PDA

View Full Version : Widest Rims fitted to the back of a C5 RS6?

milka
February 17th, 2014, 11:16
Hey all,

I'm looking for as much grip as possible so looking at fitting a set of R8 rims onto the RS6, what is the widest anyone has run on the rear of the rs6? also what offset and tyres are you running?

Going to try and fit 295/30/19s on the rear with 255/35/19s up front.

Thanks

Corbett
February 17th, 2014, 16:47
Nils,

whats ta up buddy. I've got a set of staggered adv1s on my car for non racing days. They are 19x9 front et 25 and 19x10 rear et38.

i feel like there is more room to go 19x10.5 et 19 all the way around.

milka
February 17th, 2014, 22:17
Hey Tim,

So you are running 19x10 with et 38 with no spacers at all on the rear. What size tire? 275/30/19

If you get a chance, would be great to know how much clearance you have inside and fender with your setup.

Thanks!

johnnie27
February 18th, 2014, 21:44
Hey Tim,

So you are running 19x10 with et 38 with no spacers at all on the rear. What size tire? 275/30/19

If you get a chance, would be great to know how much clearance you have inside and fender with your setup.

Thanks!

wow did you boys Tubb your RS , cause mine is running 19x9.5 et 30 255/35/19 rosso's and KW V3 lowered and on the track guess what they rub! (in extreme bumbs and cornering (just but enough to have rubbed thru the guard liner..and she ain't crazy low.......

Beardown1
February 19th, 2014, 01:02
I thought you were not supposed to use a staggered setup because of AWD.

Bigglezworth
February 19th, 2014, 01:06
I thought you were not supposed to use a staggered setup because of AWD.width and rim diameter doesn't matter. Overall tire diameter matters. As a reference, the R8 has different widths front to rear and as such different profile tires are required to ensure the same diameter for the AWD system to work properly.

Beardown1
February 19th, 2014, 01:14
Gotcha......

Corse998r
February 19th, 2014, 01:55
Post pics please!!

milka
February 19th, 2014, 02:22
wow did you boys Tubb your RS , cause mine is running 19x9.5 et 30 255/35/19 rosso's and KW V3 lowered and on the track guess what they rub! (in extreme bumbs and cornering (just but enough to have rubbed thru the guard liner..and she ain't crazy low.......

Johnnie, I have read that you posted this multiple times in threads and from what I can tell you are a lot lower than I would go. I'm currently running 265/35/19 with no rubbing and there is still room (at my ride height anyway) I'm also on KW v3s. I know people out there are also running 275/30/19s on 19 x 10 and 9.5s with no rubbing, of course they are not slammed but I won't be either.

milka
February 19th, 2014, 02:26
Reason I'm looking at doing a staggered set is that I'm running B7 RS4 manual gearbox with it's 4:1 torque bias ability as well as LSDs front and rear.

Other_Erik
February 19th, 2014, 12:14
Looking at a set of used R8 wheels on ebay right now... $1300 no bidders yet. 19x11 et42 rears, would need to run 35mm of spacer with a 57.1-66.56mm adapter ring. Buuuuut I'd be able to throw 295/30/19's on those 11-wide rears and have meat out back to back up the ridiculous torque of the 4.2TT

Only issue is, they'll stick out from the fender about an inch and a quarter, and I'm not looking for the chulo lowered/widetrack look. I think the RS6 can handle the overall look without being ghetto, but it's kinda an iffy point for me at the moment.

Thoughts, anyone?

Turbowned
February 19th, 2014, 13:58
So we can run staggered setups so long as overall diameter is the same? I knew the newer Audis could but I wasn't sure how it applied to us. Difference in wheel/tire weight from front to rear isn't going to hamper the ability of the quattro system? Can't imagine why anyone would want to run wider tires in the rear in our already push-prone cars, but... it does look cool!

