PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Audi RS6, Twin Turbo V8, 6SPD MANUAL - $25000 (Fairfield County, CT)

1sadavant
October 24th, 2013, 03:38
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/cto/4138499344.html

Not affiliated, just passing it along.

kmartens
October 24th, 2013, 03:44
looks like ttboost car! (assuming it is)

ttboost
October 25th, 2013, 01:01
Yeah...looks identical...it's gone...:hey:

DHall1
October 25th, 2013, 01:18
Got to love Craigslist

kevin
October 25th, 2013, 01:43
Congrats on sale!! CL works.

ttboost
October 25th, 2013, 02:52
It does get out to the masses, but I hate it...more spam and crap email....for every 1 legitimate email, you get 5-10 spammers.

Gave it to a local guy...he wanted it as a DD. After he drove it, he had to have it. Gonna miss it... CL Ad should be done tomorrow...so this thread will be dead...

Turbowned
October 25th, 2013, 14:52
Aww, crap!!! Well, that's the way it goes. I guess I hafta buy an AT car and do the swap :-/

lswing
October 25th, 2013, 15:10
Aww, crap!!! Well, that's the way it goes. I guess I hafta buy an AT car and do the swap :-/

I'd wait a while, let someone else do it, these guys each lost $5-10k doing the swap...personally I love having the paddle shifting, even though it's a bit mucky, no clutch pedal ftw!

kevin
October 25th, 2013, 15:16
I'd wait a while, let someone else do it, these guys each lost $5-10k doing the swap...personally I love having the paddle shifting, even though it's a bit mucky, no clutch pedal ftw!
Mind explaining how we lost $5-10k please?

lswing
October 25th, 2013, 15:23
Mind explaining how we lost $5-10k please?

You maybe not as much, but adding in labor and parts your around $10k right. Resale boosted by $3-5k? I knew that would get good feedback:)

Just seems like a lot of work/cost to then turn over, maybe for $5k more than a slush box...

Turbowned
October 25th, 2013, 15:36
I could maybe live without a clutch pedal, maybe. What concerns me is when I inevitably modify the car for more power and torque, the 5AT won't take kindly to it. Heck, they don't seem to take kindly to stock power output from what I'm reading about people having their torque converters and trannys changed multiple times.

kevin
October 25th, 2013, 15:53
You maybe not as much, but adding in labor and parts your around $10k right. Resale boosted by $3-5k? I knew that would get good feedback:)

Just seems like a lot of work/cost to then turn over, maybe for $5k more than a slush box... I tried selling my car a year ago with a bad trans and couldn't get $22k for it. Ok, decided to keep it and do the trans swap. Out of pocket cost was $6000. I don't consider my labor into the equation because of the experience I gained. Plus it was fun. Now that I have this experience I'm ready to offer my services for other clients that wish to have this conversion done. (there is a fellow in MN that is mulling this over right now) BTW, I got $27500 for my car.

Bigglezworth
October 25th, 2013, 16:08

Just seems like a lot of work/cost to then turn over, maybe for $5k more than a slush box...A car with a bad trans doesn't sell worth anything remotely close to a 'reasonable' price. I have two RS6's. The one with the 'low mileage' has been sitting for 6 months while I look to swap the tranny. Can't sell broken cars to the general public. The most I could sell it to a wrencher for $13-15K max. Everyone well know's it's a nominal 5-7K to correct a broken trans depending on the parts you use and your experience at auto repairs vs. hiring that service out. I'd put the work in to the tranny every day of the week and twice on Sunday to get a 'reasonable' price for the sale vs. liquidating to an opportunistic buyer. I highly suspect your tone might change should you be faced with a broken back on your ride.

SteveKen
October 25th, 2013, 19:43

Just seems like a lot of work/cost to then turn over, maybe for $5k more than a slush box...

If you bring the car to me, I'll do the entire conversion for $8k, out the door.

lswing
October 25th, 2013, 19:55
If you bring the car to me, I'll do the entire conversion for $8k, out the door.

