PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox is making me nervous – Advice please

ssassc1
February 21st, 2014, 05:13
Hi everyone

I live in Australia and I am lucky enough to own one of these fine cars. I must admit though it has had its “challenges” and but for some reason I do love this car. I can’t explain it and when it’s running right there is nothing like it.

Anyway. The transmission was overhauled around 25,000 miles ago and seems fine, however recently it is developing problems…..

Cruising in 4th gear and if I accelerate hard it will change down to 3rd but it is not smooth and there is a rather large “bang” and hesitation before it finds 3rd gear.

I’m thinking that’s not good? :p

No codes from the gearbox and it changes very well other than 4th --> 3rd

Million dollar question….. What to you guys think? Time for another gearbox? (I really hope not) Could it be one of the Valve Bodies?

I had the Sump pulled and the transmission fluid is clear with no metal / swarf in the oil.

Ideas please

Cheers, John

DHall1
February 21st, 2014, 05:36
Log the TC lockup during this phase

TC lockup may be sticking

Also there is a clutch pak change between 3-4 or 4 to 3

lswing
February 21st, 2014, 05:48
Try accelerating hard in third, jump to 4th?

Guessing it's slipping in 4th and looking for another gear...

Yep, log the TC and see what it's doing.

Working on my second cooked trans and never a code. Drive it easy but try a few tests.

Edit...heard it won't slip to 5th since that's overdrive.

johnnie27
February 21st, 2014, 08:39
Hi everyone

I live in Australia and I am lucky enough to own one of these fine cars. I must admit though it has had its “challenges” and but for some reason I do love this car. I can’t explain it and when it’s running right there is nothing like it.

Anyway. The transmission was overhauled around 25,000 miles ago and seems fine, however recently it is developing problems…..

Cruising in 4th gear and if I accelerate hard it will change down to 3rd but it is not smooth and there is a rather large “bang” and hesitation before it finds 3rd gear.

I’m thinking that’s not good? :p

No codes from the gearbox and it changes very well other than 4th --> 3rd

Million dollar question….. What to you guys think? Time for another gearbox? (I really hope not) Could it be one of the Valve Bodies?

I had the Sump pulled and the transmission fluid is clear with no metal / swarf in the oil.

Ideas please

Cheers, John

Hi Mate , john here is your car OZ delivered ? or UK car..i never heard of an OZ car going bang...as our tranny's have some diff parts.. you should call

<cite class="vurls">www.abautomatics.com.au/</cite>‎
Visit us for auto transmission servicing, exchange, and remanufacturing. ... A&B Automotive | Automatic Transmission Remanufacturing, Repairs and Exchange ...1 Google review · Write a review (https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?hl=en&gpsls=LOCAL&service=oz&ltmpl=eslr&shdf=CvkCCxIGbWFwaW1nGpMBLy93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8vb WFwcy92dC9kYXRhPVN0ZHFrUC1xX1R0QjZQaXQtWE5BazcxY0l YMnRSZzl2aDllbUhnUWJqdllZZEE0Vk1oR2xOX1owQXU4ZW5HU zhsVjZnTzdzZUlQN1BPa3hjZTgxejdnVHNfeEFiVWhQeGYtcDR kWXNiX1I4UzVhaXdJeHVTDAsSCGNvdmVyaW1nGpUBaHR0cHM6L y9saDMuZ29vZ2xldXNlcmNvbnRlbnQuY29tLy1UYXZDM2Fnd3N 1Zy9VUHoySWViNWUzSS9BQUFBQUFCNVAtMC82bU95dUpLSjh1O C9zMjIwLWstbm8vQSUyQiUyNTI2JTJCQiUyQkF1dG9tb3RpdmU lMkJSZW1hbmlmYWN0dXJpbmclMkJQdHklMkJMdGQMCxIHcmF3b mFtZRooQSAmIEIgQXV0b21vdGl2ZSBSZW1hbnVmYWN0dXJpbmc gUHR5IEx0ZAwSBmV4dHJhMiIUk-uZIZ9YRadWI9-KUe81gb4UsmMoATIUItdHlHdSKu8mX28JDDEaHiIMS7c&continue=https://plus.google.com/101533019207748869398/about?hl%3Den%26socfid%3Dweb:lu:result:writearevie w%26socpid%3D1%26review%3D1)
<tbody>

12 Cahill St, Dandenong South VIC 3175
<nobr>resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png(03) 9768 3755</nobr>

</tbody>

they are the only place that Audi themselves (and bmw and skoda and VW etc) would send there boxes too.

john

ps they have serviced my tranny twice and my X5 many times they are the best and only place i would ask advice from.

good luck , here a rebuild is over 12K !
Call
Send SMS
Add to Skype
You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

DHall1
February 21st, 2014, 15:56
After logging then a good service by the people Johnnie mentioned would be the way to go. Get the fluid changed asap

ssassc1
February 22nd, 2014, 06:43
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your responses.

I rescanned today to find the following two Transmission codes

1. 17125 – Torque Converter Clutch P0741

2. 18259 – Powertrain Data Bus P1851

I always knew I had the 17125 but the 18259 is a new code.

Could 18259 be the culprit?

I have no engine fault codes.

Johnnie

I purchase this car from Melbourne around 2 years ago and A&B Automotive in Dandenong did a full overhaul on the original gearbox around 30,0000 kms ago. That’s one of the resons why I brought it. Thinking A&B were the best in the business and peace of mind.

So if it turns out my gearbox is on its way out (after only 30,000km) I won’t be dropping 12K large to A&B for another gearbox.

Thinking I might get one sent over from the US?

lswing
February 22nd, 2014, 07:07
Well, if you're getting TC codes that will cause the demise of your trans. A rebuilt upgraded TC and trans is around $4k. What do you deal with for shipping and import fees? Sure one of us could get one shipped down.

Figure $2-4k to install so the total won't be cheap...

johnnie27
February 22nd, 2014, 08:13
Hi Guys

Thanks for all your responses.

I rescanned today to find the following two Transmission codes

1. 17125 – Torque Converter Clutch P0741

2. 18259 – Powertrain Data Bus P1851

I always knew I had the 17125 but the 18259 is a new code.

Could 18259 be the culprit?

I have no engine fault codes.

Johnnie

I purchase this car from Melbourne around 2 years ago and A&B Automotive in Dandenong did a full overhaul on the original gearbox around 30,0000 kms ago. That’s one of the resons why I brought it. Thinking A&B were the best in the business and peace of mind.

So if it turns out my gearbox is on its way out (after only 30,000km) I won’t be dropping 12K large to A&B for another gearbox.

Thinking I might get one sent over from the US?

wow , that sux.........A&B are the best here....i have nothing else to ad...(i would assume they would warranty a rebuild ...they did with my mates X5 that was 22K !

perhaps call them for a chat if you haven't already?? sorry mate

ssassc1
February 23rd, 2014, 11:54
Hey Johnnie - I didn't mean to sound a bit harsh mate - Just a bit frustrated at the moment. :vgrumpy:

lswing - How much to "buy" a TC and O/H Trans in the US?