PDA

View Full Version : LOL...I think my DRC is blown.

DHall1
December 13th, 2013, 06:19

45k on the car....never seen adverse weather about 20k on the updated recall struts.

You just have to laugh about it.

Squeek in the rear the last few weeks. Unloading some things out of the trunk tonite...noticed the rear moved very easy. So I pushed down on the rear....no damping and clunking. LOL

My Christmas list just added another line.

I was about to calculate up my maint costs this year.

2x100 dollar deducts for transmissions
Oil change
New set of Pilot Supersports

Hot damn, I think I can afford one of them there RSsixxes

Oh nooooo, we own one of the worst reliable vehicles made in the last 10 years.

Stupid bean counters behind the insurance company desk. Screw off.

Bigglezworth
December 13th, 2013, 15:27
Aside from the illfated desire by the engineers to put in a 6MT in lieu of the 5Tip and the problems associated with the DRC dampers, I personally feel our cars have received an extremely bad rap. The 42TTV8 engines are amoungst the best out there from a performance and maintenance perspective IMO. I've seen/read about many more problems on other performance cars and they are worse than ours. What else major from a mechanical perspective would make our cars the 'worst' vehicles from a reliability perspective?

SteveKen
December 13th, 2013, 15:35
Aside from the illfated desire by the engineers to put in a 6MT in lieu of the 5Tip and the problems associated with the DRC dampers, I personally feel our cars have received an extremely bad rap. The 42TTV8 engines are amoungst the best out there from a performance and maintenance perspective IMO. I've seen/read about many more problems on other performance cars and they are worse than ours. What else major from a mechanical perspective would make our cars the 'worst' vehicles from a reliability perspective?

I concur.

Having been 'hip deep in evil' with various repairs/rebuilds/conversions on various B5 & C5 Audis, the RS6 is no worse in expense and level of difficulty than a modded 2.7T. I chuckle when people shy away due to some urban legends....

DHall1
December 13th, 2013, 15:53
I laugh and buy another and another and will prob buy one more just to have a personal parts car.

I concur.

Having been 'hip deep in evil' with various repairs/rebuilds/conversions on various B5 & C5 Audis, the RS6 is no worse in expense and level of difficulty than a modded 2.7T. I chuckle when people shy away due to some urban legends....

Other_Erik
December 13th, 2013, 16:22

-Busted torque converter trashing transmissions on the <905100ish VIN's every ~40k miles
-Seem to have a propensity for trashing CV joints
-By far the biggest, pretty much any maintenance beyond oil change means autopsy table, engine out, service position, 40hrs service $4k bill plus whatever actual work needs done

lswing
December 13th, 2013, 16:33
Think the bad TC's are closer to 5500-5600 and below...

What gets me is the damn EGT sensors, WTF Bosch...do they always go out every few years?

Can be a very solid car for sure, it's that some of the costs and time labor wise can add up due to cramped workspace.

Bigglezworth
December 13th, 2013, 17:46
Don't confuse is high maintenance cost with reliability woes. Rotors, EGT's, Timing belts, Water pumps, etc all high cost for maintaining indeed. Broken tranny/TQ along with DRC = reliability for sure. My recent adventures with being stranded due to the failure of a plastic part in a CV joint could be chalked up to reliability, however that joint design is no different on this car than the hundreds of thousands others out there.

Car has a bad rap for two things IMO. DRC and Tranny/TC. Everything else occurs in some sort of fashion on every other car made by every other manufacturer.

ben916
December 13th, 2013, 17:56
Car has a bad rap for two things IMO. DRC and Tranny/TC. Everything else occurs in some sort of fashion on every other car made by every other manufacturer.

This^^^

Good thing the RS6 isn't cursed with the Lexus/Toyota sticky skinny pedal.

DHall1
December 13th, 2013, 19:02
My skinny pedal is always stuck in the down position. You some$itches better get out of my way.

