PDA

View Full Version : Gas mileage....stupid topic I know.

September 9th, 2013, 22:44
Getting 20.5 after flogging Thing 2 for 1000 miles. Didn't think this was bad at all. Anyone care to chime in with theirs?

JSRS6
September 10th, 2013, 00:26
Is that computer estimated or calculated based on gas actually consumed during the 1000 mile jaunt?

Kgnast
September 10th, 2013, 00:42
I've always wondered about the difference btween true tracked mileage, vs what the computer said the car was doing. For instance, downhill w/ foot off the gas pedal, the car shows -- as current consumption. How does that play out with the computer's averaging of gas mileage/consumption?

Is that computer estimated or calculated based on gas actually consumed during the 1000 mile jaunt?

September 10th, 2013, 01:04
Mine is computer...as I really haven't been interested in tracking the actual yet. I just thought 20.5 was pretty good considering I flog her every chance I get.

lswing
September 10th, 2013, 01:38
I get 12.5 around the city, but 24 on the freeway, mix the right combo of miles and I could see hitting 20...

Other_Erik
September 10th, 2013, 12:25
Anything more than 8mpg means you're not staying in boost enough XD

In all seriousness, I haven't taken the beast on a road trip yet. 90% city driving and 10% DC-area highway (which might as well be city driving), and I'm seeing 11-12mpg hand-calculated. The significant other took the beast out for a ~100mi round trip and used about a third of a tank (~7gal).

Will report back after this weekend, heading out to a remote spot for camping, so I should be able to get a solid number on freeway driving... 180 miles each way, but with the caveat that a chunk of that is on the capital beltway and US95/MD50, so there'll be a good piece of that in stop-and-go traffic, as well as the long slow line crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (hurray for the 4th worst road to drive in the US!)

Don't remember where I saw it, but I think it's pretty poignant - "Driving an RS6 and worrying about gas consumption is like driving a boat and worrying about getting it wet."

Kgnast
September 10th, 2013, 13:14
90-95%% city driving, 11mpg by the computer, prior to MTM TCU. Now, w/ the ability to hold an upper gear at lower rpm, I am seeing around 13-14mg on a daily basis. I did kill a tank this weekend over about 200 miles, and that included mainly hwy driving but that was hammering it everywhere. Abusive would be a good descriptive term. "Drive it like you stole it" was this weekend's motto.

Anything more than 8mpg means you're not staying in boost enough XD

In all seriousness, I haven't taken the beast on a road trip yet. 90% city driving and 10% DC-area highway (which might as well be city driving), and I'm seeing 11-12mpg hand-calculated. The significant other took the beast out for a ~100mi round trip and used about a third of a tank (~7gal).

Will report back after this weekend, heading out to a remote spot for camping, so I should be able to get a solid number on freeway driving... 180 miles each way, but with the caveat that a chunk of that is on the capital beltway and US95/MD50, so there'll be a good piece of that in stop-and-go traffic, as well as the long slow line crossing the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (hurray for the 4th worst road to drive in the US!)

Don't remember where I saw it, but I think it's pretty poignant - "Driving an RS6 and worrying about gas consumption is like driving a boat and worrying about getting it wet."

bmwade
September 10th, 2013, 14:47
I get 15 ish with 80% city

Dmb408
September 10th, 2013, 15:56
I get 17.X some tanks (if I have drove with spirit a lot lately) and 19.X (if I make a concerted effort to just drive 80 on the hwy and no hot doggin it). I am 10.5 miles HWY and 4.7 city (with lots of stop signs and lights before I get to the hwy) one-way on my everyday commute and rarely do I drive it on the weekend (a nice grocery store is within walking distance of our house and I haul stuff with the wife's cayenne). So I'm +2/3 Hwy -1/3 City

Good thread, I have been wanting to bounce this off people too.

ttboost
September 10th, 2013, 18:30
18-20mpg should be about right...a little less if you drive with big heavy boots on...mine is a smidge better with the stick now...

September 10th, 2013, 19:52
Mine is probably 80% highway and 20% city (well, Park City really isn't that big). Drive 64 highway miles round trip to work with only one stoplight so I'm sure that helps. Going to work I'm usually good (read under triple digits) because I'd hate to be late to work. Coming back up the hill I'm usually in and out of the boost quite a bit.

Papadelogan
September 11th, 2013, 14:16

I-95 used to be drivable, and fun; 50 has always been a crapshoot with cops. On my CBR600 many years ago I made it from Catonsville, MD to the McDonald's on the southwest side of Tyson's Corner mall in 30 minutes.... another day a Ferrari came out to play at about 5:30AM... any more, ALL those roads are a damn parking lot. I don't miss it one bit, and having the power of an RS6 underfoot would make it that much worse.... it must be like trying to hold back the Hulk with spaghetti.

