PDA

View Full Version : H&R Springs..... w/ a catch....275's

Kgnast
December 23rd, 2013, 17:34
Hi All,

Just wanted to float this out there and see what the responses are. I have the BBS 20"s on the car. I want to lower the vehicle, but the truth is, the front sits pretty damn fine. It's that rear rake of about 1.25" more than the front which is just killing me. I'm glad I didn't install the springs when I had the 18"s on there. I understand the front H&R springs lower the car about 1.4 inches.... and NO WAY is there that kind of room with the 20"s.

The rear H&R springs will lower the rear 1". And to me, that would be just about a perfect gap match between the front and rear and make those 20"s on 275's just tuck in there so nicely.

I'd like some opinions on installing only the rear H&R springs. I am quite happy with the DRC and I do not want to make the jump to coilovers and hotchkis bars at this time. Eventually I will need a ride height adjustable setup so I can go back and forth with the 20"s and the 18"s. But for now, I'd like to just install the rear springs and bring the rear down that inch.

4everRS
December 23rd, 2013, 18:48
2 things. One is that the 20" wheel makes no difference to overall size with tires. The width would make a difference .
And the other is that I bet whoever did your last alignment tightened the bolts with weight off the wheels. Get to a shop and tell them to loosen and then tighten the control arms with weight on the car, then tighten. This will likely fix your rake.

Kgnast
December 23rd, 2013, 21:19
Assuming the rear Ctrl arms were torqued on the ground... What issue if any would there be on running only the H&R rear springs?

2 things. One is that the 20" wheel makes no difference to overall size with tires. The width would make a difference .
And the other is that I bet whoever did your last alignment tightened the bolts with weight off the wheels. Get to a shop and tell them to loosen and then tighten the control arms with weight on the car, then tighten. This will likely fix your rake.

4everRS
December 23rd, 2013, 22:47
Assuming the rear Ctrl arms were torqued on the ground... What issue if any would there be on running only the H&R rear springs?
No issues with that.
I was riding high in the back and after I backed up onto vehicle ramps, I went under and loosened the bolts, noting the position they were in. I then opened the trunk, put in some weight, and jumped up and down on the opening. Tightened back up and all was well.

UrS6
December 23rd, 2013, 23:40

Depending on the spring rates it could change the way the car handles. Raising the spring rate in the rear will cause more oversteer than currently exists. This could be good or bad. I assume the difference in spring rates is not hugely different and it may just reduce the factory understeer a bit.

alrightroad
December 24th, 2013, 02:14
if you stiffen up rear bias you will present more lateral G toward the rear 1/2 of car which could put you in a spin more easily in rain. snow will be worse.

kismetcapitan
December 31st, 2013, 01:00
I thought of doing just the rear H&R springs but the front will sit too high. I do wish the front drop was 1.2" instead of 1.4", or even just 1" up front. It really is an aggressive amount of drop up front, and if you have wider tires or wheel spacers (I have the latter), you'll have to roll the bejeezus out of the fenders...and you can kiss anything requiring ground clearance goodbye. I can't go through car washes anymore and sloped driveways are nerve wracking.

Kgnast
January 20th, 2014, 20:01
I hear ya kismet. I feel like the 1" drop at the rear would just about equalize the gap between the front and the rear. My front only has about a 1/2" gap anyway, what with the 20"s in there. The back has a good 1 1/2. I guess I can go all around and possible run a 3/4" thick spring cup perch to get some "lift" after dropping in springs which dump the car on the floor. My question is where does one go about sourcing proper spring cup/perch spacers for these cars? The type on which the spring rests/sits in.

I really should have bought just bout the H&R coilovers.

I thought of doing just the rear H&R springs but the front will sit too high. I do wish the front drop was 1.2" instead of 1.4", or even just 1" up front. It really is an aggressive amount of drop up front, and if you have wider tires or wheel spacers (I have the latter), you'll have to roll the bejeezus out of the fenders...and you can kiss anything requiring ground clearance goodbye. I can't go through car washes anymore and sloped driveways are nerve wracking.

DHall1
January 20th, 2014, 21:09
Mismatched spring rates are never a good thing. Add 500hp awd and corners with dips....equals no fun to control.

You could sell the springs and buy the full coilovers. Never too late

The 1.2 drop on the front is from a non-sport suspension A6. You can get the front where you need it. Wait 4 days and i will show you the results

Wheel arch to ground is 26fr, 26 1/8rear on my KW car. Target for my Daytona w/H&R is exactly the same.

Kgnast
February 18th, 2014, 00:02
How's it going with this DHall? Make any progress with the H&R spring install?

Mismatched spring rates are never a good thing. Add 500hp awd and corners with dips....equals no fun to control.

You could sell the springs and buy the full coilovers. Never too late

The 1.2 drop on the front is from a non-sport suspension A6. You can get the front where you need it. Wait 4 days and i will show you the results

Wheel arch to ground is 26fr, 26 1/8rear on my KW car. Target for my Daytona w/H&R is exactly the same.

DHall1
February 18th, 2014, 05:46
Yeah

Install went perfect. Ride is well sorted and damping rates match spring rates

Did you see my HR install thread?

25 3/4 front
26 rear

Stock 18s w/PSS 255/40s

Kgnast
February 19th, 2014, 21:17
No I didn't catch the install thread. I'll look for it..... thanks. Did you need spring cup spacers or anything for that ride height? or

Yeah

Install went perfect. Ride is well sorted and damping rates match spring rates

Did you see my HR install thread?

25 3/4 front
26 rear

Stock 18s w/PSS 255/40s