PDA

View Full Version : RS6 on the Tail of the Dragon

kismetcapitan
September 19th, 2013, 07:21
I drove out to the Dragon for a weekend of tearing it up on my bike. But rather than ride there...I drove. Much more comfortable, and I got to run the Dragon in dry weather with my RS6 :D

StormFront
September 19th, 2013, 13:06
nice! i like the dragon but i enjoy some of the other roads around there better

DHall1
September 19th, 2013, 16:21
Franklin/SpringHill here we come.

How far a drive is it to the Dragon?

I drove out to the Dragon for a weekend of tearing it up on my bike. But rather than ride there...I drove. Much more comfortable, and I got to run the Dragon in dry weather with my RS6 :D

as350
September 19th, 2013, 17:21
Nice shot. Running TOTD can be lots of fun. There are some roads in that area that are even better. I drove "Little Switzerland" off the Blue Ridge Parkway a few years ago and it had less traffic and better corners.

kismetcapitan
September 19th, 2013, 17:48
Franklin/SpringHill here we come.

How far a drive is it to the Dragon?

3-4 hours, depending on route and how fast you go. Everything gets twisty over on the East side, including I-40.

The Dragon is actually a bit too tight for a big sedan to tear things up on. Also, with the bike traffic, I'd be hesitant to try and push things. Some asshat in a Toyota FR-S decided he was going to play Tokyo Drift Boy and nearly took out a couple riders in my group with the most uncontrolled drift ever.

The less twisty stuff like the Moonshiner 28 and the Cherohala Skyway are more suited to spirited driving; just be awake when there's a sign pointing out an upcoming turn...it's there for a GOOD reason!

StormFront
September 20th, 2013, 02:01
The less twisty stuff like the Moonshiner 28 and the Cherohala Skyway are more suited to spirited driving; just be awake when there's a sign pointing out an upcoming turn...it's there for a GOOD reason!

Those are the roads I prefer^ :)

alrightroad
September 20th, 2013, 02:10
Wayah road!

jtmdmd1
September 20th, 2013, 15:08
Glad you got to do the Dragon in the dry.

Wayah Rd is great in the mountain section as are 276 between Waynesville & BRP; Tilley Rd/Ellijay/ - Little Ellijay- Walnut Creek between Cullowee & 28 going from Franklin toward Highlands was really good. 28 was good between Franklin & 74. TOD was very tight but fun. You can get going too fast on Cherohala & 28 so you do have to watch out for turn signs- you spend most of the time on TOD accelerating, braking , & turning lock to lock- most of the time doing two of the three at once.

Hopefully I'll get back up there this fall to see my son in Clyde & do some driving. We went up in July but took Yukon XL, so no fun

StormFront
September 20th, 2013, 17:37
Never been on Wayah Rd... Might have to soon... *goes to Google*

jtmdmd1
September 20th, 2013, 22:16
Never been on Wayah Rd... Might have to soon... *goes to Google*

Wayah goes from 74 close to Nantahala Outdoor Center (not too far from Robbinsville) to near Franklin & is great especially in the middle more mountainous area. There is a road that goes from 28 to Wayah (Otter Creek Rd/Tellico Rd) that looks like it would be really good too. Warwoman Rd in north GA past Highlands was good too. Its all fun though!

DHall1
September 20th, 2013, 22:21
I just looked at those sections on Google maps street view. Looks very fun.
Wayah goes from 74 close to Nantahala Outdoor Center (not too far from Robbinsville) to near Franklin & is great especially in the middle more mountainous area. There is a road that goes from 28 to Wayah (Otter Creek Rd/Tellico Rd) that looks like it would be really good too. Warwoman Rd in north GA past Highlands was good too. Its all fun though!

MrClean
September 21st, 2013, 13:56
Very cool, I like that photo. Killboy?

Your RS6 looks good coming out of the turn, hunkered down in a great stance.

It's been a couple years since I've been to the Dragon. I'd like to get back there again sometime soon.

StormFront
September 21st, 2013, 18:55

Yeah 28 is the way I used to go up to ZdayZ at Fontana Village. Pretty awesome road. Last year my front (and only) sway bar tried to liberate itself from my truck. Ended up taking it off at the Village and driving back without it after the event... I didn't notice much difference :\ Bought new brackets and bushings and put it back on. Bought a rear add-on sway bar later and found that it didn't work due to my exhaust not being factory (the upright on the passenger side was supposed to mount right above my turnouts). Doesn't matter though, the truck will never be fast, but it is a lot of fun to slide around up there on the twisties with it's safe to do so :)

kismetcapitan
September 22nd, 2013, 02:04
I stayed at Fontana Village but my friends were all at Deals Gap Resort, so I shuttled back and forth on the Moonshiner 28 all that weekend, mostly on my bike though. The roads there are intense with either two or four wheels though!

