PDA

View Full Version : New S4 vs. M3 E46 - Autocar scan

Erik
December 10th, 2002, 18:29
S4: "Muscular all-round sports-saloon, but with less thrilling responses"
M3: "Still the guv'nor; a purer sporting drive but less secure than S4"

Follow link for full scan...

New S4 vs. M3 (http://www.thecarfanatics.com/hosting/s4vsm3.html)

zonek
December 10th, 2002, 21:29
hehe very interesting article... just waiting for some more figures to see what this V8 is hidding!:alig:

Erik
December 11th, 2002, 12:09
I read it now and I recommend others to do the same.
Very interesting, it seems quite close to M3 E46 which is good news since it's what many people consider the best thing around.
The new RS4 will be quite a match for the M3. :rs4addict

Nrn
December 11th, 2002, 20:02
I had to read aswell and I have to agree, the new S4 seems better then i first expected it to be!
I must say I was at first dissapionted when I realised that the engine was N/A. :eek:

But now im getting quite used to the thought, Id love to have one and stick a compressor on it and then bye bye M3 :byeM5:

BR /Nicke

Gabriel343
December 11th, 2002, 22:07
3200 6L 343 cv
4200 V8 344 cv

Allsops
December 13th, 2002, 11:39
The new S4 will be a tuning beast. MTM is working on a supercharger kit that will be available upon release of the new S4. Also, there'll be kits available to tune it to well over 400hp... while keeping it Normally Aspirated! Sweeeeeeet....

Erik
December 13th, 2002, 11:43
That sounds very interesting, because in some (many?) EU-countries the TUV certificate :deal: is worth nothing.

In Sweden for instance, mounting a compressor would be forbidden - but you could always count on luck :hihi: in the yearly inspections. Or outrun the Police if they try to stop you :bye:

Gabriel343
December 13th, 2002, 15:49
Originally posted by Allsops
The new S4 will be a tuning beast. MTM is working on a supercharger kit that will be available upon release of the new S4. Also, there'll be kits available to tune it to well over 400hp... while keeping it Normally Aspirated! Sweeeeeeet....
MVR M3 Kompressor 530 cv 330 km/h;)

Erik
December 13th, 2002, 16:25
Originally posted by Allsops
Also, there'll be kits available to tune it to well over 400hp... while keeping it Normally Aspirated! Sweeeeeeet....

1) Allsops, 400 bhp with n/a? Are you sure? How? :confused:
Seems a little too much in my opinion. I mean, why are there no such kits already available for the S6 or S8 (without compressor)?

When I visited MTM this summer they said they would probably offer a very similar compressor to the new S4 V8 as they did for the S6/S8 and that's pretty far away in performance from what your saying.

2) Gabriel343, do you have more on that MVR M3 Kompressor 530 hp? Seems way too much...
A webpage?

Gabriel343
December 13th, 2002, 17:31
Originally posted by Erik B

Seems a little too much in my opinion. I mean, why are there no such kits already available for the S6 or S8 (without compressor)?

When I visited MTM this summer they said they would probably offer a very similar compressor to the new S4 V8 as they did for the S6/S8 and that's pretty far away in performance from what your saying.

2) Gabriel343, do you have more on that MVR M3 Kompressor 530 hp? Seems way too much...
A webpage?
No, i have read on Autosupermarket:(

Allsops
December 13th, 2002, 23:40
Originally posted by Erik B

jmf32 on Audiworld told me about it. An ALMS driver has a shop in which he's workin on parts for both the new Porsche V8 as well as Audi's 4.2 V8. His guinnea pig for the 4.2 is a tip S6 - he's gotten it up to about 430hp while still normally aspirated. :roll:

Klint
July 9th, 2003, 01:45
The Link's stopped working.

But I have a copy of an Autocar article in Jpeg form x 2, if anyone is willing to host it?

It's a pheonix yellow M3 vs Misano Red (?) S4 saloon article.

If anyone's interested in seeing it and/or hosting it, don't be afraid to show your interest. ;)

:cheers:

Qship
July 9th, 2003, 02:26
I didn't get to see it. Can someone else host it?

While I've more or less sworn off the tuning bug (yeah right :devil: ). I can see myself trying to get somemore low end out of the S4. And I'll probably do some chassis and suspension tuning to try to cancel out some of the inherent understeer of teh AWD system.

Thanks.

Klint
July 9th, 2003, 02:32
Sure. Now it's just finding someone who'll host them.

They're of todays autocar magazine and are two Jpeg files about 500kb each.

Anyone?

Allsops
July 9th, 2003, 06:45
You can check em out here

Clickity Click Click (http://forums.audiworld.com/s4b6/msgs/13052.phtml)

Snow
July 9th, 2003, 21:28
Great! Was a bit worried there for a while that I wouldn't get a chance to read the test, or at least a similar test. Hopefully it stays on that server because I haven't got any time now.
Thanks anyway!

Klint
July 9th, 2003, 21:31
Originally posted by Snow
Great! Was a bit worried there for a while that I wouldn't get a chance to read the test, or at least a similar test. Hopefully it stays on that server because I haven't got any time now.
Thanks anyway!

Not to worry. It's made itself everywhere, so if you really need to I can send you a copy through email. ;)

And yeah, that's the article I got a copy off. Funny how things travel so quickly through the net. :mouthshut