G2
September 12th, 2013, 05:13
Of course we don't buy a 500hp car and expect 4cyl 1.6L type gas mileage.:eek: Keeping tabs on the MPG can help find problems.

My 2 prior Audi's MPG "counter" displays were very accurate. Well within 0.3MPG. An A4V6 and a B6S4(MT). I get about 10% better MPG now than with the S4.

Or about 19 MPG combined. Which relates to about 90% highway and modest speeds. A trip up to the high desert thru some sizeable hills netted about 22MPG. Coming back was over 25MPG, but at 1/2 a tank to go, it's down to 22MPG avg.

The MPG display seems pretty close as usual. But haven't closely checked it.

Just put winter wheels on (and it's 90F+ right after a torrential rain storm!). The 19's were getting to me. I think the new Michelins roll a little easier and ride plush even with 43 PSI.

I'm thinking .5MPG at this point. I can also get 24MPG like LSWING but not at much over 60MPH. That doesn't happen much!

Wonder what the 6spd manual conversion person is getting (or could get driving normally)?

ttboost
September 12th, 2013, 12:40
Wonder what the 6spd manual conversion person is getting (or could get driving normally)?

Thinking about 23-25hwy and 18-20 city...not driving like an idiot...driving like an idiot gets me back to 15-18mpg...
I love being able to drive around town in 5th or 6th at 35mph....idling...

Papadelogan
September 12th, 2013, 14:51
I love being able to drive around town in 5th or 6th at 35mph....idling...

I used to be able to do that in my '96 Passat TDI... but the only race I'd ever beat you would be if I drove off a cliff first :lovl:

You have the RS6 I hope to own/build over the next few years...

G2
September 13th, 2013, 02:01
What's engine RPM at a given speed, say 60, 70, or 80 mph? In 6th?

September 13th, 2013, 04:02
Of course we don't buy a 500hp car and expect 4cyl 1.6L type gas mileage.:eek: Keeping tabs on the MPG can help find problems.

This was what I was wondering about.....if you drive mostly highway and are getting 12mpg...your RS is a mess, or you are in jail. My average MPH per the computer is 40, which I think contributes to the 20 mpg...trying to get a baseline to spot trouble :)

Bigglezworth
September 13th, 2013, 04:48
I just pulled off 550miles on a full tank a week and a bit ago. Entirely hwy with constant speed of 65mph. Was on fumes, but did it.

Dynmicracr
September 13th, 2013, 19:01
You are not really calculating anything unless you divide miles by gallons. Going off the computer MPG calculations will be off several MPG. This site is great for tracking fuel economy and great for sharing it during times like this:

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/agregory23/rs6

Not to mention you can browse all the cars without an account. Comes in handy when considering the purchase of a commute car.

Other_Erik
September 17th, 2013, 12:25
Finished the road trip

430 miles, of which 350 was all-highway. 25 gallons all told, not bad :)

DHall1
September 17th, 2013, 16:18
I paper measure 75% of the time.

70% hwy but at 85mph which lowers mileage.

17.5mpg w/Aces on the RS6.

With my old E55 it would hit 19 mpg but only with Aces. 2mpg less w/o Aces.

Your Aces mileage may vary because AZ has some of the worst fuel quality in the country. 91 Ethanol

I run Aces all the time.

bmlee007
September 18th, 2013, 14:21
Just checked mine after a 430 mile trip. All highway with some sitting in road construction, then arrived in CT at 5:30 pm as the entire state left work.

Computer showed 23.2, real world with a calculator was 22 even. Running Shell 93 octane.

ttboost
September 18th, 2013, 14:26
That sounds about right.

Dmb408
September 18th, 2013, 16:18
bmlee, when you were driving at hwy speeds, where did you set your cruise?

Dynmicracr
September 18th, 2013, 17:50
What mods do you guys have that are getting 22mpg? The absolute BEST I have ever gotten is 18. And that was coming back from Tahoe out of the Sierras with gravity on my side. This is with our lovely California 91 octane.

Other_Erik
September 18th, 2013, 19:17
What mods do you guys have that are getting 22mpg? The absolute BEST I have ever gotten is 18. And that was coming back from Tahoe out of the Sierras with gravity on my side. This is with our lovely California 91 octane.

