PDA

View Full Version : No air from vents

Dynmicracr
May 3rd, 2014, 23:06
Problem came up today when my wife took the car out. The climate controls work but no air is blowing out of the vents. Has anyone seen this problem before?

lswing
May 3rd, 2014, 23:40
Yep, last time my wife took the car out she broke something too.

Just kidding....have not had that, fuse or fan I guess, seems like it would show on a scan? Good luck for a speedy repair and hope you didn't get yelled at too much about how something always breaks on the car.

4everRS
May 4th, 2014, 05:30
If the fan is still running, but no air, your flapper doors arent functioning correctly. I think there is something you can do with vag com to fix this. I, however, don't know how to do it.

Dynmicracr
May 4th, 2014, 18:46
Haha... my wife loves the car actually. I have a long commute so I don't drive it everyday to work. Garbage miles anyway. I often come home and she drove it that day. Some weeks it feels like she drives it more than I do. ;)

There is no air at all. I checked the 30A fuse for the blower and it's fine. I read a lot about people having flapper problems but in my case nothing is happening. I will actually press the directional buttons to see if I can hear it move.

Dynmicracr
May 4th, 2014, 19:05
Well, i'll be damned. Went out to listen to the vents and its all working again. Gremlins. Crisis averted for now. ;)

Thanks for chiming in. I appreciate it.

Dynmicracr
May 22nd, 2014, 18:46
Happened again.... found these threads. It could be the blower motor or the "blower motor resister" . It could in some cases also be a relay under the steering column for the solar roof option, but I don't have that.

Found some threads searching teh Google about people that have had the problem as well. I will start testing this weekend to identify which part it is.

http://m.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2755928

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/blower-motor-quit-working-184232/?styleid=2

audiprotn
May 22nd, 2014, 23:39
Happened again.... found these threads. It could be the blower motor or the "blower motor resister" . It could in some cases also be a relay under the steering column for the solar roof option, but I don't have that.

Found some threads searching teh Google about people that have had the problem as well. I will start testing this weekend to identify which part it is.

http://m.audiworld.com/showthread.php?t=2755928

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a6-9/blower-motor-quit-working-184232/?styleid=2

I had to deal with the same issue on my a4, never really figured what exactly was causing it, but im sure its something to do with the flapper.

Dynmicracr
May 22nd, 2014, 23:45
I had to deal with the same issue on my a4, never really figured what exactly was causing it, but im sure its something to do with the flapper.

The flapper actually seems to be working fine. I can hear it adjusting when I hit the arrow buttons. In this case there is just no air at all coming out of the vents.

Dynmicracr
May 29th, 2014, 17:59
For anyone else that this happens to this is exactly what I saw on mine.

http://m.audiworld.com/showpost.php?p=24326660&postcount=23

Its right behind the glove box. Odd looking part. Audi wants $500 for the part, my local auto parts retailer might have been able to get it for $130, but eBay had it for 30 bucks. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181384985639?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It should be here today. I will install and post results but I am 90% sure this should fix it. Hooking up my blower to 12v made it spin. Took a reading off the
plug going into this part and there was voltage.

June 25th, 2014, 21:47
Did that part do the trick? Just had my A/C spit the bit in the same manner. All HVAC/airconditioning controls work, but there is no fan at all.

Dynmicracr
June 25th, 2014, 22:14
Did that part do the trick? Just had my A/C spit the bit in the same manner. All HVAC/airconditioning controls work, but there is no fan at all.

Sure did. Problem solved for ~$30 and 10 mins of work.

June 25th, 2014, 22:45
Thanks! You mean something I can fix that doesn't start with "First, remove the engine"? P/N 4B0-820-521. Rock Auto wants $335. I think I'll get a used one or a knockoff from eBay.

Dynmicracr
June 25th, 2014, 23:17
Yeah, and even genuineaudiparts.com was over $400. I figured it was a good gamble at $25 and it paid off. :) Been good for a couple of weeks now. Granted my coolant temp sensor and cam position sensors have gone since then. Going to try Amazon for those this time since I can get prime shipping on them. I guess its sensor time.

BTW... when you pull the plug from the old sensor the wires will be fried from the heat during the short. I just taped them up really good making sure they do not contact each other. Its all directly behind the glove box.

June 26th, 2014, 23:12
Do you happen to have the warm weather package on yours? I pulled mine and the wires look to be in great shape. I read somewhere else about the solar sunroof switch/sensor affecting the blower motor. So easy to get to I think I'll clean the contacts, save the P/N and see how long it runs (it started working again today). In the meantime, it's time to oil this squeaky blower motor. Thanks for your help!