The stupid article that ranked the RS6 as the 10 worst was a service contract company in England. Someone linked it here some time back. Then people get afraid of the car and the condition that is a false perception because the %ucking insurance company equated $$ cost of repair to reliable aspect of the vehicle. One does not equal the other in terms of number of times it breaks down. Sure the trans is a biggie and it skews the results when $$ is a factor. But how many times does it happen and there are so many options now for repair. I mean Tozo is 5k all in if you take him the car.

Then its fixed. Done. Enjoy it. Drive fast.

Bigglezworth
December 13th, 2013, 20:01
The stupid article that ranked the RS6 as the 10 worst was a service contract company in England. Someone linked it here some time back.

http://www.carscoops.com/2012/11/breaking-bad-warranty-direct-lists-10.html

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/news/51/Warranty%20Direct%20turns%2015,%20names%20Lancer%2 0most%20reliable%20car

DHall1
December 13th, 2013, 21:34
They got one thing right.

RS6 is #1

A$$ munchers Warranty Direct. Actually, I should thank them. Its almost a crime how cheap I can buy a 30,000 mile RS6 with 3yrs of warranty left. LOL

I'm trading both my RS6s in for a Suzuki.

I think the British would term Warranty Direct as Wankers.

alrightroad
December 14th, 2013, 11:56
They got one thing right.

RS6 is #1

A$$ munchers Warranty Direct. Actually, I should thank them. Its almost a crime how cheap I can buy a 30,000 mile RS6 with 3yrs of warranty left. LOL

I'm trading both my RS6s in for a Suzuki.

I think the British would term Warranty Direct as Wankers.

Yeah, the Brits know a thing or two about reliability. NOT. The LR Disco II we had years ago blew a head gasket at 41K miles.

hahnmgh63
December 14th, 2013, 16:23
DRC can fail?

DHall1
December 14th, 2013, 17:10
That would be the newsflash of the week. I'm trading my cars for Suzuki which is on Warranty Direct top 10 most reliable vehicles.

DRC can fail?

lswing
December 14th, 2013, 19:29
I'm holding onto a reliable car company such as Suzuki....

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-11-06/suzuki-pulls-out-of-u-s-car-market-after-almost-three-decades.html

DHall1
December 15th, 2013, 20:52
Well darn, DRC is not blown. Everything is sealed up w no leaks. What I was hearing were the valves in the back. Could only hear them from the outside.

Squeek was the rear seat.

I guess I'm keeping my cars. I really wanted a Suzuki

vr430
December 18th, 2013, 16:52
What is REALLY amazing is that wizards at Audi are putting DRC into RS7. Have they fixed it? Mine leaked out a couple months ago. Car felt like a 70's Caddy - my wife and kids got a kick out of the cushy ride. Ripped out DRC with extreme prejudice. Now running on 2Bennets.

audiprotn
December 18th, 2013, 17:34
What is REALLY amazing is that wizards at Audi are putting DRC into RS7. Have they fixed it? Mine leaked out a couple months ago. Car felt like a 70's Caddy - my wife and kids got a kick out of the cushy ride. Ripped out DRC with extreme prejudice. Now running on 2Bennets.
Yes, new generation DRC is much better from what they put into c5 rs6.

Bigglezworth
December 19th, 2013, 04:10
Yes, new generation DRC is much better from what they put into c5 rs6.The second gen C5 DRC struts have been just fine. It's the rusting flexible hoses that are the problem. Escapes me the logic of engineers that think that because you have a SS braided line, it won't break. It WILL and DOES break (burst) when it starts to rust after cracks in the outer rubber sheathing crack due to age/heat, and then permit the entry and festering of water/salts. My high mileage (235K) car was on the OEM 1st gen DRC that it came from the factory with when the recall was performed at 215K.... No broken lines. No leaking dampers. My other ride however has had ALL 4 hoses burst. Never a bad damper. Always a bad hose. Last burst hose just happened not long ago and I am out of replacement lines. lol I am going to look to put in some ST Coilovers as part of the revamping efforts I'm currently doing for a tranny swap.

