PDA

View Full Version : ECU mod and warranty idea....thoughts?

Bauer
November 14th, 2003, 16:15
I was thinking about the problem of the ECU mod and the warranty issues associated with it yesterday and thought how do they get away with in the UK? Here are my thoughts about it......the extra cost for the APR ECU mod in the UK is for and extra warranty to cover any problems. Why cant that be done with a outside warranty company in the US? Has anyone looked at the paperwork for warranties provided by third party vendors? If they don't state that they won't cover a modified car then we should be covered....right? So if that is the case, why not go out get the car modified and buy a warranty from a third party vendor for repairs that you dealer would not cover on a modified car? Has anyone tried this and looked at the paperwork? It would seem like a possiably good solution to the problem. Thoughts......:cheers:

rs6w
November 15th, 2003, 05:55
I'm not convinced that they DO get away with it anywhere else. For starters the warranty period anywhere outside of the US seems to be only about 2 years anyway.

I was looking over an extended warranty package and it specifically states that they won't cover any thing if it's not approved by the manufacturer of the vehicle.

I don't think any extended warranty company would even touch a modded car. It would be not be a profitable adventure for them.