PDA

View Full Version : A very sad day for me...

bethridg
February 19th, 2014, 04:36
I regret this has to be my first post outside of the VIN compilation thread. I have owned 905593 for less than 3 months.

On my way home tonight, I struck two deer at 40 mph.

I've never owned an Audi before and this being a very special 10 yr old specimen, what is the likelihood it can be repaired to original? I suppose it's just a question of time/money like everything else.

The entire front clip is toast. Hood, both fenders and radiator support. Radiator is punctured somewhere. The inner fender near the passenger head lamp is crinkled. Passenger head lamp assembly was annihilated. Bumper cover is cracked in multiple places. More will come upon further inspection.

Any one care to take a guess on repair costs????

At this point, my plan is to have it towed to the local Audi dealer for a proper estimate. Any recommendations? I'm in the Kansas City MO metro area if that helps.

I'll be dealing with my insurance company tomorrow. Super bummed right now.

RAUDI
February 19th, 2014, 04:50
Very sorry to see that. It is good that nobody was hurt.

KBB in very good condition says the car is worth over 23,000.

http://www.kbb.com/audi/rs-6/2003-audi-rs-6/quattro-sedan-4d/?condition=very-good&vehicleid=1788&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=88000&pricetype=private-party&persistedcondition=very-good

I hope you get her fixed up. I don't know what your state's laws are for buying a car back from the insurance if they call it totaled. There a few donor cars out there right now you could start snatching parts from.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

lswing
February 19th, 2014, 05:09
Sucks...if they total it get another! 4everRS went through that...can be fixed with any luck.

lswing
February 19th, 2014, 05:11
Off the top I'd think ~10k parts, paint, labor.

Bigglezworth
February 19th, 2014, 06:25
Damn. That sucks and then some. Not significant enough damage to write off, so suspect insurance will support repair in quick order.

1 Headlight
1 Hood
1 Fender
1 Grille
1 Radiator
1 bumper skin

Assuming there is no damage internally to the intercooler (lower and would think it fared fine), and that the radiator support can possibly be retained/repaired, I'd peg a third party fix-up with new OEM parts tipping the scales at $10,000.00 like mentioned above. A backyard wrencher with access to used parts could likely repair for 35-40% that cost assusming they can track down the parts. Parts in hand, this is a solid 6-8 hour repair since you will need to drain, uncouple, refasten, and fill up all coolers mounted to the rad clip. Would be nice if you could get away from that, but with a leaking rad, it all needs to come off to free the rad anyway.

I would start an Internet search for Avus silver RS6's that are being parted out. They exist. No guarantee you will find a matching color, but I would think the hood and fender can be sourced from a salvage unit. Radiator and rad support can for certain be sourced as those aren't quick sellers. Bumper skin will likely need to be new unfortunately. There is another thread with a member looking for a new skin also and a couple of links to one that was for sale on the used market a while back. The headlight and grille can be purchased as new off auction sites or reseller sites at affordable prices. Best of success with the repair.

bethridg
February 19th, 2014, 06:42
Very sorry to see that. It is good that nobody was hurt.

KBB in very good condition says the car is worth over 23,000.

http://www.kbb.com/audi/rs-6/2003-audi-rs-6/quattro-sedan-4d/?condition=very-good&vehicleid=1788&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=88000&pricetype=private-party&persistedcondition=very-good

I hope you get her fixed up. I don't know what your state's laws are for buying a car back from the insurance if they call it totaled. There a few donor cars out there right now you could start snatching parts from.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Agree with nobody being hurt. Except the deer; neither survived.

I've kept an eye on Kbb values since I made the purchase. And I paid quiet a bit less than that $23k estimate. The car was in really good condition for it's age and 89k miles. Aside from a small blemish here and there it presented like new and ran very strong.

As for insurance buy back, I've only had second hand experience with friends buying their sportbikes back after minor accidents. But I'm not sure it will get to that.

Sucks...if they total it get another! 4everRS went through that...can be fixed with any luck.