Now that's a great deal! Guessing someone will ship you one soon, it's cool that you've got it down.

I was figuring that you never get much back on what's spent on the car, but I do see how this could help a sale. Hoping for another 100k out of this slush box...I do like all the smooth shifts cruising around town, not so much in the country corners.

DHall1
October 25th, 2013, 19:58
Looks like this thread has some legs.

SteveK FTW!

I like it. Pay Tozo 5k or Steve 8k if you wish to row.

SteveKen
October 25th, 2013, 20:01
The caveat here is that a lot of options can increase this.

Timing belt service, oil change, complete trans rebuild, custom gearing and fixing or modifying whatever needs to be fixed or modified when the engine is dropped.

The last one I did had a severe water leak due to a failed aux water pump.

ttboost
October 25th, 2013, 20:03

Resale boosted? nah, I don't think so. You do your own swap because you want to. You're not charging yourself labor. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would pay someone $10-$15k to mod a $18-$20k car and expect to get any of that money back. Right buyer, sure, it could happen. The 6 speed swap is a mod. As a general rule, you don't get your money back on the mods. Did you make it a better car, sure, but not really worth much more money. I think Kevin got all the money for his car because it was a clean, low mileage car, with carbon, RNS-E etc...I think he woulda got that money anyway. I lost money because the value of the car fell since I bought it, and of course the $4k I put into mods. I never expected to make money..I did it for the fun. I was asking $23-$25k for my car..Guy handed me $20k cash.
I'm sure Steve didn't hit the lottery on his manual car either. My car has 90k and has some body blemishes, a scratch here and there. Good deal for both of us. As Steve says, I can do another one in half the time...

SteveKen
October 25th, 2013, 20:10
That 8K also includes a Stg 1 tune, too.

lswing
October 25th, 2013, 20:12
Well it looks like kicking at the hornets nest paid off this time, good info fellas!

ttboost
October 25th, 2013, 20:18
The ONLY variables to this project, are where you source your A6 parts (how much they charge for the parts), and the amount of time to do it. $5-$6k for parts is reasonable (including Steves parts) and $2-$3k to do it...very fair. AGAIN, if you are paying someone to do it for the fun of it, not really worth it, if you are doing it to keep your car, well worth the aggravation and... ahem..."investment". the vcar is WAY more fun to drive and WAY faster....

lswing
October 25th, 2013, 20:30
Sounds about right, auto and paddles all the way for me, more power wouldn't hurt but she does ok...also enjoy the smooth luxury of seamless shifting when wanted.

I was more thinking for the fella looking at buying a rs6 with a slush, then swapping down the road, gonna cost a good chunk of change. He should buy one with failed/failing trans at the right price and just ship it to SK right away, perfect way to get into a 6-speed for low 20's.

Turbowned
October 25th, 2013, 21:01
I found a salvage company in Mass parting out an A6 with 50k on it. How much you guys think I should pay for all the swap parts? Unless I get lucky enough to find another converted car, I'll most likely be doing this in the future.

kevin
October 25th, 2013, 22:24
Assuming this donor car has an 01E in it. If so, you must make sure it has a 4:11.1 final drive ratio and harvest parts!

ttboost
October 26th, 2013, 00:45
I think all A6, 2.7t's, with manual, have the 4:11 diff.

10SecS4
October 28th, 2013, 02:47
If anyone needs a cheap A6 2.7T 6-speed donor car, PM me. I have one that I'll be selling soon.