Corse998r
February 19th, 2014, 14:03
DO IT!!! I want to see it and will probably do the same if it looks right. I can't wait to hear more about the trans swap. Has anyone else put a RS4 manual trans into a RS6 C5?? That is intriguing. What would that cost to do?? Tell me about the suspension mods. I want to have a fat, low and wide look on my RS6. I would even mind a cambered tucked look in the back if the wheels and suspension were just right. I'm having a hard time finding photos of what I want but this one is close.

Other_Erik
February 19th, 2014, 16:43
So we can run staggered setups so long as overall diameter is the same? I knew the newer Audis could but I wasn't sure how it applied to us. Difference in wheel/tire weight from front to rear isn't going to hamper the ability of the quattro system? Can't imagine why anyone would want to run wider tires in the rear in our already push-prone cars, but... it does look cool!

Correct. Proper diameter tires (matching across the axle at a bare minimum), running staggered rim size is no problem. The difference in weight will not affect the Quattro system, as it does an uneven power split (X percentage (70% or more IIRC?) rear, Y percentage (up to 30% IIRC) to the front), and the system only cares about traction across the axle - one wheel slips, it locks that wheel and sends power to the other wheel. As for the why run wider tires - 2 things, Dry Traction and the look. There's something innately meaner looking the wider your rear tires get on RWD/AWD platform, and when you can push (70% minus driveline loss) 270hp stock to the rear wheels, more with mods, you want as much rubber on the road as possible to keep you pushing forward rather than sitting still and spinning.

Will update this and my thread with pics/experience notes when I pick up the R8 rims and tires and spacers and centering rings. Gonna be a while, turns out I owe the IRS a couple thousand dollars that I just don't have at the moment...

O_E

milka
February 19th, 2014, 22:16
Looking at a set of used R8 wheels on ebay right now... $1300 no bidders yet. 19x11 et42 rears, would need to run 35mm of spacer with a 57.1-66.56mm adapter ring. Buuuuut I'd be able to throw 295/30/19's on those 11-wide rears and have meat out back to back up the ridiculous torque of the 4.2TT

Only issue is, they'll stick out from the fender about an inch and a quarter, and I'm not looking for the chulo lowered/widetrack look. I think the RS6 can handle the overall look without being ghetto, but it's kinda an iffy point for me at the moment.

Thoughts, anyone?

I Think you will find that the fronts are 8.5' et42 and the rears are 11 et50, that's for the earlier model R8 rims anyway.

milka
February 19th, 2014, 22:23
DO IT!!! I want to see it and will probably do the same if it looks right. I can't wait to hear more about the trans swap. Has anyone else put a RS4 manual trans into a RS6 C5?? That is intriguing. What would that cost to do?? Tell me about the suspension mods. I want to have a fat, low and wide look on my RS6. I would even mind a cambered tucked look in the back if the wheels and suspension were just right. I'm having a hard time finding photos of what I want but this one is close.

B7 RS4 gearbox is great so far have run it just over a year, can get it tail happy very easily! I am running twin GTX3071 turbos with twin Tial externals, and killed an FX850 clutch without any launches, just WOT logging runs. Now putting in a Tilton Carbon/Carbon triple. the fit is more complex as there are no Genuine Audi parts for the conversion, mainly Custom Gearbox mount brackets, Modified Tailshaft length and custom front half shafts. She has 447@wkw on a DynoDynamics dyno with the rear wheels spinning on the rollers. Hence why I'm after some bigger rubber out back.

Here is a link to my build thread, it's on a different forum but if you want to see any specific pics let me know and I can repost individual ones here. http://www.ozaudi.com/forums/a6-s6-rs6-allroad/20790-milkas-rs6-build-thread-6.html

johnnie27
February 19th, 2014, 22:52
Johnnie, I have read that you posted this multiple times in threads and from what I can tell you are a lot lower than I would go. I'm currently running 265/35/19 with no rubbing and there is still room (at my ride height anyway) I'm also on KW v3s. I know people out there are also running 275/30/19s on 19 x 10 and 9.5s with no rubbing, of course they are not slammed but I won't be either.

i hear ya but i am not that low>/?? just saying

repda503
February 19th, 2014, 23:17
Question: I'm thinking about running 19x9.5 front, 19x10 rear but with the same 275/30/19 PSS tires. I realize there will be more stretch on the back and thus smaller rolling diameter. But is it within the 4% range and will it cause problems? Should I just throw 285's on the rears?

