PDA

View Full Version : Reality check.....drove Motor Trend's Car of the year.

February 20th, 2014, 02:24
So I had the chance to drive a new Cadillac CTS AWD....Motor Trend Car of the year for 2014. I was on my way home from work and they offered me 4 ski passes to Deer Valley for the opportunity. The car was really nice...impressive build quality....sticker just over 60k......then I started it up.....

OMG.....I'll put a new trans in the RS every 2 years to keep from driving that POS....steering wheel quality sucked.....this is the thing you have to touch in any car EVERY time you are in it........drivetrain was noisy and unresponsive......and for 60k+??

Just had to share....:rs6kiss:

MaxRS6
February 20th, 2014, 03:18
^What he said---

lswing
February 20th, 2014, 03:39
Thanks for the report. Amazing how poor some fancy new cars shift/handle. It seems they're just selling on marketing and fancy interiors and electronics.

Now....I did just get a 2010 Ram Laramie, really nice interior and leather seats (basically a Mercedes interior). Shifts pretty good too, and not too slow for a 400hp truck that weighs 6,250lbs. Serious power steering really looses touch with the road, but makes it easy to drive a big truck...

And...the 2010 C63 AMG I drove last year had a horrid interior, steering so so, good shifting. But still amazing what we have in a 2003 car.

There's an NSX in town, mint, 25,000 miles, $75,000 dollars, yep. Wonder if our cars will ever bounce back once the numbers get lower....

February 20th, 2014, 03:45
I'm guessing that Cadillac is shooting for the "I've made a dollar .....I don't know where I am....and I need to charge my cell phone" crowd. Electronics were way cool....car sucked.

DHall1
February 20th, 2014, 04:47
20k more and you have a brand new S6

I will put transmissions in both my RS6s every other year before I take the keys of any Caddy.

Hell, #1 is on the factory trans to this day.

So I had the chance to drive a new Cadillac CTS AWD....Motor Trend Car of the year for 2014. I was on my way home from work and they offered me 4 ski passes to Deer Valley for the opportunity. The car was really nice...impressive build quality....sticker just over 60k......then I started it up.....

OMG.....I'll put a new trans in the RS every 2 years to keep from driving that POS....steering wheel quality sucked.....this is the thing you have to touch in any car EVERY time you are in it........drivetrain was noisy and unresponsive......and for 60k+??

Just had to share....:rs6kiss:

fbatwork
February 20th, 2014, 04:59
Agreed on many of the cars out there. I have to have a truck for work so usually get a new one every 5 or so years... now I am also a performance enthusiast so my 2010 Dodge 1500 has a blower on it... it may have shifted fine before my "upgrades" but the 550 HP that it has killed the factory tranny and 2 upgraded transmissions before it got it dialed. It is certainly not a replacement for my car but it is quite entertaining showing GT Mustangs and SS Camaro's my tail lights... and although my RS6 is great in the snow the truck if far better (IMO)...

mdegracia
February 20th, 2014, 13:14
It truely is sad when $60k can't buy you a solid car.

Off-Topic - drove the RS6 this AM, cause I had an itch. Icy cold air helped get that itch to go away...:lovl:

na1mt
February 20th, 2014, 13:59
I have driven a CTS-V (Speedtrapped) and can tell you that with the exception of only having rwd, it outperformed our cars in every other aspect.

Dmb408
February 20th, 2014, 15:14
Yea, my brother has a CTS-V, it's an absolute monster compared to our car, but you can't get the power down (he does have a manual though making it more difficult).

But back to original poster, did you drive a VSport version? If so, I'd be surprised. Nevermind, just edited my post with this, you didn't because you said it was AWD, so 2.0T or V6?

Bigglezworth
February 20th, 2014, 16:05
There's an NSX in town, mint, 25,000 miles, $75,000 dollars, yep. Wonder if our cars will ever bounce back once the numbers get lower....That's a host of $$ for that car. What year?

Jimmy
February 20th, 2014, 17:56
Cadillac used to have little (lame) ducks on their emblem ... and for a good reason ...

Shame on GM from attempting to stray from the normal.

lswing
February 20th, 2014, 19:25
That's a host of $$ for that car. What year?

Garage queen....I should go look at it, just down the street...4k miles....

If the link above doesn't work, please copy this link into your browser.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=97405&endYear=2015&modelCode1=NSX&showcaseOwnerId=573742&startYear=1981&makeCode1=ACURA&searchRadius=200&mmt=[ACURA[NSX[]][]]&listingId=365689118 (http://click.messages.autotrader.com/?qs=02b7da38c893827b39b3b8b8560e2e21ed6ccc56cfea94 dc5136d9e962719efdf1917926b6236ba8)

na1mt
February 20th, 2014, 19:47
About $10k too high for that car

lswing
February 20th, 2014, 20:10
They got it on trade in a few weeks back...guessing they would take $65k, going to be tough to move, but we do get a good amount of college kids with big $$$ around here.

StormFront
February 20th, 2014, 22:47
I'm guessing the new 8 spd auto they developed for the new Z06 will trickle down to other models (in various torque ratings) soon. It's supposed to be the best trans GM has made yet... we'll see.

February 21st, 2014, 03:18
Yea, my brother has a CTS-V, it's an absolute monster compared to our car, but you can't get the power down (he does have a manual though making it more difficult).

But back to original poster, did you drive a VSport version? If so, I'd be surprised. Nevermind, just edited my post with this, you didn't because you said it was AWD, so 2.0T or V6?

