PDA

View Full Version : Trans filter question

lswing
December 30th, 2013, 03:50
When discussing OEM filter, I've heard make sure you get the one with the long pickup. Is this true, are there multiple OEM labeled filters for the ZF with different lengths?

And if so, what if you got a short one and then did the recommended 1/4" trim....wouldn't be so good.

Tempted to pull the pan and measure gap for kicks. I doubt that's my problem, but want to look into everything.

ttboost
December 30th, 2013, 12:05
I didn't know there were 2 different filter lengths? Doesn't make sense. Only 1 pan depth? When I bought my car, it had a transmission issue. That's why it was traded in and I bought it fairly cheap (at the time). When we got it on the lift and dropped the pan, we noticed that the filter had a 1-2" slit on the very edge of the filter. It didn't look like an OEM filter. So it was either OEM and just failed (not likely) or it was aftermarket, didn't fit, and someone tried to be creative and save a buck. Whatever direction you go, use OEM.

lswing
December 30th, 2013, 16:42
I heard somebody comment on the different pickup lengths, not sure on the truth of it? Maybe if you don't get OEM you might get something that is off spec?

Bigglezworth
December 30th, 2013, 16:47
Take a read through this post off 246.com. It's shows a broken filter as likely being the cause of tranny failure. It also talks about differing lengths of pick-up and mentions different pan depths too.... (specifically on page 3).

"Re sump and filter pick up lengths.

Apparently the RS6 ZF 5HP24A were all supposed to come with a deeper sump than most of the other 5HP24s out there to allow for more oil but not all of them got the deeper sump.

As a result, there are 2 versions of oil filter for this gearbox. Mark is sending me the correct filter for the RS6 gearbox which has a longer pick up tube. I have to do some measuring of the sump to check that I have around 2-3mm below the oil pick up pipe.

I'd imagine that trimming the pipe a little more is a quick mod which is carried out to make sure that no gearbox ever ends up with less than 1mm clearance for the oil to be sucked up."

http://forum.rs246.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104077

Some good documents available for download that can be saved for a rainy day too (page 4)....

I mentioned a short bit ago that I would always ensure replacement part matches exactly to the part being removed (like this rebuilder did on page 4 of his write-up), but in a case whereupon someone has inadvertently used a non-OEM product that was incorrect, then that mideset is useless. Being as he was able to see the part number ID and the date it was made confirming all was OEM, then I think the risk of matching was non-existent. As ttboost mentions, it's always good to use OEM on an item like this.

lswing
December 30th, 2013, 17:50
Good score Bigglez, that's where I read it!

Yep, OEM for sure. The next filter will be in a new trans that is being rebuild this month, so the plan will be to compare, along with measure the gap so the trimmed (if needed) filter is perfect.

I'm just trying to eliminate any possible failure options in the future.

DHall1
December 30th, 2013, 18:00
Turn down the boost!

:-)

Happy New Year

lswing
December 30th, 2013, 18:04
Turn down the boost!

Happy New Year

Already did:(

Guy at the shop was funny, hands me a piece of 2x4, says put this under your gas pedal and all problems will be solved.....well that's no fun!

I'll be a bit nicer to the next trans, guess I'll baby the damned thing for a while...itching to find out what has failed in the current once it gets torn down in a few months...

Cheers!

ttboost
December 30th, 2013, 20:05
Turn down the boost!

Happy New Year

I dont...I don't...I don't understand?

lswing
December 30th, 2013, 20:10
What boost?

DHall1
December 30th, 2013, 20:16
.95-1.0 bar of boost is my sweet spot.

If fuel and timing are properly sorted...even that is too much for our trans.

Its a risk reward. How many transmissions do you want to rebuild in order to get that last 35hp left on the table.

lswing
December 30th, 2013, 20:24
Turned down to .75-.8 bar at this point...and was actually all year. There was some extra timing in there that I've backed off too...still plenty fast!

Turbowned
December 30th, 2013, 21:11
What did he say? Turn up the boost? Okay! *runs off happily*

TozoM8
December 30th, 2013, 22:14
Two different size filters. One is 25mm for the early (97-00) A8. All the others need the 19mm pickup and I cut another 6-7mm off of that. I've learned the hard way on my A8 that they made two different depth pan.

MaxRS6
December 30th, 2013, 23:23
And while on subject- keep a close eye on the pan for dings and dents that can impede da flow. It does not take much due to the small clearance.

Bigglezworth
December 31st, 2013, 00:37
Two different size filters. One is 25mm for the early (97-00) A8. All the others need the 19mm pickup and I cut another 6-7mm off of that. I've learned the hard way on my A8 that they made two different depth pan.You run shorter than OEM than?

TozoM8
December 31st, 2013, 03:02
Yes. There is a bump on the middle of the pan were the filter pickup is. It is very easy to push it up when you try to support the trans from the bottom. I've seen a filter broken after the pan was pushed up just by holding the weight of the trans. Once it "pops" in, it will move with the heat. We measured the depth cold and after we take it out of the steam cooker, it was 1/4" shallower.