I am absolutely in love with these cars. At the time, I was searching for a C6 S6 when I found the RS locally. After scouring this forum for info it was in my driveway 48 hours later.

However, I already have a long term project car taking up space in my garage. So if it comes down to it I think I'd be better off just signing the checks and letting someone else actually do the work.

bethridg
February 19th, 2014, 07:13
Damn. That sucks and then some. Not significant enough damage to write off, so suspect insurance will support repair in quick order.

1 Headlight
1 Hood
1 Fender
1 Grille
1 Radiator
1 bumper skin

Assuming there is no damage internally to the intercooler (lower and would think it fared fine), and that the radiator support can possibly be retained/repaired, I'd peg a third party fix-up with new OEM parts tipping the scales at $10,000.00 like mentioned above. A backyard wrencher with access to used parts could likely repair for 35-40% that cost assusming they can track down the parts. Parts in hand, this is a solid 6-8 hour repair since you will need to drain, uncouple, refasten, and fill up all coolers mounted to the rad clip. Would be nice if you could get away from that, but with a leaking rad, it all needs to come off to free the rad anyway.

I would start an Internet search for Avus silver RS6's that are being parted out. They exist. No guarantee you will find a matching color, but I would think the hood and fender can be sourced from a salvage unit. Radiator and rad support can for certain be sourced as those aren't quick sellers. Bumper skin will likely need to be new unfortunately. There is another thread with a member looking for a new skin also and a couple of links to one that was for sale on the used market a while back. The headlight and grille can be purchased as new off auction sites or reseller sites at affordable prices. Best of success with the repair.

Thanks for the detailed analysis. This is pretty much what I had in my head. I didn't upload a pic of the drivers side fender but it's buckled. So there is that too.

I guess my question is how much can be sourced from OEM for these cars with the understanding that they will be at a considerable premium over second hand? Parts in common with other Audi models should be fairly easy to acquire. But how about the items specific to the C5 RS6? I wouldn't think there is a warehouse over in Germany stocked with left over body panels and such. So they would have to be salvage no matter what, correct?

Trying to put together a realistic expectation.

nubcake
February 19th, 2014, 11:35
Fenders and hood are interchangeable with S6 and A6 4.2 AFAIK.
Unique parts will be: grille, radiator, bumper cover.

Bumper cover and rad alone will cost around 2 grand, rest is manageable - especially if getting used parts.

EDIT: Actually, bumper cover does not look that bad in your pics - if it can be repaired, you can save quite a few bucks. Same goes for the rad - if it's a minor puncture in the side tank from the condenser support bracket (happened to mine in a similar accident) - it probably can be repaired.

Don't be shocked by the quote from dealer - it will probably be waaaay upwards of 10k - I'd guess around 15 maybe.
It still can be done properly for less.

DHall1
February 19th, 2014, 14:23
15-18k
Rad support is $$$

Good luck and fight hard for new parts.

na1mt
February 19th, 2014, 16:30
Had the same accident with almost identical damage. I only needed to replace one fender though. My bill was just under $10k. So I'm going to guess yours to be close to $12k

Avus-RS6
February 19th, 2014, 18:02
15-18k
Rad support is $$$

Yep! But I'll choose $13K-15K, Bob. (Price is Right reference)

na1mt
February 19th, 2014, 19:24
And I just noticed your statement about taking to an Audi dealer for an estimate....that would be a big mistake. Do some research and find out what local body shops in your area are certified by AoA to perform repairs. The stealership is just going to have an estimator from that shop come give them a price, then mark it up 15-20% and give you your estimate. You are at an area where the difference of a couple thousand dollars could be the difference of the car being totaled or repaired.

bethridg
February 19th, 2014, 19:50
And I just noticed your statement about taking to an Audi dealer for an estimate....that would be a big mistake. Do some research and find out what local body shops in your area are certified by AoA to perform repairs. The stealership is just going to have an estimator from that shop come give them a price, then mark it up 15-20% and give you your estimate. You are at an area where the difference of a couple thousand dollars could be the difference of the car being totaled or repaired.

