PDA

View Full Version : potholes....

Dmb408
March 6th, 2014, 22:47
Lost my lower center grill trim to the especially bad this year pothole gods. How much have you guys paid for this lately?

lswing
March 6th, 2014, 23:35
Step 1, remove engine....

Well, my car's been in the shop so no worries! It's a bit rough with rocks and gravel around here too. Good luck finding the trim, sure it's out there used.

Bigglezworth
March 7th, 2014, 00:04
Have lost at least 1 rim from three different sets of rims on the 2 rides here.... Also smacked one so hard that the front drivers tire pushed up in to the fender hard enough to crack the paint...

ttboost
March 7th, 2014, 01:07
Cracked 2 BBS wheels on my Benz. Fixed them and they're for sale...(wheels...not Benz)

Jimmy
March 7th, 2014, 12:12
Is the silver surround trim available separate new ? I need one too.

Dmb408
March 7th, 2014, 14:59
Jimmy, I think it has to be available separate. I am having my indy call audi and get me a quote (they get the wholesale price and then mark it back up for themselves which I don't mind because it ends at the same price, so I call them). I am also going to call a certified collision center also today and see if they'll order it for me. This place in Chicago used to order random parts for me on my RS4 but alas I am not in Chitown anymore.

Turbowned
March 7th, 2014, 16:32
Lost three tires, two wheels, and an outer tie rod end in February. Three different potholes. I am moving out of Massachusetts, seriously. The infrastructure in this state is embarrassing.

Avus-RS6
March 7th, 2014, 16:40
I bought my car with four bent wheels (slightly, not too bad) and just had them straightened and refinished. So nice having round rolling stock on my 'luxury' car! Roads here in Seattle aren't that bad but noticeably worse this winter. You definitely have to pay attention to avoid the pot holes. This is why I don't like plus size wheels, they're more prone to bending.

Dmb408
March 7th, 2014, 17:55
Agree with Avus' comments. That is why I want to get rid of my 19s this summer.

But back to the topic at hand. Collision center wouldn't sell me just the part. Audi quoted me over 400 bucks because the whole grill is sold together! How do we take stuff like this with this car, this might honestly be one of the final straws.

Jimmy
March 7th, 2014, 17:59
Thanks for the update on that Dmb408. Def. sux.

Dmb408
March 7th, 2014, 18:21
Oh and Shokan doesn't have the part and also wouldn't sell it separately anyway.

ttboost
March 7th, 2014, 18:26
I was missing mine from day one, when I bought my car...didn't find one until about a month before I sold my car...and I had to buy the whole lower grill...couldn't get just the trim ring. I got lucky and found a member here selling one...and jumped on it...

NSU RS6
March 7th, 2014, 18:38
I bought my car with four bent wheels (slightly, not too bad) and just had them straightened and refinished. So nice having round rolling stock on my 'luxury' car! Roads here in Seattle aren't that bad but noticeably worse this winter. You definitely have to pay attention to avoid the pot holes. This is why I don't like plus size wheels, they're more prone to bending.

We do have it good here in Seattle compared to the carpet bombed roads in the midwest. There, tires are not the only wear item.

When I put my 18" stockers mit snowtires on for the winter, it was kind of nice. My 19" peelers, love 'em with the Mich Supersports, but they are noticeably more noisy and bumpy - must be getting old. But not really. I like stiff riding cars when they are supposed to be stiff riding cars. The RS6 is not that car. It is meant to be like a jet that happens to be rolling on the ground.

Who knows. Maybe next week one of my other personalities will kick in, and I will be tearing out/gutting my exhaust, and shopping 20's.

Yeah. Wifey will like that.

Zmey
March 7th, 2014, 19:49
I know it's not separated, but it's a better price than $400 mentioned above http://m.ebay.com/itm/161068987201?nav=SEARCH

ben916
March 7th, 2014, 20:07
Maybe next week one of my other personalities will kick in, and I will be tearing out/gutting my exhaust, and shopping 20's.

cuckoo!!

Dmb408
March 10th, 2014, 13:04
Good find Zmey. I never think to search Ebay.

Turbowned
March 10th, 2014, 13:32
Did you check any of the part-out threads?

Dmb408
March 10th, 2014, 15:10
I just message everyone I could see with a thread. We'll see.