PDA

View Full Version : Trans questions abound

Other_Erik
February 14th, 2014, 14:36
Before you tell me to do a search on the forum, 14 pages of results and nobody seems to have _exactly_ the same problem I do...

The specifics:
From a cold start, I let the car warm up enough that the water temp gauge is not bottomed out.
Short drive through a parking lot, all 1st/2nd gear - no issues whatsoever
As soon as I get out of the parking lot, accelerate up to 27-30mph, BANG hard shift from 2-3 at ~2400-2700rpm
Hit the brakes for a stop sign and have an early downshift into 1st from 3rd (3500+rpm, sounds like I'm gunning it, kinda embarassing)
Accelerate from stop sign, 1-2 no problem at 22ish mph, 2-3 harsh but not BANG again 28ish mph, 3-4 shift around 40mph feels VERY slow like it's searching for the gear.
After that, 50mph cruise for a minute or so and usually hitting red lights, never see the harsh shifts again, but the slow 3-4 shift at 40mph persists.

This happens every day on my way home from work, and I'm worried that I'm causing undue pain to my trans/TC. Am I the one in the wrong in how I'm driving it, or do I have something lurking in the trans that should make my wallet have a permanent anticipatory cringe?

Want to keep the :addict: around at least long enough to take it to Hawaii with me (whenever the job offer comes through), won't be an option if the TC/trans go out and I'm left without reliable transportation.

Advice, comments, call me an idiot? Fix my problem and I'll post up a photo of the beast at Audi of America HQ (less than a half mile from where I work) :thumb:

DHall1
February 14th, 2014, 15:51
Try tip shifts

Check fluid level

How old is fluid

lswing
February 14th, 2014, 16:40
Agree with tip shifts. See if it holds gear when you give it some gas in 2nd.

Sounds like clutches are about toast, of course you never know. The jumping hard shifts and searching around are probably due to this slippage. You could be getting variations due to the fluid warming up.

There is the pressure regulator quick fix. Also, G2 just had some slipping and was experimenting with a more viscous fluid.

When my first trans failed, revs would spike and then grab when in auto. In tip it would slip and clunk into place when shifted. Fluid was full of metal and other particles when looked at, done!

When you mentioned reliable, I would highly suggest no tune, not sure if you are.

Other_Erik
February 14th, 2014, 17:00
Try tip shifts
Check fluid level
How old is fluid
Will try tip shifting, not sure how agreeable it'll be but will post results.
Fluid level should be golden, but another thing to check out.
Will check service records for last trans service. Hopefully it's something that simple, can do a full flush/filter/fill in my garage NP.

Agree with tip shifts. See if it holds gear when you give it some gas in 2nd.

Sounds like clutches are about toast, of course you never know. The jumping hard shifts and searching around are probably due to this slippage. You could be getting variations due to the fluid warming up.

There is the pressure regulator quick fix. Also, G2 just had some slipping and was experimenting with a more viscous fluid.

When my first trans failed, revs would spike and then grab when in auto. In tip it would slip and clunk into place when shifted. Fluid was full of metal and other particles when looked at, done!

When you mentioned reliable, I would highly suggest no tune, not sure if you are.
Hope it's not clutches, lacking the $$ to rebuild due to IRS wonkiness (AMT fucked me hard this year thanks to overtime). I am not (yet) tuned, was thinking about going 10secS4 tune.

DHall1
February 14th, 2014, 17:46
Change the fluid and filter asap

Bnd or schaeffers/sp?

I would not tune at your mileage.....if on oe trans. Get a Tozo trans first

lswing
February 14th, 2014, 17:59
Tip shifting can give you a much better idea of what each gear is doing, staying/slipping.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/transmission-fluid.html

Make sure to fill at the correct temp, follow fill procedure.

Bigglezworth
February 14th, 2014, 19:37
You're not going to like the sound of this, but I had similar things occuring on my one beast here and within a relatively short period of time it was toast.... I haven't performed a disection on the tranny yet to confirm what the cause of failure was. Will likely be doing that in March after I wrap up a couple of other projects.

ben916
February 14th, 2014, 20:13
Change the fluid and filter asap
Get a Tozo trans first

Dave speakth the troof!

There might be some $hit in the VB.

Good luck!

Do you have a warranty? You might be using it shortly.

lswing
February 14th, 2014, 21:16
There might be some $hit in the VB.

Yea, a bunch of Sh!t from the roasted clutches.....hope not though!

4everRS
February 15th, 2014, 00:13
Find a deer and try to hit it hard

JSRS6
February 15th, 2014, 00:39
Oh Kyle, you comedian you.

fbatwork
February 15th, 2014, 00:43
My transmission had similar symptons... shortly before it stopped providing power to the output shafts...

ben916
February 15th, 2014, 00:54
find a deer and try to hit it hard

lol! 12345

lswing
February 15th, 2014, 01:28
Find a deer and try to hit it hard

So that's what happened....

Bigglezworth
February 15th, 2014, 01:58
My transmission had similar symptons... shortly before it stopped providing power to the output shafts...This was the car that was on the lot for 'cheap' a few months back? yikes.

fbatwork
February 16th, 2014, 06:37
This was the car that was on the lot for 'cheap' a few months back? yikes.

That wouldn't have been mine...

Bigglezworth
February 16th, 2014, 15:08
That wouldn't have been mine...Sorry, I was thinking it was you who bought the Avus Silver '04 from Autonation a few months back.

fbatwork
February 17th, 2014, 06:25
No worries.