PDA

View Full Version : Bad squeaking

SA RS6
September 7th, 2013, 16:44
There is a really bad squeaking coming from the front right side wheel. its only on small strokes of the shock. pulling out of my driveway it sounds really bad, but going over a speed bump nothing. Could this be the DRC cause that hose is bad and audi wants 745 dollars to replace it. Or is more like a control arm issue? Any input would help me a lot.

lswing
September 7th, 2013, 19:21
Lots of bushings in there too. You could replace the DRC with Koni yellows for ~$1,250 with labor and not have the worries, and usually a better ride.

SA RS6
September 8th, 2013, 01:36
Thats what i plan on doing anyways, DBC tuning said they would do the swap for 1921. Thats parts labor and taking off all the DRC crap. Does that seem fair?

lswing
September 8th, 2013, 04:45
Way high. I paid about $700 for the struts shipped. $375 labor, $100 for alignment and mount/balance, with a few bits and pieces of the DRC left.

So that shop needs 10-15 hours to swap struts and un-bolt some lines? Kind of ridiculous...

lswing
September 8th, 2013, 16:48
The car was already on the lift, wheels off, for other work, so that saved some time. But I would think $1,500 total would be max price.

SA RS6
September 8th, 2013, 19:00
ok im gonna run it by them again and see why its so high. Maybe i can save some money if i buy the konis myself. When they told me 1900 i figured it was a little high considering i can get the konis for 740. Is taking off all the DRC crap that hard?

lswing
September 8th, 2013, 20:52
Yep, they might markup the Koni's 20%, about standard for a shop. 5 hours labor, but again, maybe these guys are going to pick every little thing out, I know we left some hose and what not...

SA RS6
September 11th, 2013, 15:47
yea i figured they would mark up a little. and from what they told me they are gonna pull out the pump, hoses and everything from DRC, at least thats what they told me.

G2
September 12th, 2013, 05:24
Our market labor rates are about $75-120 p/hr here in Oregon (on the low end for our area). Big cities are often much higher, and shop overhead is a killer. It's reflected in parts prices-- sometimes shops can't even buy parts for what you can get them on-line. So don't hastilly jump to conclusions regarding insidious business practices.....

Pal of mine owns a shop in SF area and a few years ago charged $100 p/hr while larger places were getting $160+.

Most shops will accept customer supplied parts, but don't expect any warranty service if something goes wrong, on their dime. Support a good shop that can in turn support you. Long term customer loyalty often works to one' advantage, but that coincides with upholding a consistently easy going approach.

Quality comes first in my book.

Urbo
September 12th, 2013, 13:30
Have the same issue but on the left side. Most control arm bushings have been replaced over the last several years. Any other thoughts outside of replacing the DRC?

SA RS6
September 12th, 2013, 23:11
i have an apt for Audi tomorrow, when they let me know what it is i will post the finding. and ive heard nothing but good things about these guys, all the super rich people that i get to meet tell me about them, a guy with a lambo SV took it to them and had it tuned. i just felt like 1900 was a little high for the job and just wanted to see what other people think. either way im gonna have them do it, just didnt know if i should buy the parts and take them or just suck it up and pay the overpriced price and be happy lol.

SA RS6
September 14th, 2013, 00:26
well audi couldnt tell me what was causing the squeak but they want to replace (btw this is no joke, this is what they told me) the strut bracket, mounting, plate, spring,and another plate, and 2 nuts. all for the low price of 1002.48 dollars. and word for word i asked "so which one of those is causing the squeak" them " we dont know, we just want to replace all of that cause its coming from one of them" needless to say i didnt go this route. im just gonna go with the Konis, cause for the 1000 dollars to repair on strut i can do an entire swap :lovl:

lswing
September 14th, 2013, 01:23
I think all that have swapped over like the Koni's. Feels a bit odd putting $700 struts on a $90k car, but they work great.

SA RS6
September 14th, 2013, 01:28
should i go with the Koni yellow or the Koni FSD's?

lswing
September 14th, 2013, 02:06
Koni yellows are what everyone has been running from what I understand. I see fsd's aren't adjustable either. I'm going to bump a thread in a minute that has all the info and part #'s.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Audi&autoModel=A6+4.2&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=&brand=KONI

Urbo
October 9th, 2013, 00:13
SA - did you make a decision on yellows / FSD / other? Impressions?

SA RS6
October 9th, 2013, 22:59
im gonna go with the yellows, i like the fact you can adjust them and for the price its hard to beat. just gotta get the cash first.

Dynmicracr
October 10th, 2013, 00:27
Any reason why tirerack has two different front and two different rear listed in that link above?

EDIT: Hmmm on the Koni site it says those with or without "sport suspension".

SA RS6
October 10th, 2013, 04:48
I'm pretty sure the part number everyone gave me was for the sport ones.

lswing
October 10th, 2013, 17:55
You'll see the part numbers on page one, so yes sport. Take mention of using the middle perch in the year for a level car. Also, doesn't it note on the TR site Audi and non-Audi basically?

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23946-Completed-DIY-DRC-removal-swap-with-Koni-Yellow-Sports