It was the V-6....321 supposed hp......not impressed. I'm guessing more like 275. I'm sure the CTS-V is great, but for 1/10th the money, I could put 700hp in my Kenny Brown Crown Vic and have stupid fun on the road.

lswing
February 21st, 2014, 03:54

My brothers supercharged M5 is like that...650hp, traction is a bitch. I assume your car isn't modified? Caddy stock shouldn't be that much more....

Other_Erik
February 21st, 2014, 12:27
After solely driving the RS for a couple months, finally got back into the GTP. To think, it's cammed, IC'ed, injectors, mapped, tuned, basically as powerful as it can be without going turbo or swap, and it feels like a cross between a slow pig and a boat. And I used to love driving it. Perhaps it's time to pass that one on to the next owner :|

Remember what you're comparing any other car to - the height of german engineering, the executive luxury rocket, the true and soulful RennSport. I don't know how I could ever move on to anything else. Even tooling around in my brother's 2011 S5, interior felt plastic and cheap, the MMI screen felt gimmicky and distracting and out of place...

Speaking of cheap and plastic, I see you all talking about the CTS-V. If they would put out an AWD auto-slushbox version, it'd be "comparable" to the RS, but the interior needs a lot of work. Rode in one and couldn't listen to the engine over the squeak/scrape/rattle of plastic on plastic mounted to plastic. Not exactly my idea of the interior of a car that costs more than I make in a year!

na1mt
February 21st, 2014, 13:57
I love my RS6, but it cannot compare to the technology in a brand new CTS-V......interior, exterior or any other aspect for that matter. I drove around quite a bit as a driver and passenger and can say I never heard any rattles from loose or poorly fitting trim pieces. The only negative thing about the interior I can say is that the controls were very "busy". I get it that this is the RS6 forum, but c'mon.....be realistic.

Other_Erik
February 21st, 2014, 14:27
I love my RS6, but it cannot compare to the technology in a brand new CTS-V......interior, exterior or any other aspect for that matter. I drove around quite a bit as a driver and passenger and can say I never heard any rattles from loose or poorly fitting trim pieces. The only negative thing about the interior I can say is that the controls were very "busy". I get it that this is the RS6 forum, but c'mon.....be realistic.

Was it brand new or did it have time for the plastics to settle into each other? Admittedly, I may have just had the poor experience of a Monday-built CTS-V, but for a car that _STARTS_ at $65k, equipped properly at $73k, I expect a whole lot less plastic and a whole lot more CF/metal, less cloth more suede, etc... and no wRong Wheel Drive - AWD or bust!

DHall1
February 21st, 2014, 15:51
Uhhhh, I was spoiled so much that I had to have a second RS6 for a daily driver. Nothing else comes close to the feel and control. A properly sorted RS6....is true comfort and performance. Ask Pat what his next car purchase will be. hehe

I drove a CTSV wagon....love the engine and trans was ok not great and it cornered ok. But it felt like a cheap GM interior and shell. Wife hated it....she couldnt see out the windows and hated the interior. No friggin way I will every buy a GM again.

When the time comes it will be the S6 for me. Unless Audi bring the RS6 again.

After solely driving the RS for a couple months, finally got back into the GTP. To think, it's cammed, IC'ed, injectors, mapped, tuned, basically as powerful as it can be without going turbo or swap, and it feels like a cross between a slow pig and a boat. And I used to love driving it. Perhaps it's time to pass that one on to the next owner :|

Remember what you're comparing any other car to - the height of german engineering, the executive luxury rocket, the true and soulful RennSport. I don't know how I could ever move on to anything else. Even tooling around in my brother's 2011 S5, interior felt plastic and cheap, the MMI screen felt gimmicky and distracting and out of place...

Speaking of cheap and plastic, I see you all talking about the CTS-V. If they would put out an AWD auto-slushbox version, it'd be "comparable" to the RS, but the interior needs a lot of work. Rode in one and couldn't listen to the engine over the squeak/scrape/rattle of plastic on plastic mounted to plastic. Not exactly my idea of the interior of a car that costs more than I make in a year!

Dmb408
February 21st, 2014, 16:43
No my car is plenty modded (milltek dp's, cat back, OcT, etc.). I just feel like the caddy is more violent than ours, likely due to the RWD and the steering being softer, we always forget how heavy our steering is and the AWD power laydown makes it even more so.

My brothers supercharged M5 is like that...650hp, traction is a bitch. I assume your car isn't modified? Caddy stock shouldn't be that much more....

Back to this whole thread through, folks let's step back for a second, as some have tried to do but not fully done. OUR CAR WAS NEAR 90K NEW AND SOME PAID MORE. That was 11 years ago! So let's call inflation 2% for argument's sake, which means our car would be 109,710 today!!! You can't compare cars with nearly 50 grand delta price. That 50 grand gets you more space, carbon fiber bits, etc. And yes to the other people's comments about our car just being a simpler time for cars, couldn't agree more. I had a 2014 A4 shop car the other day. That electronic steering is horrid and it is so soft and the 2.0T just gets lost in that 8 spd (puke).

na1mt
February 21st, 2014, 19:09
Like I said, love my RS6....drove a new RS5....awesome, sure the new RS7 is even nicer. They are both nicer interior wise by far to the Caddilac, but ours?? I'm thinking not. But to each their own. I believe Ferrari adapted the suspension design from the ZR1 and CTS-V in the 458.