QFT, and so tired of ethanol.
Real-world experience, last couple cars I've owned.
Current Grand Prix GTP (modded for power, not economy) - drove it from Northern VA down to Southern VA for a weekend getaway, all highway miles, cruise set at 61 in 55 zones, 73 in 65 zones, tank full of 10% ethanol $#!+gas (14.9 gal), was on fumes after 180 miles. Filled up with Non-Ethanol 93 octane. Drove around for a couple of days (some spirited driving included), put another 60 miles on the odometer, and drove back the 180 miles on the same highways, with a bit more stop and go traffic as I got close to home. Parked out on the street and took a look at the gas gauge - still right around a quarter. That means I got ~12.4mpg with 10% ethanol (180miles/14.5gal) and ~21.3mpg on non-ethanol (240 miles/11.25 gal)

Previous Grand Prix GTP (very lightly modded) - drove from NOVA to Ocean City (~175 miles each way) same type of scenario, full tank, 10% ethanol, 14.9 gal, rolled the car down to pick up marina gas (closest filler available) - 91 octane no ethanol, did some spirited driving around OC, another 20 miles or so, and did the 175 miles back, got home with ~1/3 tank left...

I could go on, but I think you all get my point. Anyone not within 75 (or is it 100 now?) miles of a major metropolitan area is at a serious advantage on gas mileage, not just because of less stop & go traffic, but because it's not EPA-mandated to blend corn alcohol into the gas to appease the corn lobby.

Dynmicracr
September 18th, 2013, 19:41
QFT, and so tired of ethanol.
Real-world experience, last couple cars I've owned.
Current Grand Prix GTP (modded for power, not economy) - drove it from Northern VA down to Southern VA for a weekend getaway, all highway miles, cruise set at 61 in 55 zones, 73 in 65 zones, tank full of 10% ethanol $#!+gas (14.9 gal), was on fumes after 180 miles. Filled up with Non-Ethanol 93 octane. Drove around for a couple of days (some spirited driving included), put another 60 miles on the odometer, and drove back the 180 miles on the same highways, with a bit more stop and go traffic as I got close to home. Parked out on the street and took a look at the gas gauge - still right around a quarter. That means I got ~12.4mpg with 10% ethanol (180miles/14.5gal) and ~21.3mpg on non-ethanol (240 miles/11.25 gal)

Previous Grand Prix GTP (very lightly modded) - drove from NOVA to Ocean City (~175 miles each way) same type of scenario, full tank, 10% ethanol, 14.9 gal, rolled the car down to pick up marina gas (closest filler available) - 91 octane no ethanol, did some spirited driving around OC, another 20 miles or so, and did the 175 miles back, got home with ~1/3 tank left...

I could go on, but I think you all get my point. Anyone not within 75 (or is it 100 now?) miles of a major metropolitan area is at a serious advantage on gas mileage, not just because of less stop & go traffic, but because it's not EPA-mandated to blend corn alcohol into the gas to appease the corn lobby.

Corn lobby is destroying this country between making us fat and wreaking havoc on our fuel consumption.

bmlee007
September 19th, 2013, 00:58
bmlee, when you were driving at hwy speeds, where did you set your cruise?

Set the cruise right at 70 through PA and NY, then drove whatever the road would give me in CT.

Only mod I have right now is the FMU intake. I don't have any power before/after numbers, but the ear and the ass tell me it breathes better and accelerates a little quicker than stock. At normal highway cruising, it purrs like a kitten. The 2 extra octane we get here on the East coast helps too, though I've never tried any of the additives to see if there is extra mileage hidden in the tank.

DHall1
September 19th, 2013, 01:47
+1000

Factor in the monopoly on genetic modified grain that Monsanto makes the farmers take, grow and feed us. That will make you want to drive up to K street and feed them the same pile of crap that gets put on our plates.

Ethanol looks to take a cool 20% or so off fuel economy.

Corn lobby is destroying this country between making us fat and wreaking havoc on our fuel consumption.

Dmb408
October 7th, 2013, 02:24
I got a good hwy reading recently and did it off the fill up/count miles/count gallons consumed method. It was 22.3 over about 600 miles of 76-77 mph hwy driving. The trip computer also read the same thing, so in this instance it was not off.

Dmb408
October 7th, 2013, 02:30
22.3 mpg that is

drbobsled
October 7th, 2013, 17:58
Have a 2004 ABT with 157,000 km on it.
I get about 14 mpg.
But I live in the United Arab Emirates, so the AC is always on and I often let the interior cool down a little before driving.
Gas is about 50 cents a litre (you do the math for gallons).
The cost of fuelling the rocket is the same each week as my 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid, back home in Alberta, Canada.