Other_Erik
February 20th, 2014, 02:44
Repda the issue isn't with the width of the wheel so much as the overall diameter of the tire. The difference in diameter from running a half-inch wider wheel will be negligible. Proper speedo calibration on a 19" rim is 255/35 or 295/30. If you run 275/30 you'll throw the revs per mile off by ~2‰, about the difference from new tired to bald tires. Mismatching your revs/mile front to rear may or may not cause issues in the RS6, in not familiar enough to comment, but I know throwing them on my old weekend dragmobile screwed up the ABS system until I found the ABS reset procedure...

Milka - the rims I'm looking at came off a 2014 new gen :)

milka
February 20th, 2014, 03:16
Oh ok I have the original R8 rims

Other_Erik
February 20th, 2014, 12:54
Someone bought those R8 rims off the ebay ad, hope they like them. Looks like I'll need to wait for another new takeoff set to come up... :|

repda503
February 27th, 2014, 05:12
Repda the issue isn't with the width of the wheel so much as the overall diameter of the tire. The difference in diameter from running a half-inch wider wheel will be negligible. Proper speedo calibration on a 19" rim is 255/35 or 295/30. If you run 275/30 you'll throw the revs per mile off by ~2‰, about the difference from new tired to bald tires. Mismatching your revs/mile front to rear may or may not cause issues in the RS6, in not familiar enough to comment, but I know throwing them on my old weekend dragmobile screwed up the ABS system until I found the ABS reset procedure...

Milka - the rims I'm looking at came off a 2014 new gen :)

Anyone else have input on this topic? I plan to run 19x9.5/19x10 front to rear. However I plan on running square tire setup of 275/30/19 PSS's. I realize overall rolling diameter is slightly different on AWD car but is it negligible or should I buy seperate tires for the rears? If so, what size?

nubcake
February 27th, 2014, 08:49
It is negligible, especially with just a .5" difference in rim width.
You get much more difference by over/underinflating tires and that happens all the time without any consequences.
So, you should be good.

Other_Erik
February 27th, 2014, 13:52
It is negligible, especially with just a .5" difference in rim width.
You get much more difference by over/underinflating tires and that happens all the time without any consequences.
So, you should be good.

Seconded, 9.5" fronts with 275/30-19's are a bit small (~2%), and I don't know that you're going to outweigh the negatives of running a wider setup on the fronts. When you turn in, you're either going to rub your struts (possibly the fender liner instead), or if you've got spacers to keep that from happening, your fender. I've been doing my research, from what I can find, optimal front setup is 255/35/19 on 8.5" wide wheels (closest to flat sidewalls possible)

For the rears, 19" wheels, 295/30-19 on a 10.5" wheel is probably the best combo, but you're gonna be showing some meat outside the fender flare - personally, I think it's a good look on these cars, but YMMV.

All that said, I've given up on 20's - from what I hear, with KWV3's, you lose too much ride quality.

Looking forward to having the following setup:

255/35-19 Michelin PSS on 19x8.5 ET25 Fronts (plus 57.1-66.56 hubcentric adapters, no spacer needed)
295/30-19 Michelin PSS on 19x10.5 ET25 Rears (plus 57.1-66.56 hubcentric adapters and 25mm spacers)

ttboost
March 1st, 2014, 12:54
I ran 19x9 ET29 all around. Fit perfect. Ran 275/30-19's all around. BARELY rubbed on the inside. 20x10 fit on the back, but stuck out They are ET25. My guess is ET 28-30 would fit? These are the 20's, that are for sale

repda503
March 2nd, 2014, 07:29
Last summer I was running 19x9.5 ET25 all around with 275/30/19 PSS's. Front fenders were rubbing on bumps and needed rolled. I also denubbed the upright. Rears fit fine.

milka
March 2nd, 2014, 09:44
Thanks guys really appreciate the input