it does no service to the engines. Using a SL/SJ oil has much higher additives which are helpful for protecting bearings on startup. Startup is where extra protection is mostly needed. There's always more to the story...

Re: Viscosity. In general the rated viscosity doesn't mean a whole lot. The oil may START at a given rating,but after use will change. Often becoming "thinned" out and falls out of SAE spec. Few companies publish specs, but Amsoil has some good info. I typically look at Kinematic specs that measure the actual viscosity at spec'd temps. I assure people that every brand of oil is a bit different-- some are a bit scary once heated up and used for awhile. Long as the Oil LIght isn't flashing that's good news...ahem. It just comes down to what is the most stable and durable oil.

For me i use the high additive version of Amsoil 5-40. Prior owner did dealer service, then Lubro Moly (okay up to 3500miles). After discussion with Amsoil tech will use 10-40 SS which has the full SAPS package (something on order of BND) for summer use. Have a few UOA samples I need to get reports on still....

Dmb408
August 17th, 2015, 16:24
OK, so did BND oil change this weekend on RS6 #2. So this is twice I have changed cars with OE castrol in them to BND and both times experienced that exact same first reaction... there is tons less upper valve train noise with BND. Car idles so much smoother.

mrdave
August 17th, 2015, 18:26
Funny you bring that up. I was just noticing over the weekend that my C5 S6 (which gets M1 or Castrol 0w40) has a lot more valvetrain noise, especially on startup, than my RS6 (which gets BND).

Turbowned
August 18th, 2015, 00:02
Hmmm, maybe I'll give BND a go the next time around. I get a little rattle at startup when it's really cold (running Rotella T6; have not had it analyzed yet, sorry) which I figured was timing chain related. What does it cost per quart?

G2
August 18th, 2015, 02:29
Funny you bring that up. I was just noticing over the weekend that my C5 S6 (which gets M1 or Castrol 0w40) has a lot more valvetrain noise, especially on startup, than my RS6 (which gets BND).

Does the S6 have the same front oil cooler the RS6 does? If memory serves me it doesn't. And if so, higher oil temps will cause more issues in the long run than not. Such as with the RS6 and it's external oil cooler.

Castrol is on my never-to-use-again list. While Exxon M1 is decent but tech-spec wise has been eclipsed by other brands in the last handful of years.

Good to hear about BND. I've noticed observations with that oil on 2 cars (RS6's) so far, including UOA reports. Before I blab my mouth too much, need to UOA my car with Amsoil. I hope the TBN/TAN is a bit better, but then again I won't run much past 5K miles.

G2
August 18th, 2015, 02:41
Hmmm, maybe I'll give BND a go the next time around. I get a little rattle at startup when it's really cold (running Rotella T6; have not had it analyzed yet, sorry) which I figured was timing chain related. What does it cost per quart?

Interested to see a UOA on the T6. Heard good things and some swear by it. I've yet to see any universal specs for it, like what Amsoil publishes. UOA is a good real world indicator, but engine condition and useage are large factors also.

Noticed the 'Cost' portion of your question. Thought I'd mention that you can get Amsoil 5-40 Euro for under $6 p/qt. Couple purchasing options thru www.oiloregon.com, including free shipping. Great stuff, use in all my euro cars, customer cars, including diesels.

On the grand scale it's a 2/3rd additive oil, compared to their Signature Series (even higher PPM levels of SAPS). I just got 10-40 SS for my RS6 for the summer. There's also a new 5-50 but is meant for the new Mustang. Great specs, but I need to find out the PPM counts as it's a low PPM/SAPS SN/SM rated oil. Not sure how Amsoil pulls that off.

mrdave
August 18th, 2015, 02:57
What does it cost per quart?

About $15 /qt I believe. Not sure on the exact price since I ordered some other stuff at the same time on my last order. Make sure to plan in some lead time as he sometimes has to order new materials to blend it up.

Does the S6 have the same front oil cooler the RS6 does? If memory serves me it doesn't. And if so, higher oil temps will cause more issues in the long run than not. Such as with the RS6 and it's external oil cooler.

Castrol is on my never-to-use-again list. While Exxon M1 is decent but tech-spec wise has been eclipsed by other brands in the last handful of years.

No it doesn't have the nice front cooler and accordingly, the oil temp gauge shows that the oil warms up WAY quicker in the S6 vs. the RS6. Also, I agree about Castrol which is what's in the S6 right now. I needed something last minute and it was the only thing available at the time. I have M1 waiting to go in on the next change.

DHall1
August 18th, 2015, 04:25
Broken record.....I have been begging everyone for 6 years.

:-)

OK, so did BND oil change this weekend on RS6 #2. So this is twice I have changed cars with OE castrol in them to BND and both times experienced that exact same first reaction... there is tons less upper valve train noise with BND. Car idles so much smoother.

DHall1
August 18th, 2015, 04:26
.dump the rotella

Please

fukinavit
August 18th, 2015, 08:04
just did an oil change today on my 205k RS6, I went with the Castrol OE 5w40 from the dealer. This car has only ever had Castrol as PO always had dealer do the service. ive never owned a car that still sounds pretty much mechanically perfect as this one, nothing but V8 sexiness, that's the reason I chose to stay with the same oil.
I still think intervals are the biggest thing, I see some guys go 10,000 miles, id never go that far, 6-8k for me at most (that's kilometers!)