PDA

View Full Version : The "Clunk in the Trunk" is givin me the funk...

humantic
May 4th, 2014, 19:02
After a year and a half of ownership I'm facing my first major issue, the dreaded DRC failure. One of the flexible lines blew out last week. I was hoping to get a little more time in before facing a major expensive repair but alas failure is inevitable. Bobski had the DRC repaired back when the vehicle had 40K plus miles on it, now it's just a fraction below 100K. I've been fortunate that I've had 45K trouble free miles since I've been enjoying driving this marvelous machine.

We had initially thought we could just purchased a new line and fix the system ourselves, however our research has indicated that the system is not user serviceable and that it is highly likely that damage to the shocks maybe a consequence of losing pressure. With that in mind we are now searching to find out what the best replacement would be as we want to keep the vehicle as stock as possible. Of course if folks are willing to offer up opinions in this thread for the umpteenth time we are all ears.

lswing
May 4th, 2014, 19:13
Koni Yellow Sport struts, cheap, good ride, nice height. I'm running mine on softest setting, stock springs, firm and predictable. Does get a bit looser under aggressive cornering, would like to set them firmer, but would be a bit harsh around town for me. One of the best mods I've made.

mik15
May 4th, 2014, 19:43
why don't you try to fix it? if it is only a blown line, replace it and then have Audi to re-pressurize the system.

Bigglezworth
May 4th, 2014, 21:39
After a year and a half of ownership I'm facing my first major issue, the dreaded DRC failure. One of the flexible lines blew out last week. I was hoping to get a little more time in before facing a major expensive repair but alas failure is inevitable. Bobski had the DRC repaired back when the vehicle had 40K plus miles on it, now it's just a fraction below 100K. I've been fortunate that I've had 45K trouble free miles since I've been enjoying driving this marvelous machine.

We had initially thought we could just purchased a new line and fix the system ourselves, however our research has indicated that the system is not user serviceable and that it is highly likely that damage to the shocks maybe a consequence of losing pressure. With that in mind we are now searching to find out what the best replacement would be as we want to keep the vehicle as stock as possible. Of course if folks are willing to offer up opinions in this thread for the umpteenth time we are all ears.If you haven't driven the hell out of the car since the strut depressurized, it will be fine to repressurize (confirmed this three times over the past few years). Which line failed. Usually the front rubber ones since they crack due to drying out and then the road salts and moisture gets in to the cracks, festers, and then rusts the woven braided line concealed within. Finally fails.

If you elect to retain the DRC (something I personally have liked after trying three other types of set-ups including different struts, & coil overs), I have a few lines here and there from a couple of systems depending on which one you need that are a host more affordable then sourcing the stupidly overpriced OEM only line from the stealership. In the past it has costs me 1.5hrs at shop rate plus $25 in fluid to recharge a bank.

humantic
May 4th, 2014, 21:54
Re-pressurizing is our first choice. I drove about 100 miles after the line went. It was a front line, quote from dealership was $350 for the line. We were going to call around tomorrow to find out what the cost of repressurization would cost and to check the experience level of the dealerships. Given the time frame Biggleworth and not wanting to put a used part on I'll pay for the OEM part. Unless of course your lines are not used, let me know. The opinions on some of the older threads were not definitive on how much damage was done with a loss of pressurization, however the guy who works on my cars seems to think that the shocks may not have gotten completely drained. If the costs to put it back together aren't too crazy I think it's worth a shot. I wonder if it wouldn't be smart and change the other front line while it's being done?

Bigglezworth
May 4th, 2014, 22:24
Whatever you choose. Here's a link to the gen II struts for dirt cheap if you find one is damaged.

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26556-4-DRC-struts-from-low-mileage-RS6-for-sale

humantic
May 5th, 2014, 00:31
Thanks for the heads up! I'll update on the results.

mik15
May 5th, 2014, 05:28
here is what i have just found on ecs site, i bought a set to have a spare, curious if they will sell it for this price or this might be only an error. However, i tend to believe the prices are right since the missing one is 286$, so these 3 must be left overs or something....anyway, for this money it did worth a try :)

DHall1
May 5th, 2014, 06:34
Given your need for lines

Just dump the drc

Money down the drain

H/R coilover set w street perf springs rides as well working drc. 1200

Add Hotchkis sways and your are done.

humantic
May 6th, 2014, 11:32
I'd just like to say Thank you to those that responded to this post. I've ordered the Koni shocks and am doing the swap as detailed by 4.2Crew. That approach made the most sense economically and for the way I drive my car. I'll post my impressions in his DIY: DRC swap thread.

4.2Crew
May 6th, 2014, 11:56
It's been almost 30k quiet maintenance-free miles since doing the conversion to Konis... Still a smooth compliantly firm ride. You'll be impressed with the ride, and maybe even more impressed with the way the car sits---slightly lower on all 4 corners and zero rake. ...AND, for $600 as a DIY'er!