PDA

View Full Version : Why couldn't the RS6 have the S4/S6 4.2 coolant tube?

Bigglezworth
February 8th, 2014, 00:46
Have always wondered why such a crappy design was opted for with the upper rad coolant pipe so as to create a barrier for removal of the passenger side valve cover. A molded hose would have saved big $$ and frustration for many a mechanic.

alrightroad
February 8th, 2014, 05:18
Will you retro something in place of the hard pipe? looks doable.

yokust
February 8th, 2014, 18:41
Well the things that a 4.2 didnt have, is an intercooler bi-pipe and hoses wrapped around the side of the heads there.

On a engine that gets as hot as ours, I would want to limit the length of any rubber hose

Bigglezworth
February 8th, 2014, 20:54
The intercooler hose isn't in the way. It's below. It's the take-off for the aux rads that is in the way. As for heat on the hose, the water inside is hotter than the air outside, so there should be no concerns with heat.

yokust
February 8th, 2014, 22:25
The picture you are using is from a S4 4.2, which is a different motor then ours fyi.

The S6 4.2 upper coolant pipe would run dead into our intercooler bipipe. I have both sitting here I could send you pics.

And yes the coolant is hotter then the the parts around, but there is ZERO air flow to that section of engien bay

Bigglezworth
February 9th, 2014, 01:43
The picture you are using is from a S4 4.2, which is a different motor then ours fyi.C'mon man. Seriously? I just R&R'd one and well know the difference in the motors.... The point of this post is relative to CRAPPY engineering. Other examples of better engineering on the same platform exist, but alas were abandoned when the RS excercise was executed. No more need for debate.

Corbett
February 9th, 2014, 05:38
I literally just did my valve cover gaskets. Drivers side piece of cake. Passenger side, a little bit of a pain but not terrible. I unbolted the one bolt holding the pipe to the head at the end of the hard pipe underneath. Then I just gave it a light prybar pull and was able to reinstall my valve covers without scratching the fresh powdercoat.