Carado1984
December 19th, 2013, 23:18
Im pretty sure my DRC just shit the bed too. Started with clanking in the rear, mixed with some squeeking. Now the entire suspension makes noise over every bump and is bouncy as hell. I have not noticed any hydraulic fluid leaking though but it is by far the worst feeling suspension I have ever felt and it was perfectly fine, just stiff, when i first bought the car. Cant wait for tax return season.

Turbowned
December 21st, 2013, 14:44
I might ditch the DRC for some coil-overs just because the ride is mediocre around town if you ask me. That and I want the car to be lower. Is there a weight savings from swapping the DRC for coil-overs?

hahnmgh63
December 21st, 2013, 17:26
Can't remember exactly but I think the KW V3's were about 20# lighter than the DRC in total, that includes pulling all of the DRC lines. The KW's do have reservoirs so may be a couple pounds heavier than some of the others in total.

Dmb408
June 2nd, 2015, 21:39
I had my choice of old threads to resurrect but I picked this one... Calling Bigglezworth...didn't want to PM because I figure there might be some community benefit.

One of my DRC braided lines is toast, ruptured. Dealership of course wants 1600 for this because it comes with the accumulator and/or other lines. Did you ever figure out a solution for fixing this section of braided line? Thanks in advance. Are there separate part numbers possibly or lines and connectors of other set ups that work? Thanks!

Bigglezworth
June 3rd, 2015, 03:18
I had my choice of old threads to resurrect but I picked this one... Calling Bigglezworth...didn't want to PM because I figure there might be some community benefit.

One of my DRC braided lines is toast, ruptured. Dealership of course wants 1600 for this because it comes with the accumulator and/or other lines. Did you ever figure out a solution for fixing this section of braided line? Thanks in advance. Are there separate part numbers possibly or lines and connectors of other set ups that work? Thanks!I used a "fix" for my one front line yes. I wanted to simply have a hydraulic supply company here locally fabricate a new line like they would for brakes, but after digging in to the differences between the hydraulic lines for brakes and those for the DRC, quickly found out that the DRC is use specific. The brake lines have smaller internal diameter hoses and as such would not move as much fluid in as quick a manner as required. Brakes don't move anywhere near as much fluid as the DRC, so the smaller brake line was a no go. Also to add further complications to matters, the DRC fittings (that are stamped with the four rings on them), are an automotive specific fitting that the hydraulic supply companies don't have...

Then I took an approach to keep the OEM end fittings on the line and provide a new hydraulic coupling at the mid section where the line rusted out (front hose that had cracks in rubber hose covering which let the braided line within start to rust over time with festering water and salts). This was a no go also as the line is short and needed to still permit movement up and down with suspension travel and to much of the existing hose was required for the new compression fittings. That led to the third option which was to carefully grind off the OEM fittings on the old hosebeing careful to retain the head/neck and use that in conjunction with a new larger diameter hose and compressive fittings from standard hydraulic lines rated for 3000psi. In the end this worked well and only cost the $15.00 to fab the line. BIG difference from the $450.00 hose charged by the Audi Stealership... Once I had new line in place, I drove the car to the dealer and paid them $150.00 plus fluid to recharge the system. Was happy with the end result until another line failed and then simply elected to strip things out and go with a coil over suspension.

I never did anything with the accumulators as they weren't responsible for the lack of performance. The hose was. My dampers for the two OEM systems I had prior to the recall had never failed. Just the hoses and further, just the front hoses that had the flex and rubber rot. The hoses would have performed much better IMO if the would have been left as braided lines just like the oil cooler and tranny cooler lines. That way the water would have had a place to drip off from and easily dry vs. fester and rust/rot.

Dmb408
June 3rd, 2015, 13:59
So Bigglez, because it failed, you would not make decision to do the hose fix or would you?

