View Full Version : 04 RS6 + 03 RS6 mating in the wild = my car

Greyyork
February 5th, 2014, 21:51
So I just found out (in a real shitty way) that my car is an 03, but with an 04 transmission and engine. You would think that they are COMPLETELY identical. No. I ordered another silver intake because mine was slightly warped and the dam thing doesn't fit! It's shaped almost identical except for a smaller cut down the side and its slightly larger overall, the 03 version is a lot "weaker". After cutting it a little bit and forcing it in everything fit, but I had to investigate. (btw this is OEM straight from Audi) The 03 air intake (silver duct) is larger and isn't heat treated. The official note attached to the part number (when comparing the O3 and O4) says that the o3 is for *NOT HOT CLIMATES* while the o4 says *for extremely hot climates*. heres the kicker. 03 intake 60 bucks, 04 = 130. Just thought I would share this with the RS6 gurus.

MaxRS6
February 5th, 2014, 22:54
First time I heard of this. Is it a different part number? Mine is silver. If I recall correctly- I was charged about $130. I ranted (some time ago) about it on here as the paint peeled on the new part within days and Audi would not replace under warranty just because the car has the APR tune. Yeah- Go figure and added to the next car decision scale weights.

February 5th, 2014, 23:52
Umm, you can buy an intake for $60? must not be the intake I am thinking of. 'splain a little more please?

Bigglezworth
February 6th, 2014, 01:12
Lots of people call the airbox and the ducts that feed it "intakes" whereas the real intake is the aluminum or cast iron plenum that houses carbs/throttle bodies and feeds the heads Are you talking about one of the ducts that come off the rad support and attach to the airbox? All of the cars in NA (Canada and US combined) are effectively all manufactured in the 03 year. There are numerous instances where one of the 90 cars sold in Canada was sold and registered as an 04, but has an earlier production number than others sold and registered as 03's in the US. They were all imported by Audi of North America at the same time and the reason it was a full year for release in Canada was specific to the additional modifications AoNA had to make to the car to meet the more stringent crash test standards of Canada's DOT. Makes NO sense whatsoever for one to believe there is a difference between 03/04 for RS6's in NA.

Greyyork
February 7th, 2014, 19:33
I confirmed it with Audi. My chassis is 03 and my engine/transmission is 04. There are subtle differences between the two. Yes I am referring to the silver "ducts". My vin number is to an 04 and 03....when I asked audi about it they were like "hmmm two cars pop up with this vin".

BigD2500HD
February 7th, 2014, 20:21
...interesting
*grabs Popcorn*:pop:

Greyyork
February 7th, 2014, 21:17
*starts forming conspiracy theory*

yokust
February 8th, 2014, 02:09
Thats very odd, my first car was a 2003, and second car is a "2004/late model 2003" whatever you want to call it.

Both intakes sitting on my wall in shinney carbon goodness, and both are indentical, and front hose peices are the same as well

Greyyork
February 8th, 2014, 10:07
I took pictures. They look EXACTLY identical except the 04 model has a slightly larger slit to accommodate a hose on the outside facing side of the duct...the o3 is also larger all around and not a physically solid as the 04.