Very good point. A quick search shows that the dealer is the "Authorized Collision Repair Facility" for AoA in the area. I'll keep digging for an indy. Thanks.

Forgot to mention my insurance company has an in-house repair facility near me so I'll give them a good long look too.

JSRS6
February 19th, 2014, 20:01
Progressive?

bethridg
February 19th, 2014, 20:06
Progressive?

Yeah, experience with them?

ben916
February 19th, 2014, 20:15
Forgot to mention my insurance company has an in-house repair facility near me so I'll give them a good long look too.

I would be VERY careful with this as you can't have rookies work on these cars.

Also, check everything including all front suspension (is that a DRC clunk I hear?!?!)
I wouldn't be surprised if it gets totaled, you should be ready/prepared for that also...

P1054
February 20th, 2014, 00:25
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I'm currently in the process of replacing my front bumper and fender too, I had an encounter with a concrete barrier during the "snowstorm" we had here in SW WA. Fortunately it was a very minor encounter and didn't affect either the headlight nor the rad support. However, I can tell you that my repair estimate (from Progressive) was $4100. That included replacing the bumper support as well. Adding the hood, rad support, and headlight (which is around $550), I'd say the estimates above are spot-on. As for dealing with Progressive, I've run two comprehensive claims and one collision claim (this one) through them and they have been great to work with. No quibbling, no fighting, just getting the problem fixed. This time I decided to take the payout and do the work myself since I was already planning to do the timing belt-water pump service anyway. They checked out the car, gave me the estimate, and gave me a check all in about 1 hour. Can't really complain about service like that!

Good luck with your fix! I hope they get you up and running quickly!

Kgnast
February 20th, 2014, 01:57
I have bumper, fenders, etc..... we can go used all the way or OEM new.... up to you..... drop me a line. And no P1054.... I wont sell him your stuff..... :) I have others... LOL

hahnmgh63
February 20th, 2014, 02:31
Radiator lock support will add another $500+ to the price depending on markup ($490 from Genuine). For the Radiator $800~$900 I would go with a good used or new. You don't want a repair this part, probably new would be better as it is already over 10yrs old and definitely over half way through it's life, Core, end tank seals, etc... And you don't want to have to pull the radiator later to get it out of the support to replace at another date.

JSRS6
February 20th, 2014, 03:16
I had a fender bender in July when a 325 driver decided to coast through a stop sign in a town center shopping center. The whole situation stunk, the cop pressured my witness, the BMW driver convinced a 16 year old girl sitting on a bench facing away from the intersection to say she saw me run the stop sign that another cop saw me stop at. But enough about that. Progressive definitely stepped up to bat. Due to some screw ups with the first body shop sending my car to Orlando because they thought it had an aluminum frame(it doesn't) without even putting a magnet to it, they paid my rental for close to 80 days. That is unheard of in the insurance world. And they bought all my front trim in black optics, because I did the leg work and gave them estimates comparable to stock trim. They really went the extra mile. New belly pan and false firewall cover and gasket that were lost somewhere in between here, Orlando and back, we're replaced. Overall very happy with their customer service. Do not get an initial estimate at their service center. Their system will not accurately estimate your damage for our cars. Find a good Indy body shop and have them do the estimate for your adjuster. If your adjuster would like to talk with mine to get a better understanding of our cars, I can give you her number.
Yeah, experience with them?

JSRS6
February 20th, 2014, 03:17
And the 10k estimate is right on. I'm pretty sure we would have nearly identical estimates and mine was about that all said and done.

4everRS
February 20th, 2014, 03:24
*twitch* flashback *twitch*

I went through this a little over a year ago. Not fun. My biggest problem was the radiator support. There wasn't any available anywhere. Backorder from Audi with no eta. Found that Audi's vendor literally needed to mold some new ones.

