PDA

View Full Version : Checking agian...anybody ever have the 3rd-4th shift jump?

lswing
December 21st, 2013, 23:03
Well, looks like I'll be putting another trans in, merry xmas to my car!

Would really like to know if anybody has ever had the 3rd-4th shift jump when at or close to WOT in Tip?

This happened to my first trans about 6 months before it failed, and now happens with my current trans. All other shifting and driving is fine for now, as long as I don't WOT in 3rd where max torque is. Pops to 4th with a decent thump at 4,500 rpm every time.

ARRRGGGGHHHHHH:addict: <------I know why the little face is growling now.....oh well, love the car, timeless looks and luxury, looks like I get to drive a Sentra for a few weeks:incar:....

Oh yes, no trans codes. Replaced trans temp sensor, all good I think. EGT code has been showing, but that's another issue....

SA RS6
December 22nd, 2013, 00:26
I don't have that issue but I'm not looking foward to it. At least I have the warranty to help me out.

DHall1
December 23rd, 2013, 02:50
If the symptoms were the same....I would think something in the trans/valve body is causing the problem. Not related to the rebuild but it still remains after the reman. So case/drums/valve body and solenoids.

I would swap out the valve body first.

lswing
December 23rd, 2013, 05:41
If the symptoms were the same....I would think something in the trans/valve body is causing the problem. Not related to the rebuild but it still remains after the reman. So case/drums/valve body and solenoids.

I would swap out the valve body first.

Current trans is from another car. I'm interested to see what is broken when it gets examined. Will put a new lump in and give a go fingers crossed. I don't think I drive the piss out of my car but the motor and tune are putting some pressure on it for sure...

lswing
December 23rd, 2013, 05:44
I would agree feels like a VB issue not holding pressure, but I also worry I tore up the clutch pack this summer, shifting is mushy across the board...swap lumps and see what we get...

DHall1
December 23rd, 2013, 15:58
Yeah, I would tend to agree.

Two different transmissions and a similar failure point. There are pros and cons to swapping a reman. I really wanted to to keep the trans core out of my #3 at the time of failure. I should have asked how much the core charge was. As it was a low mile box with 40k and a new TC

When you get the reman exchange there is no idea how many miles are on the housing and vb.

I would agree feels like a VB issue not holding pressure, but I also worry I tore up the clutch pack this summer, shifting is mushy across the board...swap lumps and see what we get...

lswing
December 23rd, 2013, 19:39
I had wanted to keep my original box as I knew it had failed, but I hadn't hammered on it much. I did put that thinking to the side though as I believe most every wearable part is replaced in the rebuild. Maybe I'll get my old one back this time. It will be interesting to find out what failed in it, if that can be found with all the little o-rings and parts that go into these...

hahnmgh63
December 24th, 2013, 01:12
Same in my case. I had a core out of the Raven Motorsports car, no idea on the condition when I bought it. I sent it for rebuild and was told that it had some water in the differential and a little rust which has always made me regret not sending my original box which was in good condition. You might ask why I swapped it when my original box was in good condition, well, I dropped the engine for a broken Turbo stud and then proceeded to dump $8~10K into it, including the rebuilt tranny, Turbos, Hoses, O-rings & Gaskets, O2's, EGT's, etc....

G2
December 26th, 2013, 03:58
Haven't had that symptom -- yet -- but some other oddness along the way. See recent post about shifting issues.

Hope it all works out.....