PDA

View Full Version : RS6 full throttle acceleration with winter tires.

tgroeger
November 15th, 2003, 17:15
Anyone experiences with full throttle acceleration with winter tires on dry ground?
(18’’ 225/45 series)
Accelerating full with my RS6 means the ‘ESP’ downgrades the engine power dramatically,

so 0-100km/h are finished in ‘high’ 6 seconds.

Has anyone the same experiences?

eph94
November 15th, 2003, 22:04
I am not at all surprised with your findings. That's the trade-off with winter tires. When I had a 540i with Michelin Pilot Alpins, the traction control would significantly cut power to the wheels. If I turned off the traction control, I would spin the wheels and find myself shifting into 3rd gear while barely moving.

Have you tried full acceleration with the ESP off? I wonder if the quattro will help make up for some of the loss of grip with the winter tires. Even with the three-season tires, I always turn off the ESP when I know I will be stomping on the throttle (unless the ground is wet).

Johfra
November 16th, 2003, 16:24
I just received my set of rims and snow tires from Tire Rack this past week. I haven't put them on yet, it usually won't start snowing here until late December (I'm in Somerset County, New Jersey, USA).

The tires are 255/40VR-18 Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport. I know it will be about a month from now, but I will let you know how mine perform.

I just hit the 1100 mile mark on the engine and am just now punching it to feel the power. I have gotten the traction to come one while accelerating from a stop up a hill on semi-wet roads.

Erik
November 16th, 2003, 20:30
Hehe, just spoke to a friend who put his winter tires on his E55 AMG.

"My car died" he cried. :vsad:

The ESP is on up to 200 km/h. :error:

Johfra
November 16th, 2003, 21:33
You gotta love that Quattro!:incar:

TaTaPiRaTa
November 17th, 2003, 16:24
Yes, Yes, Yes, but I don't think breaking is improved the same way as acceleration, so sometimes it's better not to be able to accelerate so quickly. ESP is a good warning sometimes....

oregonbob
November 17th, 2003, 16:47
I went with 255/40-18 Dunlop Winter Sport M3. No ESP problems so far, even in the rain. Can't say I've tried a full throttle launch though. Maybe max 75% full throttle launch is an approprite description.

Alex K
November 18th, 2003, 07:01
Hi,

Just received one of the first sets of Dunlop 255/35 R19 Y winter tires after a 2 month wait.
As far as full throttle launches go, no problem whatsoever (dry road, straight line acceleration). Haven´t tried yet under wet conditions or coming our of turns.

GmbHouse
November 21st, 2003, 00:04
tgroeger

It would be interesting to see your 0-100 results wth the ESP off. Conventional wisdom holds that the fastest standing-start times are achieved with some small amount of wheel spin (at least in 2wd cars - keeps the engine from bogging), which I can't get to happen with the summer tires, even with ESP off.

tgroeger
November 21st, 2003, 06:44
On a straight and flat street the car accelerates from 0 to 100km/h (0-105 tachometer;105km/h means real 100km/h / measured with mobile GPS plus stopwatch ) in 4.8s (brakíng start and ESP off)

sprint Blue
November 23rd, 2003, 01:07
I posted a review of the winter wheels/tires in the "sprint blue is awesome" thread. On full all out throttle accleration, the car is noticeably slower than it was with the P zeros with stock wheels.