I hit the deer harder. Insurance decided to total it. After over 3 months. Have the best body shop in your area fix it. Make sure they have a fantastic reputation. Expierence with German cars is needed. Also it would be good if they have a history with custom hot rod and restoration work.

Also, part of the way through it, bring them a case of beer. It's amazing how effective that can be

lswing
February 20th, 2014, 03:43
Also, part of the way through it, bring them a case of beer. It's amazing how effective that can be

And a case of Pepsi for the NA's....and a pizza....a bit of appreciation goes a long way!

DHall1
February 20th, 2014, 05:00
Someone bring me a pizza and case of beer please.

MaxRS6
February 20th, 2014, 11:31
Bummer- |(

Good luck with a resolution

V8weight
February 20th, 2014, 15:50
Yes, we work for pizza... This is pretty entertaining..

bethridg
February 20th, 2014, 18:09
Car just left on a flat bed. Now the fun begins...

Wanted to thank everyone for the advise and info. I'll post some updates when I know more.

Bigglezworth
February 22nd, 2014, 02:09
Damn, both of these have all the same broken parts....

http://www.shokan.com/viewcar.php?car=2003+Audi+RS6+Sedan+4.2+V8+-+Bi-Turbo&id=778

http://www.shokan.com/viewcar.php?car=2003+Audi+RS6+Sedan+4.2+V8+-+Bi-Turbo&id=697

You could contact Aaron who still has the engine listed on eBay from the car he was parting out. It was hit on the front, but from the photos I'm suspect both fenders escaped injury (check last two photos in auction listing). http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6-Engine-Motor-V8-Bi-Turbo-BCY-/221274518215?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3384fd32c7

Could also contact this member about buying this car for all the parts you need, then parting out the remainder. Believe all the parts you're looking for are here minus paint and plenty of remaining parts with homes already being looked for from other members if you parted things out. http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/26515-03-RS6-Part-Out

Finally, if you are seeing BIG $$$ and want a solution that will simply bolt up in place without needing any paint, you can certainly look to contact these guys and see about getting a package deal on the parts you require and paying the nominal $500-700 it would cost to have it shipped to you.....
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BREAKING-2003-AUDI-RS6-AVANT-C5-4-2-V8-BI-TURBO-AVUS-SILVER-V10-bolt-/190814038035?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c6d672813 They might only have doors left for this car, but they do have a rad support it appears in stock...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Panel-Slam-Radiator-Fans-Audi-RS6-Avant-C5-V8-Bi-Turbo-2004-/191040121731?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c7ae0eb83

bethridg
February 22nd, 2014, 02:40
WOW! Thank you for putting this together.

4everRS
February 22nd, 2014, 03:40
I know your being fecicious Pat. You work for beer.
Yes, we work for pizza... This is pretty entertaining..

DHall1
February 22nd, 2014, 04:07
Everyone

Please stop running into $ hit with your RS6s

Dang

4everRS
February 22nd, 2014, 04:13
Stop wrecking engines and transmissions.

Hehe

DHall1
February 22nd, 2014, 04:37
The kettle just blew the pot across the street.

I give all the engine credit to GIAC. Owned the car 3 days. I just made damn sure the service contract could not fix it.

I can take credit for 1 transmission.

Stop wrecking engines and transmissions.

Hehe

bethridg
February 28th, 2014, 02:22
Got the estimate in. It's a total loss. ~$15k in repairs. Will be talking to a rep tomorrow to determine my options. Including details below for the sake of documentation on 905593.

Haven't decided if I want to pursue keeping/repairing this car but found 5 others currently up for sale that I would consider for a replacement ( similar mileage / late production ). :addict:

NSU RS6
February 28th, 2014, 03:21
What a fricking bummer.

Shit, we all should all pitch in to buy it from insurance and store it if you decide to move on.

That said, I have thought sometimes that a minor hit that did not deeply damage the car - but totaled it - wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. I would buy it back, get it fixed by myself and some body guys I know, and put $7-8K in my pocket. Whether that $7-8K is worth being married or not is another story...(my wife is getting less and less approving of my greasemonkeying around. I need to be a more sophisticated, middle-aged man).

