PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt-go by mileage or by years?

Jaquarda
October 2nd, 2013, 17:54
While at the dealership this morning for my IC hose, the S.A. saw that my last major service, which was the 35K which included the timing belt was done December 2007 and that I should consider getting the next major service done now since it's been 6 years. My question is, the manufacturer schedule calls for the next major service at 75K. My car has 65K on it. Do I go by the mileage, or is there a time recommendation that should supercede the mileage?

alrightroad
October 2nd, 2013, 19:06
Both. About every 35K and/or 3 years for belt kit service, whichever come first, good rule of thumb. This of coure can be stretched out with no real damage.

lswing
October 2nd, 2013, 20:26
Why would you have to go by year, unless I'm reading it wrong. I drive 5k a year, so timing belt (and associated parts/seals/pulleys) every 6-7 years I figure?

Jaquarda
October 2nd, 2013, 20:37
Why would you have to go by year, unless I'm reading it wrong. I drive 5k a year, so timing belt (and associated parts/seals/pulleys) every 6-7 years I figure?

They're saying that the parts age even without the miles due to just sitting there over time. Rubber does get old and dried out. I can see this logic with tires, but I'm not sure about these belts?

October 3rd, 2013, 02:05
Let it run....you'll need a new trans long before the timing belt fails.....Google "RS6 Timing belt failure".....then Google "RS6 Transmission failure"....

lswing
October 3rd, 2013, 02:18
Let it run....you'll need a new trans long before the timing belt fails.....Google "RS6 Timing belt failure".....then Google "RS6 Transmission failure"....

I'm hoping to do 2-3 belt changes before my trans fails, one can hope!

DHall1
October 3rd, 2013, 15:08
Start planning for it.

Buy the oem parts from genuineaudi

Its not the belt that fails

Do all pulleys and oem water pump at this service. And Tstat.

They're saying that the parts age even without the miles due to just sitting there over time. Rubber does get old and dried out. I can see this logic with tires, but I'm not sure about these belts?

ttboost
October 4th, 2013, 01:27
If I still own my car, which I hope I don't, I will do many, many, many timing belts before I do another transmission...

October 4th, 2013, 02:08
Start planning for it.

Buy the oem parts from genuineaudi

++ genuineaudi has been great....bought a lot of my parts there and have always been happy :)

And the timing belt is a half day job at best....4 more bolts than an A6 4.2.....

Avus-RS6
October 4th, 2013, 02:51
If I still own my car, which I hope I don't, I will do many, many, many timing belts before I do another transmission...

Clutches on the other hand...

kevin
October 4th, 2013, 03:26
Clutches on the other hand...
True dat....

G2
October 4th, 2013, 06:42
Most OEM's seem to recommend 7years max on a t-belt, mostly based on mileage of 15K a year- but can vary on older models. I've seen many go 10-13yrs depending on the car. Some have failed at that point, too. Age certainly matters from my experience.

I'm doing a full t-belt service (and more) on an S6 tomorrow. Only because the the last shop either didn't replace the tensioner unit, or it went bad. Replace everything including cam/crank seals -- then enjoy your car w/o worry.

BTW- Gates makes a high strength racing t-belt. A good choice for the RS6 which tends to stay heat soaked for hours after shutdown.

kilian tuning
October 4th, 2013, 07:25
Most OEM's seem to recommend 7years max on a t-belt, mostly based on mileage of 15K a year- but can vary on older models. I've seen many go 10-13yrs depending on the car. Some have failed at that point, too. Age certainly matters from my experience.

I'm doing a full t-belt service (and more) on an S6 tomorrow. Only because the the last shop either didn't replace the tensioner unit, or it went bad. Replace everything including cam/crank seals -- then enjoy your car w/o worry.

BTW- Gates makes a high strength racing t-belt. A good choice for the RS6 which tends to stay heat soaked for hours after shutdown.
...Do you have a link to the Gates racing belt? i can find Gates belts, but not the race version for rs6c5...

DHall1
October 4th, 2013, 08:25
At 32k and over 6yrs old. My OE belt looked and felt new.

Its those upper roller pulleys that were starting to feel dry. The little ones.

I replaced everything and tensioner with OE.

It will take another 6yrs for #1 and I plan to do everything and waterpump at 70k.

G2
October 4th, 2013, 20:11
I'll have to see where I got the high strength belt from, it was awhile ago.

Yes, those pesky little upper guide pulleys- no sir, don't like them one bit. They tend to both dry out and become a bit rough and rattle. We know what will happen if they drag or stop rotating...

I've been known to regrease pulleys as most OE lubes are nothing special (and normally don't pack much grease in). Always used Amsoil synthetic grease, never an issue over the years. Even on old pulleys on other types of cars (not by choice, however).

With that said, wouldn't do it on the Audi upper roller pulley, at least with a used one- due to bearing wear (even if R&R of the seals was correctly done). I was kicking around the idea of upgrading the pulley bearings to something more industrial (guess those younger years of skate boarding and bicycle racing taught me a few things).

With that said-- would there be any takers on upgraded pulleys? Obviously cost is a consideration, but high grade bearings are not cheap...

hahnmgh63
October 4th, 2013, 23:09
T297RB is the Blue Gates Belt. I used one when I did my timing belt job. The Belt isn't the weak point normally but why not upgrade when you can. I may even just pull the front cover some time and replace the two small rollers, why not.

DHall1
October 5th, 2013, 01:12
Yep, not a bad idea. I was shocked when I felt mine at 32k. Which is why I now always lift the hood and direct a fan at the front of the car every time its driven for a long distance. Every time...at work its under the garage and I have a fan....at home its in the a/c shop or front garage with the hood up and fan blowing.
T297RB is the Blue Gates Belt. I used one when I did my timing belt job. The Belt isn't the weak point normally but why not upgrade when you can. I may even just pull the front cover some time and replace the two small rollers, why not.

G2
October 5th, 2013, 19:32
I judge the pulleys by both feel and sound, using a stethoscope if necessary.

Nice cool down methods, and glad there's someone more OCD than I about it. My trick is to turn on the attic fan to remove warm air from the garage (with hood open). If outside there's enough breeze to cool it down, except in the hottest summer months.