PDA

View Full Version : Passenger side valve cover gasket accessibility question...

4.2Crew
March 31st, 2014, 21:05
Can the coolant pipe be flexed enough to slide the valve cover out by just removing the 2 bolts along the cylinder head? Or, is it necessary to also remove/loosen the 2 bolts on the back of each head?...

Corbett
March 31st, 2014, 21:16
Just unbolt the coolant pipe from the passenger head and pry it back carefully. I just did mine and had no issues

P1054
April 1st, 2014, 00:59
I just did mine as well, and the coolant pipe wasn't as big of an issue for me as the SAI valve thing on the back side of the valve cover. I was able to get it off, but it took some doing. I ended up removing all of the SAI system before I put it back on, so reassembly was a breeze, but it'd be tricky if the valve was still there.

Aronis
April 1st, 2014, 02:22
Mine was done also by experienced Audi mechanic. No problem.

Bigglezworth
April 1st, 2014, 05:37
Removal of front bolt only. No need to remomve anything off the rear of the heads. I found loosening the gas lines at the intake assisted with R&R.

4.2Crew
April 1st, 2014, 11:48
Perfect!... All good info. Sounds like simply some extra time and effort and it's doable.

This weekend, I plan to remove the subframe to replace the passenger side differential side cover o-ring, replace both valve cover gaskets, and refresh the tranny fluid and filter.