So their labor is $2233/44= $51/hr?????? Seems really cheap.

It does make my never mounted Daytona Gray Front License Plate Bracket worth:

[$378 + .4($50)].099 sales tax = $437.40

Better put that sucker in the safe!

What a ripoff.

Best of luck.

DHall1
February 28th, 2014, 03:52
Winner, winner chicken dinner!

15-18k
Rad support is $$$

DHall1
February 28th, 2014, 03:56
I am sorry to hear the news.

Why does 15 total the car?

Neg the buyback and work em down.

Many on the forum will buy the car from you. Including myself

Save it from the crusher

bethridg
February 28th, 2014, 05:02
15k totals the car because it's around their percentage of value to repair threshold.

I'm still contemplating a buyback. I'm confident it can be repaired to my satisfaction and at a fraction of the quoted price. Pretty sure it would have a salvage title though.

The only hang up is I'm not looking for another project and I'm out of garage space at the moment.

As mentioned above, my other project car right now is an '87 Tbird Turbo Coupe (my first car) that I swapped in a 351W back in 2004. Currently rebuilding/replacing the entire brake system on it when time allows. The other side of the garage is being used to store my dad's '77 Pontiac Can Am since he doesn't have space at his place. And one of my motorcycles, 2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory, splits it's time between the garage and walkout basement.

Hmmm, maybe I could swing a storage unit for the RS6 while I gather parts.....

Avus-RS6
February 28th, 2014, 06:13
I do believe I guessed $13-15K, and given that the Price is Right is the gold standard, I do declare myself the winner. ;-)

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

Unfortunately, bethridg and 905593 are the losers here. Best of luck with the endeavor. I say cash out and get yourself another RS6. Sell the hulk to someone here who will revive it, maybe someone looking to do a monster build/manual conversion.

DHall1
February 28th, 2014, 06:25
Call in the judges.

I will phone a friend.

$15,148.37

Das is between 15-18k

Not 13-15k

I do believe I guessed $13-15K, and given that the Price is Right is the gold standard, I do declare myself the winner. ;-)

Unfortunately, bethridg and 905593 are the losers here. Best of luck with the endeavor. I say cash out and get yourself another RS6. Sell the hulk to someone here who will revive it, maybe someone looking to do a monster build/manual conversion.

bethridg
February 28th, 2014, 13:45
Call in the judges.

I will phone a friend.

$15,148.37

Das is between 15-18k

Not 13-15k

Yep, closest without going over. Cheers!

Other_Erik
February 28th, 2014, 15:22
So their labor is $2233/44= $51/hr?????? Seems really cheap.

Reply with quote button not working for me...

$51/hr is the insurance-negotiated rate. Same shop same car individual bringing it in would rate ~$119/hr or so.

OP - Sorry to hear she's toast, buyback and flip here for profit, put towards the next RS6 + mods. :)

O_E

Avus-RS6
February 28th, 2014, 16:51
Yep, closest without going over. Cheers!

That, and no doubt if they were given the green light to fix it it would go up by AT LEAST 10%, probably more like 20%. I'm still amazed what it costs in retail to put these cars back to original.

Korben007
February 28th, 2014, 17:57
Curious what the buy back will be

Other_Erik
February 28th, 2014, 18:21
Curious what the buy back will be

Most likely black book value minus actual repair costs. Black book ~85% of KBB Trade-In, Actual repair cost being all non-OE parts... I'd guess buyback somewhere in the 10k range, out of a 20k total check

ben916
February 28th, 2014, 18:50
those "estimates" seem rather low but I am not in the shop doing the estimates...

also, Bethridg, can you update your location so others are aware of your loc?

DHall1
February 28th, 2014, 22:56
Doh! Price is Right rules are the default. I should have known

Avus-RS6
March 1st, 2014, 03:58
Most likely black book value minus actual repair costs. Black book ~85% of KBB Trade-In, Actual repair cost being all non-OE parts... I'd guess buyback somewhere in the 10k range, out of a 20k total check

$8k max buyback. Probably more like $5k.

