PDA

View Full Version : I need YOUR infinite wisdom!! (please help lol)

Greyyork
December 1st, 2013, 18:41
Okay so it's time to order 4 new rotors and 4 new pads. I've been searching for a long ass time and have read every thread I could find. This is what I came up with for someone that isn't hitting up the track, and just terrorizes the local streets from time to time. Hawk Ceramic pads for no squeal, and better stopping power. (Everywhere I look at them at says W/O sensor, but the picture shows it with it) and for rotors I was thinking for the front zimmermann formula Z cross drilled and for the back Centric cross drilled. The only reason I was thinking that is because centric is so expensive and I can't find anywhere that sells rear zimmermanns. Is it bad to mismatch rotors like that? Should I just invest the extra 100 dollars per rotor to have all four centric? As a final note can anyone tell me if the Hawk ceramics actually come with the sensor or what? I really don't want to jimmy something up to trick the sensor. I appreciate all the input, I know it's been covered a thousand times now. I'm ready to buy tonight...just waiting on the last confirmation of the legendary RS6 gurus!

MaxRS6
December 1st, 2013, 19:57
I ordered the following rear rotors from German Autoparts. When they came in, they were Zimmermans. I still have them on the shelf and have not yet installed. You might contact them if you want the Zimmers for the rear.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Audi/RS6/Brake/74/1

edit:

A thread with a pic of the rotors

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25294-Cheapest-price-on-OEM-rotors-right-now?highlight=rotors

http://i827.photobucket.com/albums/zz195/MaxRS6/PIC_1507_zps27793360.jpg

Greyyork
December 1st, 2013, 20:03
Wow those look pretty crazy. They are OEM specs? I appreciate the source.

LIRS6
December 1st, 2013, 20:29
I recently replaced my fronts with Zimmermans from German Auto Parts. I think they're a great alternative at the price, and I'm very pleased with them. Parts Geek is an alternate source for rotors, but I thought the customer service at GAP was terrific, and they price-matched as well.

lswing
December 1st, 2013, 20:53
Heard the Zimmerman's are non-floating and don't dissipate heat as well. Seems ok as long as you're not tracking much. All Hawk pads no sensor, just use a wire or clip to complete the circuit for the stock sensor. Setup should be solid!

Greyyork
December 1st, 2013, 21:30
Thanks for the info on Hawk..could anyone recommend anything else with a sensor then? I may hit the track once in my future but not avidly. I just need something OEM or better but less squeal and brake dust...

lswing
December 1st, 2013, 22:25
Thanks for the info on Hawk..could anyone recommend anything else with a sensor then? I may hit the track once in my future but not avidly. I just need something OEM or better but less squeal and brake dust...

There's no need for a sensor. The other preferred pad seems to be EBC Yellows. Even the sensor on stock pads sucks because the posts in the pad cut into your rotors. Also these aftermarket pads last much longer, just take a look at them every six months or so. I've been very happy with Hawk HPS for street and some sport. Hawk Ceramics next level up, but only if you're tracking I would think.

I will probably go with JHM rotors when needed, and try the EBC Yellows. Good pricing and you can keep the hats after first purchase increasing affordability...

JSRS6
December 2nd, 2013, 00:31
I have the hawk ceramics. Great pads all around for street use. They do have sensors. I found these "OE" rotors and ordered them, becoming the crash test dummy, as it were. Came in, inspected them. They are oem. Identical. Just like different companies overseas make apple products in different factories to the same spec. Also, our rotors aren't floating in that the outer ring doesn't move laterally to stay centered in the caliper.

MaxRS6
December 2nd, 2013, 01:21
+1- I have the Hawk Ceramics on the back and they r good (vedy happy with dem)

lswing
December 2nd, 2013, 01:50
Hawk Ceramics, glad to hear it, happy with the HPS for sure, thanks for clarifying.

On sale, might have to get the RS6 a present... http://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catalog/front-rotorspair-jhm-piece-lightweight-for-c5-rs6-p-485.html?cPath=21_66_68_227_253

bmlee007
December 2nd, 2013, 03:59
That sale at JHM could be dangerous for my wallet. Has anyone using their rotors actually gotten to the point of ordering the replacement ring yet?

I'm currently using EBC Reds, haven't had some of the issues that others have, but maybe I don't use them as hard as some other drivers. I will be changing to Hawk ceramics on the next pad change though, based on input from the collective.

hahnmgh63
December 2nd, 2013, 16:17
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2004/audi/rs6/brake/brake_rotor.html
And I also like the EBC Yellows but you've probably heard, stay away from the EBC Reds. The Yellows do have the sensor and plug.

Other_Erik
December 3rd, 2013, 13:37
Picked up hawk performance ceramic for ~$215 shipped on Amazon, came with the sensor :-)