Jimmy
October 28th, 2013, 11:33
Jebus...I would have handed you 21K cash Mike if that is what it took ! Anyway, your swap was the nicest I've seen (seen 2 others). That buyer scored BIG TIME ! Hey, next time you goto Lebanon LMK, I want to run this CLK63 I just got against your V12TT...for some laughs.

speedtrapped
October 29th, 2013, 23:23
Mike what are you picking up next? I miss my Audi.

ttboost
October 29th, 2013, 23:29
Hey Stephen..how goes it? Yeah, I will miss it. Enjoying the Benz for now. 997 Turbo next, but not for a while...

speedtrapped
October 29th, 2013, 23:33
Benz... Beastly... I had a speedriven tune on my CL 55, it was a monster, but got hosed when I sold it, or shall I say I paid $5k more then I should. I am staying away from P cars for a longhggg time. Been thinking S7. Things are great. Love ATL, I miss beach, but that's it .... So happy to be out of the tax machine called NJ.

DHall1
October 29th, 2013, 23:48
Did someone say sex machine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ajzpd-ONOdo

Benz... Beastly... I had a speedriven tune on my CL 55, it was a monster, but got hosed when I sold it, or shall I say I paid $5k more then I should. I am staying away from P cars for a longhggg time. Been thinking S7. Things are great. Love ATL, I miss beach, but that's it .... So happy to be out of the tax machine called NJ.

DHall1
October 29th, 2013, 23:50
Oh crap,

Tax machine.....we're headed to Nashville/Franklin area for this exact reason. Instead of high overhead I want no overhead. Zero state income tax and very low property taxes. Doh

How the heck are ya Stephen?

ttboost
October 30th, 2013, 00:22
Yeah we're considering bailing...CT aint cheap either...

speedtrapped
October 30th, 2013, 02:10
Hey Dave! Nashville is nice! I'm doing well. Yes, I got same quality house and property in excellent school systems for 50% of cost, and 1/3 rd property tax. Come on down Mike.

Turbowned
October 30th, 2013, 17:37
Heh, that's funny, I'm thinking of getting outta Taxachusetts and going to AZ soon. As nice as New England is, it's a political/economic nightmare.

lswing
October 30th, 2013, 20:56
Heh, that's funny, I'm thinking of getting outta Taxachusetts and going to AZ soon. As nice as New England is, it's a political/economic nightmare.

Dhall has some info for you...he's been railing about AZ for months:)

Voting is the best way, but sometimes having the masses get their way isn't the best. I mean I love democracy, but if 2/3rds are brainwashed and stupid they get to decide my way of life, grrrrr, better than the alternatives I suppose....

DHall1
October 30th, 2013, 21:43
All depends on frame of reference.

Oregon income and prop tax was 2x higher than Arizona.
Tenn is 1/2 of Arizona on prop and zero income.

I choose the TN 0 state income tax and very low property tax moving forward.

Just don't come to AZ thinking its a tax haven. New vehicle plate fees and sales tax are highest in the country. Property tax is very high as well. I don't even want to talk about the border and how dangerous the roads are.

Now, we still own a modest home in Oregon because once we retire there is a chance we may go back. I love the area and retirement income is not taxed the same and our income levels will drop. That is when the zero sales tax and low cost to plate vehicles and good roads will come into play. I purchased all our $$ vehicles and diesel pusher motorhome while in Oregon. $$$ zero sales tax.

Dhall has some info for you...he's been railing about AZ for months:)

Voting is the best way, but sometimes having the masses get their way isn't the best. I mean I love democracy, but if 2/3rds are brainwashed and stupid they get to decide my way of life, grrrrr, better than the alternatives I suppose....

Bigglezworth
October 30th, 2013, 21:51
The Canadian in the crowd is shaking his head at everyone complaining about being over taxed.... You guy's aren't even remotely closed to being taxed as much as your friends north of the border. An we aren't taxed as much as some across the pond.

DHall1
October 30th, 2013, 22:27
Clearly raw cash numbers differ but the frame of reference is not the same. You have your Canada wages that account for the higher cost of living or cost of goods and ditto for the EU. Here in the US the taxes come from many forms and directions. It all adds up...