DHall1
March 1st, 2014, 06:01
10k..........no I say 8001

$8k max buyback. Probably more like $5k.

bethridg
March 1st, 2014, 15:38
those "estimates" seem rather low but I am not in the shop doing the estimates...

also, Bethridg, can you update your location so others are aware of your loc?

Done.

I won't hear back from them until Tues.

4everRS
March 1st, 2014, 20:52
I want to get in on the buy back guess.

I'm going with 8125 - 8650

First offer they make him is the winner

DHall1
March 1st, 2014, 22:43
No

Price is right rules in blocks of 500.

I have 8001-8500

I want to get in on the buy back guess.

I'm going with 8125 - 8650

First offer they make him is the winner

4everRS
March 2nd, 2014, 04:30
Haha. You're funny Dave. Looked to me like your guess has a 2k range.

I'll just guess a specific dollar amount. 7,728.

No

Price is right rules in blocks of 500.

I have 8001-8500

DHall1
March 2nd, 2014, 06:20
Yeah, I got shafted on "price is right" rules the first go around.

So instead of every bid one dollar apart.....we get 500 blocks. Closest without going over.

How many times have you changed oil in the snowblower this year?

Haha. You're funny Dave. Looked to me like your guess has a 2k range.

I'll just guess a specific dollar amount. 7,728.

Avus-RS6
March 3rd, 2014, 17:35
$5,500-$6,000, my final answer!

bethridg
March 10th, 2014, 01:40
Quick update.

I have a disagreement with the adjuster regarding the settlement amount. It's not sounding like they will work with me. I don't want to disclose too many details yet but the buy back option I was given is quiet a bit below everyone's guess so far.

So, I've spent most of the day putting together a spreadsheet of part #'s and pricing items that will absolutely need to be replaced based on the repair estimate. I think I can put it back on the road for <$6k + buy back. A salvage title sucks but I never planned on selling/trading the car anyway.

I'm expecting another call from them tomorrow.

nistah
March 10th, 2014, 01:57
Quick update.

I have a disagreement with the adjuster regarding the settlement amount. It's not sounding like they will work with me. I don't want to disclose too many details yet but the buy back option I was given is quiet a bit below everyone's guess so far.

So, I've spent most of the day putting together a spreadsheet of part #'s and pricing items that will absolutely need to be replaced based on the repair estimate. I think I can put it back on the road for <$6k + buy back. A salvage title sucks but I never planned on selling/trading the car anyway.

I'm expecting another call from them tomorrow.

Not surprised that you have a disagreement with the adjuster, they are not looking after your best interests and will try to pay as little as possible if you let them.

Never accept a lowball offer, in fact I would suggest you look into getting an professional independent third party appraisal to contrast against the lowball BS the adjuster is trying to put over on you. Check here: http://www.autoloss.com/Services/Online-Auto-Appraisals/Total-Loss-Appraisals-Fair-Market-Value-Appraisals.html#.Ux0beKVZjwI I'm not affiliated with this company just have had some previous experience with a diminished value recovery from my own insurer when some nitwit rear ended my Jaguar a few years back. Good luck!

Avus-RS6
March 10th, 2014, 04:59
I agree with nistah, absolutely line up an independent appraisal. Get a couple referrals for one from a respected high end body shop in your area. Even the threat of hiring an Indy appraisal should improve their offer but likely won't get you to where you want to be. No reason to end up worse off than you started, less your deductible of course. If you can't buy what is essentially your car with the total out settlement you're getting shafted. Keep on fighting, it sounds like the only way to get an acceptable outcome.

Good luck!

NSU RS6
March 10th, 2014, 17:10
A salvage title sucks but I never planned on selling/trading the car anyway.

A salvage title sucks only if you don't know why it was salvaged. The damage to your car is only skin deep.