Dynmicracr
June 26th, 2014, 23:52
Do you happen to have the warm weather package on yours? I pulled mine and the wires look to be in great shape. I read somewhere else about the solar sunroof switch/sensor affecting the blower motor. So easy to get to I think I'll clean the contacts, save the P/N and see how long it runs (it started working again today). In the meantime, it's time to oil this squeaky blower motor. Thanks for your help!

I saw that myself but I don't have that package so I knew it did not apply to me. Just a standard sunroof. Hope it works for you!

CBeau
May 18th, 2015, 22:52
For anyone else that this happens to this is exactly what I saw on mine.

http://m.audiworld.com/showpost.php?p=24326660&postcount=23

Its right behind the glove box. Odd looking part. Audi wants $500 for the part, my local auto parts retailer might have been able to get it for $130, but eBay had it for 30 bucks. :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181384985639?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It should be here today. I will install and post results but I am 90% sure this should fix it. Hooking up my blower to 12v made it spin. Took a reading off the
plug going into this part and there was voltage.

Any update on longevity of eBay part? Your eBay link now shows part at $17.99 if Audi is really charging $400 for that part that is a disgrace and should be a crime. Go China.

I was cruising down rd. and had AC on fan pretty high and I had my ph. charger plugged into rear cigarette lighter and I unplugged my phone from the charger and at that very instant the fan stopped. Fuse fine. Timing could be coincidence IDK but it really did happen at that very instant. Getting ready to go look at this dealo on the blower motor.

I've had this car for maybe 20 months now just turned 90k and not one problem - valve covers weeping a little. I've only put like 2.5k miles on it myself. If it starts imploding bit by bit like I read on here all the time.... I don't want to talk about kicking her to the curb yet... but there will be an evaluation period before I make any further commitment lol. Old cars are one thing. Complicated cars are one thing. Old + complicated yet a totally different thing. Fingers crossed.

Dynmicracr
May 18th, 2015, 23:05
Any update on longevity of eBay part? Your eBay link now shows part at $17.99 if Audi is really charging $400 for that part that is a disgrace and should be a crime. Go China.

I was cruising down rd. and had AC on fan pretty high and I had my ph. charger plugged into rear cigarette lighter and I unplugged my phone from the charger and at that very instant the fan stopped. Fuse fine. Timing could be coincidence IDK but it really did happen at that very instant. Getting ready to go look at this dealo on the blower motor.

I've had this car for maybe 20 months now just turned 90k and not one problem - valve covers weeping a little. I've only put like 2.5k miles on it myself. If it starts imploding bit by bit like I read on here all the time.... I don't want to talk about kicking her to the curb yet... but there will be an evaluation period before I make any further commitment lol. Old cars are one thing. Complicated cars are one thing. Old + complicated yet a totally different thing. Fingers crossed.

I had it in the car for a while after I replaced it and no problems. I have since sold the car but to my knowledge it is still working fine. China has come through on these parts for me a lot in the past. Better than the dealer making me take one prison style.

CBeau
May 18th, 2015, 23:34
Thanks for helping me. Im looking at blower fan. Nothing that looks like that part is popping out at me. Can you tell me where it is? I just removed glove box fan still in place.

Dynmicracr
May 19th, 2015, 00:47
Thanks for helping me. Im looking at blower fan. Nothing that looks like that part is popping out at me. Can you tell me where it is? I just removed glove box fan still in place.

Its been a while but its up there in the passenger footwell once you remove the glovebox and panel. There is a single bolt holding it in and a plug/harness going into it. The side you are looking at is the plastic side seen here (http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/-vUAAOxy7nNTUBRh/$_12.JPG) . The metal prongs are what read the temp and are inside.

CBeau
May 19th, 2015, 01:02
Never mind.. found it. For some reason pics I saw had me looking for something much smaller and the way the wiring is it appears that the wires coming out of it go to the footwell light but they don't. And as you said wire and pin #3 fried. Interesting the part says Audi and Hella. Wouldn't expect to see Hella down in those parts.

$400 for that part seems like highway robbery....but to be able to make that part, ship it, and distribute it for a profit @ $17.99??!! I almost feel guilty buying it.... like there is some political prisoner or enslaved child who made it who will be haunting me in my subconscious.

AT $17.99 I might buy two of them lol. I have a lot of cars and many older and I have a history and mantra of "if it broke once it is more likely to break again than something that hasn't broken yet". IDK maybe thats flawed logic but I do it all the time with Porsche parts - although I usually know a whole lot more about them than I do about this RS6. But bet dollars to donuts, suppose I do keep this car indefinitely which is very possible I'm terrible at getting rid of cars I like and this one is pretty unique... as long as it doesn't become too much of a needy nagging b-tch, in another 10 years finding this part will be a whole different proposition.

EINHORN
May 19th, 2015, 01:29
thanks bought 2 per logic above