PDA

View Full Version : Shudder in 3rd, 3/4 throttle...

lswing
April 29th, 2014, 05:52
Ok, so I've replaced most everything (but not everything) over the last three years. No matter the time it seems, under good throttle I get shudder/shaking feeling in the car. I'm 200 miles into a new trans, went out for a little spin, and still never full throttle on this trans I feel the same damn shudder, not ideal. Now the car is dialed in and putting out some good power, but besides the trans, other ideas? Engine mounts all good.

Never feel it in 1,2,4,5.....3rd is a strong gear and it's the 1:1 ratio so most power and torque transferred through the driveline I suppose.

Center diff maybe? It shudders when I pull into/out of a driveway. Maybe the power causes that in a straight line?

MaxRS6
April 29th, 2014, 12:18
Bummer- I don't have a clue. I had to replace a drive shaft long ago that caused some shudder. Good luck on the hunt Lou and I hope you find it.

Other_Erik
April 29th, 2014, 12:33
Engine mounts all good.
Never feel it in 1,2,4,5.....3rd is a strong gear and it's the 1:1 ratio so most power and torque transferred through the driveline I suppose.
Maybe the power causes that in a straight line?

Edited above for brevity.

When you did your new trans in, did you replace trans mounts?
Do you get the shudders in reverse (in your driveway)?, or only pulling forward?
If you get them in reverse, I'd also check the rear diff mount and/or crossmember bushings.

Good luck!

O_E

MaxRS6
April 29th, 2014, 13:07
^The trans mounts are a good thought. Mine were toast and had to be replaced when the engine was out about a year ago. I could actually feel the hulk movement at times. When the tech showed them to me- they were certainly shot. After the replacement- the movement I was feeling was gone gone gone.

lswing
April 29th, 2014, 15:58
Thanks for the input, and it shudders into or out of driveway/parking spot, always has. Not the worst, but would be nice to have it smooth (well as smooth as a ripping twin-turbo V8 can be).