Yep that's a Killboy photo. Here's one of me on the Cherohala Skyway on my bike:

jtmdmd1
September 22nd, 2013, 18:22
I stayed at Fontana Village but my friends were all at Deals Gap Resort, so I shuttled back and forth on the Moonshiner 28 all that weekend, mostly on my bike though. The roads there are intense with either two or four wheels though!

Yep that's a Killboy photo. Here's one of me on the Cherohala Skyway on my bike:

We stayed at Fontana when we were there in March, nice & quiet. After driving 28 between there & TOD, I was wondering how TOD could be any better.

What day did you drive TOD? I was wanting to look at your pics on Killboy & 129 Photos. You car definitely has less body roll in the turns than mine!

lswing
September 23rd, 2013, 01:39
Using those pics for comparison...that's about how the Hotchkis sways make a difference. Can't believe I waited so long for such a nice handling upgrade. Nice pics and stories fellas, looks like fun!

jtmdmd1
September 23rd, 2013, 13:47
I definitely need to get the sways then.

MaxRS6
September 23rd, 2013, 15:04

Yes you do- and take that thing out on dat background track...I've heard it is fun..;0

MaxRS6
September 23rd, 2013, 15:05

Yes you do- and take that thing out on dat track...I've heard it is fun..;0

jtmdmd1
September 23rd, 2013, 18:07
Yes you do- and take that thing out on dat track...I've heard it is fun..;0

When are you coming back down to Barber?

MaxRS6
September 23rd, 2013, 23:56
^I'm considering Nov/13 with the Rezoom group if the stars align. It would be good to see you again if I make it out there.

Jimmy
September 24th, 2013, 15:49
Great shot ...your car sits perfectly !

kismetcapitan
September 30th, 2013, 09:13
We stayed at Fontana when we were there in March, nice & quiet. After driving 28 between there & TOD, I was wondering how TOD could be any better.

What day did you drive TOD? I was wanting to look at your pics on Killboy & 129 Photos. You car definitely has less body roll in the turns than mine!

September 7th and 8th. My car has Koni shocks, H&R springs, and Hotchkis sways. Doesn't really roll. It also is very jarring with any decent sized bump in the road! I recently had to drive my wife's car and felt like the wheels were completely disconnected from the car!

kismetcapitan
September 30th, 2013, 09:18
When are you coming back down to Barber?

I was at Barber just this past Friday..on my bike though. Rode down to hit the museum, then rode out to Tupelo and then the Natchez Trace back to Nashville.

Have you done track days at Barber? How does the RS6 do on that track? If there's a day y'all are going to to a track day, I'll definitely come down for that!

lswing
September 30th, 2013, 15:52
September 7th and 8th. My car has Koni shocks, H&R springs, and Hotchkis sways. Doesn't really roll. It also is very jarring with any decent sized bump in the road! I recently had to drive my wife's car and felt like the wheels were completely disconnected from the car!

Very nice, those springs will toughen it up for sure. Although sometimes I'd like better cornering, stock springs are great all around, keeps the ride civil.

jtmdmd1
September 30th, 2013, 18:00
I can't believe how many cars there were at the TOD the days you were there. When we went in March it was pretty empty- only saw a couple of bikes the whole day & just a few slower cars & trucks that pulled off to let you pass- pretty much you could run as fast as you wanted to. That must be frustrating with so much traffic.

My car is fairly cushy with the stock DRC but it does run smoothly on the highway expansion joints since I got the Conti DWs. The sidewalls on those are very soft & you can tell they are collapsing when you are turning hard- have to decide between jarring & too much roll I guess.

I haven't done any of the track days at Barber yet- Randy (MaxRS6) has done several at Barber & may be coming down to the Rezoom event in November. I had planned on doing one this year but it doesn't look like it is going to happen- maybe next year!! Randy's RS6 does very well on the track- I met him last Nov. there & watched him run the hell out of his. The Museum is pretty amazing, isn't it? 5 stories of motorcycles & Lotus racing cars. They are having the Vintage Motorcycle Festival next weekend (11th-13th) which is a huge motorcycle event.

When I picked up my RS6 last summer in Dallas we drove back thru rural Louisiana to Natchez & up the Trace to Jackson. It was a nice drive- couldn't really run too hard but very nice scenery.

If you do come down we can all get togetherXXXXXX!!!####

Just replying to kismetcapitan & had the perfect Monday morning disaster- I was typing my reply & I heard a kind of tapping noise in the ceiling tiles. Of course, a second or two later the water started dripping & then pouring on my desk. Unfortunately, the toilet in the patient reception area directly above my personal office & desk had stopped up & overflowed bringing new meaning to the term "a shitty Monday Morning". I spent the rest of the morning sanitizing & drying the ceiling, the carpet, & my desk. Next I'm going home to sanitize myself!!:(

DHall1
October 1st, 2013, 06:20
Link these threads

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/25827-Cherohala-Skyway?highlight=friday+girl+pictures