PDA

View Full Version : 75k service coming up, anything I should check beyond recommended maintenance?

Turbowned
January 29th, 2014, 01:33
Gentlemen,

75k is fast approaching my RS 6 and I have reviewed the recommended service and checks for the vehicle, but I'm wondering if there's anything else that would be good to check/replace considering the manufacturer didn't foresee any common problem areas when the vehicle was introduced. Thankfully the timing belt was done at 68k so I can scratch that off the list. Thoughts? (Besides a 6MT conversion ;) )

DHall1
January 29th, 2014, 18:22
Change the fuel filter every year or at least every 12k.

Trans.....drain and refill every year and filter/fluid every 40k

Plugs every 20k for sure.

Then all the other regular stuff....air filters every 20k....timing belt every 40k

ttboost
January 31st, 2014, 00:59
replace automatic trans every 50k....

RAUDI
January 31st, 2014, 01:21
replace automatic trans every 50k....

hahahaha

DHall1
January 31st, 2014, 03:04
Replace early vin transmissions every 50k

G2
January 31st, 2014, 07:26
Replace early vin transmissions every 50k

Personal experience?

ttboost
January 31st, 2014, 12:24
everyone's experience...if not yet.....wait...unless your car is stock....

G2
February 2nd, 2014, 17:20
Hmmm, that leaves me 8k to go. But someone skipped the "first" replacement.

Fluids, fluids.....

Turbowned
February 3rd, 2014, 04:21
Stock, late VIN, fingers crossed. I'll change the fluid. Any particular fluid recommendations?

Here's a question: how to adjust headlamp leveling? The auto leveling works but the cutoff is too high; getting a lot pf high beams flashed at me.

DHall1
February 3rd, 2014, 04:35
If a drain and refill only.....then oem. Many use BND....I do.

Headlight adjuster on housing. Dont go too far....if you are way off it must be done via VAG

Stock, late VIN, fingers crossed. I'll change the fluid. Any particular fluid recommendations?

Here's a question: how to adjust headlamp leveling? The auto leveling works but the cutoff is too high; getting a lot pf high beams flashed at me.

Turbowned
March 7th, 2014, 16:45
Here's three more questions:

When you order air filters, the car has two, correct? So when you order them online do you have to specify quantity 2 or is one part number for one pair?

Tranny fluid: flush or drain and fill if it's never been done before?

Spark plugs: preferred type - copper, platinum, iridium? I figure iridium since I have little desire to change plugs often but...

DHall1
March 7th, 2014, 17:32
Most vendors and oe you need 2

Drain, filter, fill

Use stock plugs.

Here's three more questions:

When you order air filters, the car has two, correct? So when you order them online do you have to specify quantity 2 or is one part number for one pair?

Tranny fluid: flush or drain and fill if it's never been done before?

Spark plugs: preferred type - copper, platinum, iridium? I figure iridium since I have little desire to change plugs often but...

March 8th, 2014, 09:00
2 filters....unscrew the MAF's from the intake if you want to save your wiring harness.

Check for damage to the trans pan before reinstalling.....

Plugs are one of the few things on the beast that are easy....take your pick.

Turbowned
March 10th, 2014, 13:36
Thanks gentlemen! Will be tackling this next month when the BRZ is back on the road and I actually hit 75k. I might have one of the techs at work flush the brake fluid so I don't have to, but everything else should be done by me. I might put off cleaning out the I/C hoses and get Wagners in a month or two.

Turbowned
March 22nd, 2014, 13:40
What engine oil is everyone using? Are there alternatives to using dealer-supplied VW50501 5W40? I've never been so concerned about doing regular maintenance before, haha. Used to working on a little Toyota or BMW 4 banger and nothing to worry about...

DHall1
March 22nd, 2014, 16:25
Quantum blue from Brian at BND.

What engine oil is everyone using? Are there alternatives to using dealer-supplied VW50501 5W40? I've never been so concerned about doing regular maintenance before, haha. Used to working on a little Toyota or BMW 4 banger and nothing to worry about...

Turbowned
March 22nd, 2014, 19:15
I'm sorry, that makes me think of the blue goop that everyone is addicted to in the obscure 1995 Sci-fi movie "Time Master"