PDA

View Full Version : Need recommendations for a softer ride

Beardown1
October 5th, 2013, 21:24
Hey all. I am new to these boards as I have recently taken delivery of my -new 2 me- RS6. Been lurking for awhile and am thankful for all of the great info that is available. Does anyone have replacement suggestions for the DRC that would result in a very soft ride? I have 19" rims so I know it will be somewhat harsher than 18's. This is my DD and I have a BMW M Roadster if I want sharp handling so looking for more comfort in the RS6. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

lswing
October 5th, 2013, 23:06
Softer, hmm, DRC is soft, unless yours is over pressurized. Mine was so soft car was dangerous to drive. Very happy with the stock springs and koni yellow struts. I would worry about handling safety issues if you were to try and find a softer spring or strut than that. Try the Koni's, $700 plus install.

You need to ditch the 19s, big difference...

DHall1
October 6th, 2013, 07:33
Properly filled DRC is very firm.

Soft DRC has lost pressure and dangerous to drive.

Properly set KW V3 /old version/ is more comfortable than a properly filled DRC.

Softer, hmm, DRC is soft, unless yours is over pressurized. Mine was so soft car was dangerous to drive. Very happy with the stock springs and koni yellow struts. I would worry about handling safety issues if you were to try and find a softer spring or strut than that. Try the Koni's, $700 plus install.

You need to ditch the 19s, big difference...

Bigglezworth
October 6th, 2013, 17:07
Hey all. I am new to these boards as I have recently taken delivery of my -new 2 me- RS6. Been lurking for awhile and am thankful for all of the great info that is available. Does anyone have replacement suggestions for the DRC that would result in a very soft ride? I have 19" rims so I know it will be somewhat harsher than 18's. This is my DD and I have a BMW M Roadster if I want sharp handling so looking for more comfort in the RS6. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!If you wanted a 'soft' ride, you souldn't have purchased a performance sedan. Just saying.

Softer, hmm, DRC is soft, unless yours is over pressurized.I tracked my RS6 with DRC and aftermarket sways. DRC is not soft. IMO it is a great balance between an aftermarket coilover package that many profess love for and sponge of an A6/S6 set-up. Comes down to ass preference.

You need to ditch the 19s, big difference...This will indeed provide some improvement, but will not make your ride 'soft'.

Beardown1
October 6th, 2013, 19:21
Thanks for the replies. Biggs.....the RS6 IMHO is meant for straight line speed only. No matter what is done to it, there are many better choices if handling is what you are after. Don't get me wrong it's an awesome car and I love it (Quattro is perfect for winters where I live) but it's a "boat" and you will never find me on the back road twisties with it......other than to find another opportunity to punch it after coming out of a corner ever so slowly.

lswing
October 6th, 2013, 19:27
Go with the Koni yellows, and hotchkis sway bars make for a great increase in corner handling when needed. I also want the car to have a ride on the softer side, think you'll like them. Good ride height and price.

mrdave
October 6th, 2013, 19:34
You could try Koni FSDs. http://www.koni-na.com/fsd.cfm

Beardown1
October 6th, 2013, 19:36
Awesome......thanks lswing. I will check them out.....I have seen som DIY threads pop up on these, but will investigate further to see if I want to install myself.

Bigglezworth
October 6th, 2013, 19:39
Thanks for the replies. Biggs.....the RS6 IMHO is meant for straight line speed only. No matter what is done to it, there are many better choices if handling is what you are after. Don't get me wrong it's an awesome car and I love it (Quattro is perfect for winters where I live) but it's a "boat" and you will never find me on the back road twisties with it......other than to find another opportunity to punch it after coming out of a corner ever so slowly.Didn't imply it was suited more suited for autocross vs. autobahn. Merely stated that with a decent set of sways, the car performs decent with an OEM DRC system vs. what others have stated as being 'soft'. While I have numerous rides suited for various styles of driving, when you have your family with you and driving through the mountains on a weekend getaway, you are driving the RS6 vs. a two seater convertible - and yes - it does matter how well it handles in the twisties. As mentioned above, the Koni's will provide softer ride compared to OEM DRC set-up so would concur having a look at that route.