Federal 28%
State 12%
Sales 9.5%
Lic plates 2%
Prop tax 4%
Health insurance 7%

You get the idea. Buy the time you pay for all this crap....there is just not many % left in the pocket. We are all talking and making decisions on what US State we choose to live in. I make the choice to better plan for retirement and leaving more money in my pockets. We still have that choice and can move from state to state for now.

The Canadian in the crowd is shaking his head at everyone complaining about being over taxed.... You guy's aren't even remotely closed to being taxed as much as your friends north of the border. An we aren't taxed as much as some across the pond.

Bigglezworth
October 30th, 2013, 23:02
Federal, provincial& municipal taxes all solid arguements, but you're missing the meat and potatoes where a host of tax is hidden. Tax on groceries, massive tax on gas, massive tax on liquor and cigarettes, tax on medical and dental services, the list goes on.

What is the date in which a US citizen is expected to have completed paying their tax for the year and are finally able to enjoy the remains for themself? It's near the end of June in Canada.

DHall1
October 30th, 2013, 23:08
We have those same taxes on gas, groceries, cigs and liq.

Im sure there is a web link to calc that date for the US. We need to pick a household income level of say 200k/yr USD.

An example of how dramatic the tax burden differ between US states.

Oregon plate fees on the RS6 4 years ago. $20/yr
Arizona plate fees on the RS6 4 years ago. $860/yr

Oregon sales tax on the RS6 purchase new. 0
Arizona sales tax on the RS6 purchase new. $8550 dollars.

And now for the bell ringer.

Tenn is the lowest in the country. Tax burden is paid by March 31st.

I cant wait to get there. So long suckers.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/04/03/tax-freedom-day-april-17-wages/

Now, this is only Federal, state and local. The other "taxes" we are hit with still hammer us daily.

Federal, provincial& municipal taxes all solid arguements, but you're missing the meat and potatoes where a host of tax is hidden. Tax on groceries, massive tax on gas, massive tax on liquor and cigarettes, tax on medical and dental services, the list goes on.

What is the date in which a US citizen is expected to have completed paying their tax for the year and are finally able to enjoy the remains for themself? It's near the end of June in Canada.

Jimmy
October 31st, 2013, 13:32
Dave, make sure you buy some super large denim overalls and white wife beater shirts...so ya' fit right in. j/k TN is OK, had a girl in Franklin for a bit...the folks are super nice and the roads are long, straight and flat.

ttboost
November 1st, 2013, 00:40
I have a lawyer friend on Knoxville if you ever need some help...

DHall1
November 1st, 2013, 02:59
Does he wear denim overalls to work?

Guess I will be in trouble if my wife comes home from Dillards with denim overalls in her size. Doh

I have a lawyer friend on Knoxville if you ever need some help...

DHall1
November 1st, 2013, 03:06
Thanks for that tip! From all accounts the local Franklin economy is rock solid and yep the people seem like real folks. I dont think hospital systems are going out of business any time soon. They may run Sebilius out on her broom but the monopolies are here to stay.

Lite winters should be fine...I have 3 quattros and a supercharged LX470.

Dave, make sure you buy some super large denim overalls and white wife beater shirts...so ya' fit right in. j/k TN is OK, had a girl in Franklin for a bit...the folks are super nice and the roads are long, straight and flat.

kismetcapitan
November 3rd, 2013, 23:01
Middle TN is anything but flat and straight! One doesn't have to go very far to find exciting roads. I mostly ride my bike, and for sport bikers, it's about as good as it gets around these parts. I'm about to move out of downtown, and the prices for 4000-5000sqft houses are stupid cheap, compared to nearly everywhere I've lived in my life previously. Big thumbs up for that.

Anyone here active in the Nashville Audi Club? I haven't been to a meeting in awhile, and was too busy to go to the ACNA Nationals last month~

ttboost
November 4th, 2013, 01:08
Does he wear denim overalls to work?

Guess I will be in trouble if my wife comes home from Dillards with denim overalls in her size. Doh

NO, but I have seen him wear a white pinstriped suit...