PDA

View Full Version : Parts Question related to Temp Guage

nistah
December 11th, 2013, 15:06
Hi I am wondering which part feeds the Temp gage on the dash to the left of the fuel gage. Would it be the Temp Sender Unit or the Thermostat? Thanks in advance....

DST
December 11th, 2013, 15:18
It would be the temp sending unit. The thermostat is just a mechanical valve that opens when engine comes up to operating temperature.

nistah
December 11th, 2013, 16:15
OK thanks, I have a replacement Temp sending unit and gasket that I need to install. Heard this is much easier than the Thermostat. Can anyone point me to a DIY that is posted either here or on Audizine etc? Thanks !!!

hahnmgh63
December 12th, 2013, 01:51
You mentioned gasket. What you should have is the temp sending unit, most likely with a Green top but aftermarket may have a black top, and you should have an O-ring that goes around the Brass part, it mounts at the top rear of the engine. They are held in by a plastic clip that should be replaced as they get brittle with age and break easily.

P1054
December 12th, 2013, 05:44
I replace mine earlier this year. It was a fairly straightforward process and I managed to do it without removing the air filter housing, although I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you have really small hands. The link below describes the "normal" way to do it, especially pay attention to ttboosts suggestion to tie a wire (or string) to the c-clip when you go to reinstall it. I didn't the first time, dropped it into the bowels of the engine bay, and tripled my total repair time trying to fish the thing back out. All in all, it's a very simple and inexpensive fix and should solve your gauge problem..

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23267-coolant-temp-sensor?highlight=coolant+temp+sensor