If you take good pictures of the before/during/after of the repair, and it is done by a reputable shop - and done well - I don't think that resale value will take too much of a hit. Not that you were considering resale anyway.

For you this is a great opportunity. Bring everything up to snuff while it is apart, chip it (because now you can WITH CONFIDENCE), and enjoy a sleeper of a car that hangs with the best of them.

And if its wet - its over.

Good luck!

Amulet-S6
March 11th, 2014, 00:56
Sorry for your interaction with the deer. Even more glad you're safe. I had the same adventure 2 years ago only caught strength on and thus took out both headlights.
I avoided the deer herd, but my evasive maneuvers sent me into a brush pile at the end of a farmer's field with limbs that skewered my front end.
New headlights, radiator, intercoolers, grills, and fresh respray.

Keep us posted on outcome, Jim

bethridg
March 13th, 2014, 02:32
Finally settled with insurance and bought my car back.

The buy-back option was $3900 so it seemed like a no brainer. I'll probably start a new thread to document the repairs with lots of questions because the body shop was gracious enough to leave me with a trunk full of parts and a handful of unlabeled plastic bags filled with hardware.

Today was a good day!

4everRS
March 13th, 2014, 04:25
Holy crap. That's cheap

mik15
March 13th, 2014, 10:37
so that means you got the car back for $3900 plus the money they gave you for totaling the car? if so, that's a good deal!

ttboost
March 13th, 2014, 11:51
Yeah, sounds like a good deal to me too. How much did you get? Can you fix everything and then some?

bethridg
March 13th, 2014, 14:55
so that means you got the car back for $3900 plus the money they gave you for totaling the car? if so, that's a good deal!

Correct. They are sending me a check for the settlement amount minus the salvage value.

Yeah, sounds like a good deal to me too. How much did you get? Can you fix everything and then some?

The check will cover the balance remaining on the loan (owned it 3.5 months). With my wheelbarrow full of cash for repairs and the buy-back I estimate my total investment in the car will be around $10-12k.

It will actually be a bit more because I plan on completing the 75k maintenance since I wasn't able to confirm it had been done at the time of purchase. In addition to any other mods/upgrades I deem necessary while it's apart.

The final agreed ACV was $19250. But that was after sending them a spreadsheet comparing ALL RS6's currently for sale on autotrader/cars.com and KBB/Napa valuations. They agreed to do a "dealer value estimate" because I pushed for it to be considered a specialty vehicle which averaged into the above agreed ACV.

I would have accepted their initial offer but it included a "Projected Sold Adjustment" that was defined as follows:

Projected Sold Adjustment - an adjustment to reflect consumer purchasing behavior (negotiating a different price than the listed price).

I called BS on that and refused to value my car based on someone else's potential negotiation skills.

Anyway, all is done and I'm happy with the outcome.

DHall1
March 13th, 2014, 16:51
I think this is friggin awesome that you saved this car from the scrap heap.

And you only just purchased it.

You will get a ton of help here.

Correct. They are sending me a check for the settlement amount minus the salvage value.

The check will cover the balance remaining on the loan (owned it 3.5 months). With my wheelbarrow full of cash for repairs and the buy-back I estimate my total investment in the car will be around $10-12k.

It will actually be a bit more because I plan on completing the 75k maintenance since I wasn't able to confirm it had been done at the time of purchase. In addition to any other mods/upgrades I deem necessary while it's apart.

The final agreed ACV was $19250. But that was after sending them a spreadsheet comparing ALL RS6's currently for sale on autotrader/cars.com and KBB/Napa valuations. They agreed to do a "dealer value estimate" because I pushed for it to be considered a specialty vehicle which averaged into the above agreed ACV.

I would have accepted their initial offer but it included a "Projected Sold Adjustment" that was defined as follows:

I called BS on that and refused to value my car based on someone else's potential negotiation skills.

Anyway, all is done and I'm happy with the outcome.

MaxRS6
March 13th, 2014, 19:26
^+1- Awesome results! Good luck and speed with the repairs.