PDA

View Full Version : Under Engine Tray - thinking of removing?

Mikefo
May 5th, 2014, 20:26
Any big drawbacks in removing the under-engine tray? I live in a hot environment and thinking of removing the tray. It will make oil changes much faster also. I believe the primary reason for the tray is for lower engine noise to meet some European (Swiss) requirements. Any good reason to keep in place?

Otherwise I am 5 months into ownership and absolutely love it.

DHall1
May 5th, 2014, 20:43
Cut the sportec vent in the lower cover

SteveKen
May 5th, 2014, 21:03
Noise, yes. The diesel cars actually have another tray that goes further back under the car.

Also, the stock cover has venturis strategically placed to help draw air through the radiator assembly, transmission and alternator.

I've never done any before & after comparisons to prove how detrimental removal becomes. Maybe it's negligible in normal situations?

Also, if you take yours off and want to put it on a Greyhound bus to Pittsburgh, I'm looking for one.....

tantheman
May 5th, 2014, 22:25
I believe one of the purposes of this cover is aerodynamics...no? Many super fast cars have the bottom of the cars covered all the way...

ttboost
May 6th, 2014, 15:22
I reinstalled the one on the car I sold. I forgot to put it back on and when the new owner came over this weekend , we put it back on. I don't think you will glean much from a cooling perspective, BUT you will get WAY more protection of the vitals. I recommend leaving it on, Audi designed it that way.

LIRS6
May 6th, 2014, 19:53
Alternator would otherwise be totally exposed, as it sits low/forward - just one thing that comes to mind ....

ben916
May 6th, 2014, 20:12
Alternator would otherwise be totally exposed, as it sits low/forward - just one thing that comes to mind ....

Also the Intercooler piping can rest on the tray, unless grinding on that is preferred versus the tray.

kismetcapitan
May 6th, 2014, 20:22
the Sportec mod might appear to be voodoo, but I think it works. I had to replace the tray over the winter and haven't done the mod to my new tray. the weather is getting hot and I just noticed that my car needs a lot more time after shutting it down to run the fan and cool off.

scottmandu
May 8th, 2014, 20:39
Any big drawbacks in removing the under-engine tray? I live in a hot environment and thinking of removing the tray. It will make oil changes much faster also. I believe the primary reason for the tray is for lower engine noise to meet some European (Swiss) requirements. Any good reason to keep in place?

Drawbacks are your alternator is more so exposed to water and road debris, also the front wheel well covers tend to rub the tires at higher speeds because the lower cover holds them in place, and everything is a little louder with it gone.

Bigglezworth
May 9th, 2014, 01:00
Drawbacks are your alternator is more so exposed to water and road debris, also the front wheel well covers tend to rub the tires at higher speeds because the lower cover holds them in place, and everything is a little louder with it gone.Also, the lower interbowls of the intercoolers and the charge lines are exposed. My goodness, it only takes a couple of minutes to take it off to perform an oil change...

ttboost
May 9th, 2014, 01:17
Yep, as I said 5 posts ago...WAY more important for protection...removing it for better cooling will go unnoticed...especially when some road debris rips your oil line off your oil cooler....

lswing
May 11th, 2014, 15:21

It's also to guide airflow to specific areas and keep debris out, leave it on....