PDA

View Full Version : No Holes License Plate Install

][V][
April 4th, 2014, 17:26
Hi RS6 owners,

I have searched but couldn't find anything on installing License Plates on an RS6 without drilling into the bumper, can anyone help? I know it can be done for most Audi models.

Kind Regards,

][V][ark

Other_Erik
April 4th, 2014, 17:59
[V][;259368']Hi RS6 owners,

I have searched but couldn't find anything on installing License Plates on an RS6 without drilling into the bumper, can anyone help? I know it can be done for most Audi models.

Kind Regards,

][V][ark

I searched pretty extensively and finally gave up and started taking an improper display ticket every 2-3 months (whenever cops notice in parking lots, thankfully they can't ticket me in my driveway/garage). Zero demerit points and a $75 fine is worth it to not have extra holes drilled.

DHall1
April 4th, 2014, 18:42
3m double sticky tape

LIRS6
April 4th, 2014, 18:43
Too lazy to search for the post, but iirc someone used very strong magnets placed behind the bumper shell

ben916
April 4th, 2014, 19:58
Too lazy to search for the post, but iirc someone used very strong magnets placed behind the bumper shell

This is what others have done.

][V][
April 4th, 2014, 20:03
Both methods can be used together, thanks guys. Just ordered some magnets!

DHall1
April 4th, 2014, 20:08
3m double sticky tested to 160 on a remote hwy in Mexico

lswing
April 4th, 2014, 20:22
Wood screws.....wait, that's what the previous owner did to my car, not too bad really, assuming the plate stays on.

You guys with your tape and magnets, let's see how that holds at 180!

MaxRS6
April 4th, 2014, 20:23
3m double sticky tested to 160 on a remote hwy in Mexico

And that is on his bicycle...

][V][
April 4th, 2014, 20:36
Wood screws.....wait, that's what the previous owner did to my car, not too bad really, assuming the plate stays on.

You guys with your tape and magnets, let's see how that holds at 180!

Will let you know!

SteveKen
April 4th, 2014, 20:56

I'm thinking of doing this just in case I want to put a Euro one on the front.

I would not put a magnet behind the bumper, but instead attach the magnets to the plate.

Think of all the potential metal 'fuzz' that might accumulate on the front bumper if you decide to get behind a truck leaking metal scrap, etc.

Anyway, the metal plate would have to be glued or taped to the inside of the bumper cover.

I'm waiting to get my cover back from the painter, so I'll document it if I decide to do it.

][V][
April 4th, 2014, 21:09
I'm thinking of doing this just in case I want to put a Euro one on the front.

I would not put a magnet behind the bumper, but instead attach the magnets to the plate.

Think of all the potential metal 'fuzz' that might accumulate on the front bumper if you decide to get behind a truck leaking metal scrap, etc.

Anyway, the metal plate would have to be glued or taped to the inside of the bumper cover.

I'm waiting to get my cover back from the painter, so I'll document it if I decide to do it.

Yeah that is worth noting, another way is to have the magnets on both sides, behind the bumper and the other on the outside of the plate. This would secure the plate without having to glue a magnet on the inside of the bumper. Provided of course you get one small enough to not cover the important bits of the plate.

At least that way when you wash the car you take both off and then your not rubbing potentially metal shavings on your paint work if there is any there.

nistah
April 4th, 2014, 22:08
plate looks real nice when mounted in the center of the lower grill valence using an $8 plastic mounting bracket with 4 zip ties securing to the grill. Some folks on here raised a potential concern regarding the blockage of air flow to the intercoolers however when I ran the set up I never had an issue and my car dyno'd 426 WHP which aleviated any lingering concerns.

ben916
April 4th, 2014, 22:36
3m double sticky allegedly tested to 160 on a main hwy in New Mexico

With lil' sis in the trunk...I cannot tell a lie .... true story

lswing
April 5th, 2014, 01:51
You're welcome....

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23532-Front-License-Plate-Idea-DIY

April 5th, 2014, 02:18
Magnets on Thing One on the left. Tested to 150....

lswing
April 5th, 2014, 02:55
^^^You really got good at making cardboard cut outs!

Rule #46: All tests mandatory at 150...

Bigglezworth
April 5th, 2014, 03:52
Thankfully I live in a part of the world where they only issue rear plates. :)

lswing
April 5th, 2014, 04:07
Last I checked there were no cops up there anyhow...

Brav
April 5th, 2014, 18:20
Magnets on Thing One on the left. Tested to 150....

#Twinning!! jealous..

Dmb408
April 7th, 2014, 15:50
There is a flip up (spring loaded) plate holder that corvette guys use. I bought it for my RS4 when I was in IL (required front). And I mocked it up but never installed it. It only requires screws on the underside, so it would go twice into our bumper under lip and twice into our belly pan. It would work. That way you can have it there but not always up if you like. Just google corvette hide away plate holder or something like that and I'm sure you'll find it. Maybe stow n go or something like that.