PDA

View Full Version : 1st post hoping/Praying for some help! RS6 cluster all messed up

N_Stamp
November 2nd, 2013, 15:43
So yesterday I was driving my car all day no problems. Then I pulled into the grocery store when I came back and put the key back into the car it started beeping from the cluster, the immobilizer light started flashing, the esp light was on, the abs light was on, the VDP display when completely blank just lit up and would flash all different signals and the mileage said the words fuse in the box above my current mileage. The car starts for a second then dies......... Any help would be appreciated. The car is a 2003 RS6 with 63,495 miles this was Kevins Manual build. It has the MMI navigation and everything ran perfect Jason from AMD had just flashed the ecu. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you all!

MaxRS6
November 2nd, 2013, 17:14
Vagcom and scan for codes.

You might try a hillbilly reset- Undo the battery for 5 minutes and let everything try to reset. Less than .03 worth

bmlee007
November 2nd, 2013, 18:03
Turn the key to accessory position and take a look at the voltage. Does it read 12v, or is the red battery light on? Make sure everything is off, stereo, climate control, interior light switch, etc. If voltage is low, your alternator may have died while you were driving and just decided that the grocery store was the end of the road.

As the proverbial saying goes, ask me how I know.

N_Stamp
November 2nd, 2013, 22:28
The voltage seems to be fine, if the alternator was bad would it allow the car to start for a second then shut off followed by gauge cluster acting crazy?

G2
November 3rd, 2013, 00:45
The voltage seems to be fine, if the alternator was bad would it allow the car to start for a second then shut off followed by gauge cluster acting crazy?

It might. Most cars will start because the circuitry temporarily bypasses the ECU when key is in "start" position. Low battery voltage will cause unpredictable results....in any car.

G2
November 3rd, 2013, 01:42
To address a prior comment: With key "on" (KOEO) all cars will illuminate the battery icon. It should turn off when the engine is running. If not the alternator isn't working.

Ever wonder why it's called an 'alternator'? It creates A/C voltage that's rectified to DC by cutting off the bottom portion of the sine wave. If the recitifier degrades, A/C voltage will leak into the DC system. Not a good thing.......

N_Stamp
November 3rd, 2013, 02:20
I will talk to my guys and look into that. Last night they took apart the dash and went through every fuse possible due to the dash reading fuse. Alternator just might be the trick. Thanks for all the support!

10SecS4
November 3rd, 2013, 03:06
It's most likely the instrument cluster fuse and/or the instrument cluster itself. I'd also check the fusible links near the ECU box under the hood.

The instrument cluster has a module with the Immobilizer pin # stored in it just like the ECM so if you have a bad cluster or cluster fuse, the car will not start due to the immobilizer.

N_Stamp
November 3rd, 2013, 16:07
Praying I do not have to buy a new cluster! LOL

DHall1
November 3rd, 2013, 16:32
I have a cluster if it comes down to it and you need one.

N_Stamp
November 3rd, 2013, 16:37
How many miles are on it currently? and price?

N_Stamp
November 4th, 2013, 18:37
IT IS THE CLUSTER!!!!! Time for a new one.

DHall1
November 4th, 2013, 22:41
Der cluster is on the way. Should have it in your hot little hands tomorrow. Get that bad boy back on the road.

IT IS THE CLUSTER!!!!! Time for a new one.

10SecS4
November 5th, 2013, 00:32
Keep in mind that the cluster will not be plug and play since the cluster's EEPROM will now have a mismatched immo PIN. The new cluster will result in the same symptom as before (engine will start for a second and then die with the Immo light flashing).

Der cluster is on the way. Should have it in your hot little hands tomorrow. Get that bad boy back on the road.

N_Stamp
November 5th, 2013, 02:01
Luckily its good to have an Audi stealership tech friend who is down for some recoding!