PDA

View Full Version : RNS-E Troubleshooting

Other_Erik
December 16th, 2013, 16:09
So I did end up getting my RNS-E, thanks again for the contact info for Zawa. I love it! Looks great, works great, all the bells and whistles.

Troubleshooting time!
Any time I leave any disc in it (Nav DVD, Music CD, whatever...), the unit doesn't go into deep sleep mode, and overnight (or while I'm at work), it drains the battery. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?
If I take the disc out, deep sleep happens no problem, I can leave the car 3 days (possibly more, haven't had the opportunity to leave it longer), and it cranks right up, no problem.

Anyone have any idea why that might be happening?

Thanks
O_E

Corbett
December 16th, 2013, 16:49
Did you splice into the high and low can bus lines when you installed it?

Other_Erik
December 16th, 2013, 16:52
Did you splice into the high and low can bus lines when you installed it?

No splicing was done, all connections were made via adapter from Symphony II w/Bose

SteveKen
December 16th, 2013, 16:54
I tend to think that this is a harness issue. I bought my RNS-E from someone who had it in their allroad and their battery always getting.

I double checked the harness that was supplied with it when I installed it in my car and it was pinned out wrong.

I haven't had my car off jackstands long enough to verify, but I'm confident that my battery wasn't getting drained.

Please let me know what you find out, as I'm still interested in your root cause.

Corbett
December 16th, 2013, 17:00
No splicing was done, all connections were made via adapter from Symphony II w/Bose

Do the lights on the rnse buttons turn on at night? My adapter didn't work out of the box and I had to splice into the can high and low signal wires to get it to work

Other_Erik
December 16th, 2013, 17:07
Do the lights on the rnse buttons turn on at night? My adapter didn't work out of the box and I had to splice into the can high and low signal wires to get it to work

Yep, lights all work properly and the nav screen goes to dark mode when the headlights are turned on. I'm even getting the speed warnings and music info in my cluster LCD screen. Everything seems to work, except it'll never wind down a disc.
I left a music CD in the car from ~1pm-9pm on Saturday, battery was too low to crank but the RNS-E happily turned right on and ejected a very WARM disc. Tells me it'd been spinning the entire time :\

O_E

Corbett
December 16th, 2013, 17:10
What's your coding in vag com for the rnse

Other_Erik
December 16th, 2013, 17:14
What's your coding in vag com for the rnse

Unit came pre-coded from Zawa. I have a vag-com, what should I be looking for?

O_E

Corbett
December 16th, 2013, 17:31
Radio>recode

whats the coding say

marklar182
December 16th, 2013, 18:51
Your battery may be on the edge.

I had the same thing happen when I installed my RNS-E. Battery Gave up. No problems since (3yrs).

hahnmgh63
December 17th, 2013, 03:20
Go to Navigation in Vagcom and check & post any faults and what the soft coding is.

TozoM8
December 19th, 2013, 00:11
Unit came pre-coded from Zawa. I have a vag-com, what should I be looking for?

O_E

Here is a guide for the wiring.
http://forums.quattroworld.com/a8/msgs/383.phtml

LIRS6
May 7th, 2014, 19:00
Any time I leave any disc in it (Nav DVD, Music CD, whatever...), the unit doesn't go into deep sleep mode, and overnight (or while I'm at work), it drains the battery. Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?
If I take the disc out, deep sleep happens no problem, I can leave the car 3 days (possibly more, haven't had the opportunity to leave it longer), and it cranks right up, no problem.

Anyone have any idea why that might be happening?

Thanks
O_E

I now have the same issue - did you find a solution?

Other_Erik
May 8th, 2014, 18:25

Negative, haven't had time to fool with it. I'm thinking I missed a step in the beginning of the directions having to do with unplugging the OnStar harness in the trunk, but I got the Bluetooth module with the rns-e, and plan to replace the OnStar module under the passenger seat instead, not sure if I have to screw with anything in the trunk.

I'll report back after I have a free weekend to tinker, but that's probably still months away. If you come up with anything in the meantime, please post back :)

Thanks
O_E

Other_Erik
May 5th, 2015, 17:16

Following this up with a PM as well, I found the damn fix after MONTHS of d***ing with it.

Pull the Onstar guts and battery, optional re-route the stock GPS antenna cable to the back of the RNS-E

Problem. F***ing. Solved.

Wish I'd taken pictures for a writeup, but I'll definitely be posting up and sending a PM to followup.

O_E