PDA

View Full Version : Need a lot of help here guys...

Dmb408
January 23rd, 2014, 19:50
So had timing belt job done a week ago, but to keep a long story short, noticed some oil near my turbos after dropping my engine coolant temp sesnor down the side of the bay (actually dropped a second that was on a wire, came off the wire!). So the oil and my screwups scared me enough to take the car into the indy. While I at the indy figuring out the other issues they heard some noise coming from, possibly, the belts. They didn't hear it again for a couple more starts, and then right before I was going to come get the car, they heard it again. So they recommended that we take the covers back off and see what's going on.

So here is where I am asking for your best guesses: there is minimal squeak marks on the cover, not bad, but nothing metal was being shredded by something being extremely off, but they noticed that the belt is walking slightly when the engine is cranked around and it looks like it might be that the water pump pulley is slightly out relative to the other travel points of the belt? Before we go any further, any ideas, try to seat that water pump pulley further but that might not be the issue? Was the belt just breaking in weird with this super cold weather? Did I get an out of round Gates belt? Anything?

Any ideas!? Please help, I don't want to go through taking it apart again, stabbing in the dark.

P.S. I really do trust my indy, extremely competent Porsche, VW, Audi techs.

January 24th, 2014, 01:36
Your timing belt cover is inside out....I did this to mine and freaked out....there are clips on the cover and when you get them backward the covers rub on the timing belt.

JSRS6
January 24th, 2014, 02:28
Ha! I remember doing that. Kinda easy to do if you aren't familiar.

Beardown1
January 24th, 2014, 02:46
Most likely the TB cover, but there are shims for the water pump and an alignment tool/gauge to make sure it is lined up correctly. Not necessary if you didn't replace the water pump, but something to check into if you did.

G2
January 24th, 2014, 03:16
Belts normally walk around a bit, especially when new. Shouldn't be more than 1-2mm at most. I'd say the ones I do are usually 1mm or less. Conti or Gates makes good belts. I like the Gates racing belt for the RS6.

Not hard to put a dial indicator on the WP pulley. Normally most Euro shops will use Graf or Seri pumps. My fav is Geba, but I don't think they make them for the V8's. Hopefully the spindle isn't bent or the the pulley crooked. Either way all rotational parts need to be inspected (or should have been) for anything obvious.

Interesting to see how this plays out........

Bigglezworth
January 24th, 2014, 03:21
Your timing belt cover is inside out....I did this to mine and freaked out....there are clips on the cover and when you get them backward the covers rub on the timing belt.???? WTH? The covers can only go one one way. Impossible to put on inside out and impossible to swap left to right. Help me better understand what it is exactly that you're referring to. Are you referring to a situation whereupon you might inadvertently lay the overlaying top covers behind the lower cover which pushes the lower cover in and could possibly rub? Like this?

Beardown1
January 24th, 2014, 03:31
That's what I thought he meant......hopefully not the other

Beardown1
January 24th, 2014, 03:34
BTW......and not to thread jack......905084 I received the shifter cable end thingy yesterday......Thanks again!!!!!!

January 24th, 2014, 03:44
???? WTH? The covers can only go one one way. Impossible to put on inside out and impossible to swap left to right. Help me better understand what it is exactly that you're referring to. Are you referring to a situation whereupon you might inadvertently lay the overlaying top covers behind the lower cover which pushes the lower cover in and could possibly rub? Like this?

Zach Lee......tabs go the opposite way, belt rubs, sounds like a squirrel with his tail in a trap.....wifey fired mine up after the engine pull and I freaked. Turned out I had the tabs the wrong way.

Dmb408
January 24th, 2014, 13:34
The squirrel, rub description sounds like exactly what happened, I am hoping this is it and you guys helped solve it.

January 24th, 2014, 15:06
You can fire the motor for a few seconds after the covers are on but before you put the cast aluminum intake plenum on to check. Would have saved me time the first time.