PDA

View Full Version : Oh yea, Valve Cover gasket replacement time....

Kgnast
November 11th, 2013, 19:06
It's been leaking, minor, albeit, it is there on the passenger side... Yes, I have read several of the threads on this. WHAT A BITCH huh? Anyway, getting Victor Reinz gaskets. I used em on my 4.2 and they seemed fine, although I noticed then too that they seemed kinda thick, but it wasn't a problem.

Ok so question of the day, the valve cover bolts are TTY's and should only be used once.... does anyone have a good source for the bolts? I can get em from Audi at wholesale, but I was looking for other options as well.

I understand I should do the cam tensioners, and cam tensioner seals while in there....

Dmb408
November 11th, 2013, 21:45
It's hilarious that you posted this today because my valve covers are off as we speak because I didn't want to do flex the pipe out of the way to do the passenger side so I sent it in and they just called about the cam tensioners and if I wanted to do the harder to get at seal on the passenger side. I sucked it up and said yes.

Aronis
November 12th, 2013, 17:46
I had mine done at 130 k miles when I had a leaking IC replaced (along with timing belt, etc). My mechanic is outstanding and had no problem changing the gaskets without the "engine pull". The problem is the coolant pipe along the side of the engine on the passenger side. There are a few small bolts to loosen on the back also (emission control valve). I was considering a DIY at 90 k but just tightened the bolts and the leak was gone for another 40 k miles LOL....

Mike

135,000 miles, original owner, still makes me smile....

Dmb408
November 12th, 2013, 19:13
I was going to do the bolt tightening but opted to go the full route gasket replacement route. On the other thing you mentioned, do you know what you paid for new OEM intercoolers? We always talk about aftermarkets on here but never just getting new OEM ones.

lswing
November 12th, 2013, 19:41
I was going to do the bolt tightening but opted to go the full route gasket replacement route. On the other thing you mentioned, do you know what you paid for new OEM intercoolers? We always talk about aftermarkets on here but never just getting new OEM ones.

You don't buy new OEM ones because they will fail sooner or later. One person who got some OEM replacements did the preventative JB weld around the ends. Just ship your cores to Apikol, $1300 I believe for upgraded. I've got a set of cores for $250, barely leaking. You get better cooling and long life, perfect.

kevin
November 12th, 2013, 19:56
it's ok to reuse those bolts

nene
November 14th, 2013, 03:14
My passenger side is also the one that appears to leak. Small leak. Dealer wanted an engine pull, and opted to wait and figure out my next approach.

NSU RS6
November 14th, 2013, 03:25
it's ok to reuse those bolts

No shithth. What are these bolts. Like 3mm? Torqued to pinky on a 2" ratchet? No wonder they leak.

I need to know. My gaskets have been on deck for awhile. I just have had other cars to drive, so I have been putting it off.

NSU RS6
November 14th, 2013, 03:30
My passenger side is also the one that appears to leak. Small leak. Dealer wanted an engine pull, and opted to wait and figure out my next approach.

"Valve cover leak, so we will need to pull the engine".

Find a building roof or deer stand that oversees the Service Bay. There you will find some outofRS6practiced Audi mechanics looking for something to do.

At Audi dealer rate.

Oof. The vagaries of RS6 ownership.