Bigglezworth
June 3rd, 2015, 14:25
So Bigglez, because it failed, you would not make decision to do the hose fix or would you?I elected to repair for the first two times, but after the third instance, I pulled the plug. In doing so I went with a coil over that was subpar and have been unhappy compared to the OEM set-up, but that isn't laying blame to non-DRC rides. It was just my poor choice in after market. The other rides I have stayed with DRC and I have been fine with them. Neither of them have had a hose go and both of those are second gen struts.

lswing
June 3rd, 2015, 14:28
From experience, compared to many sporty performance and luxury cars, I've been very happy with the Koni Yellow Sport struts, exceeded my expectations. Really balance well with the stock springs it seems, comfortable but has some firmness to it, and that's running on the full soft setting. Just throwing it out there. And decent ride height, not too low for winter use...

Dmb408
June 3rd, 2015, 14:29
I think I am going to take a chance on some of the used ones off Ebay from Germany. Those will have seemingly not been exposed to Northeast US winter conditions (as my car was repeatedly by prior owner). This looks worth a chance, right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6-4B-Hydraulik-Zylinder-DRC-Fahrwerk-4B3616887-4B3616807-Zentralventil-/271871149139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3f4cc88453&vxp=mtr

DHall1
June 3rd, 2015, 16:07
I have a set of second gen drc struts. 25k CA miles

And lines again CA driven with 40k total

Bigglezworth
June 3rd, 2015, 19:31
I think I am going to take a chance on some of the used ones off Ebay from Germany. Those will have seemingly not been exposed to Northeast US winter conditions (as my car was repeatedly by prior owner). This looks worth a chance, right? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-RS6-4B-Hydraulik-Zylinder-DRC-Fahrwerk-4B3616887-4B3616807-Zentralventil-/271871149139?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item3f4cc88453&vxp=mtrARe you buying struts or lines? Pretty sure some users (myself included) have lines kicking around for cheap. A few also have 2nd gen struts laying around. Dave has a near pristine set of a car without any winter mileage. Better value than Germany IMO.

ttboost
June 3rd, 2015, 19:46
Stunned when I saw the title...blown DRC? Really?

Dmb408
June 3rd, 2015, 20:13

That is what I want/am going for just so we are clear, but really I just need the line coming off the valve, not even the "control valve," cough cough, the 1600 dollar part, oh but wait Jim Ellis has it on sale for only 1400, stop the press.

DHall1
June 3rd, 2015, 20:23
I have what you need.

That is what I want/am going for just so we are clear, but really I just need the line coming off the valve, not even the "control valve," cough cough, the 1600 dollar part, oh but wait Jim Ellis has it on sale for only 1400, stop the press.

Dmb408
June 5th, 2015, 14:30
Valves on their way - thanks Dave.

On a related note, do you all think I can plug-n-play an empty valve in myself when I get it and then drive it the 30 miles to the dealership for the recharge (i.e. that way they only charge me for the recharge hours, not an extra half or full hour for putting in the new valve). My worry is air.

Bigglezworth
June 5th, 2015, 14:37
Valves on their way - thanks Dave.

On a related note, do you all think I can plug-n-play an empty valve in myself when I get it and then drive it the 30 miles to the dealership for the recharge (i.e. that way they only charge me for the recharge hours, not an extra half or full hour for putting in the new valve). My worry is air.Yes. I did exactly that twice (for one bank). Remember spring supports the car - strut provides dampening. Many an owner has lost a seal or a hose at some point and driven for some time prior to figuring out the DRC had failed. During that entire time the system was without pressure in the same manner as what you will have. I suppose you could argue that there remains some fluid in the damper after a seal goes or a hose cracks, but there is still a host of air. IMO, as long as you're not driving roads that are excessively poor, you should be just fine. They have to bleed the system of all air as part of the recharge so no worries about there being air in the line(s). In the end you need to be comfortable with what you do with your ride so the final decision needs to be yours Perhaps the dealer providing the recharge has an opinion?

Dmb408
June 5th, 2015, 14:56
Yea I will ask R/RS6 tech, he usually responds to my dumb questions like this kindly and quickly. I think I am going to go DIY, plus dealer do the recharge method. I can't do too much damage :)

RS2racer
June 5th, 2015, 19:04
My Koni's are being swapped in as I type...can't wait...