PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Side Valve Cover Gasket

Dmb408
August 20th, 2013, 15:45
I need to do this. Any idea what the "flex" pipe out of the way implies in the other threads, the DIY included (the one for the driver's side)? I want to be able to give my indy shop some good instruction or guidance as I don't think I really want to do this side myself.

Thanks.

kevin
August 20th, 2013, 16:35
Drain coolant. Undo bolts for coolant pipe on valve cover and rear of cylinder head. This will allow enough movement to get the cover off and on.

Dmb408
August 20th, 2013, 17:09
Thanks Kevin. That actually doesn't sound too bad (assuming our coolant draining procedure isn't too tough, I have not looked into that, have no idea).

Bigglezworth
August 21st, 2013, 00:50
I need to do this. Any idea what the "flex" pipe out of the way implies in the other threads, the DIY included (the one for the driver's side)? I want to be able to give my indy shop some good instruction or guidance as I don't think I really want to do this side myself.

Thanks.
This is the pipe in question. There is also some heroic work around the inlet nipple on the fuel rail if you aren't removing that. Some patience and it will all eventually come out and go back in.

Dmb408
August 21st, 2013, 13:03
Bigglezworth, a comment of "heroic" from you makes me a tad scared.

dab
August 21st, 2013, 15:34
thanks for the update, I am having this done this afternoon will let you know how it goes.

Dmb408
August 21st, 2013, 16:07
haha, definitely DAB. Let me know how it goes, grill your indy (I assume) on how bad it was. That might give me the resolve or not.

dab
August 22nd, 2013, 13:01
still no word from the shop, not a good sign

dab
August 23rd, 2013, 13:23
7 hours of labor 700, better than the 20 hours they suggusted. The "flexing" of the pipe was quite an effort.

marklar182
August 23rd, 2013, 13:30
Good to hear they got it without breaking the flex joint!

NSU RS6
August 23rd, 2013, 17:37
Care to elaborate what it would take to get the fuel rail out of the way? Would that be worth doing??

Bigglezworth
August 23rd, 2013, 23:40
Care to elaborate what it would take to get the fuel rail out of the way? Would that be worth doing??When I did the valve covers on each of my rides here, I loosened off the fastener that holds down the fuel rail on the back passeger side of the intake. You can certainly look to remove the entire fuel rail, but it's not required. Loosening provided a small bit of wiggle around that crunch point which was assisted with removal. Leaving that back fastener in would make it more difficult to remove the cover for certain.

Seating all the injectors and rail, was something I did not want to perform. As a base point, the first time I performed this task, it took 40mins R&R for the drivers side to put on a new gasket, and more than 6x that to perform the passenger side... All in all, it was a total of 4.5 hours. The second go round was significantly quicker at 2.5 hours with the extra 2 hours saved on the passenger side alone. Still not as quick as many other cars, but 7hours it shouldn't be.

NSU RS6
August 24th, 2013, 05:31
When I did the valve covers on each of my rides here, I loosened off the fastener that holds down the fuel rail on the back passeger side of the intake. You can certainly look to remove the entire fuel rail, but it's not required. Loosening provided a small bit of wiggle around that crunch point which was assisted with removal. Leaving that back fastener in would make it more difficult to remove the cover for certain.

Seating all the injectors and rail, was something I did not want to perform. As a base point, the first time I performed this task, it took 40mins R&R for the drivers side to put on a new gasket, and more than 6x that to perform the passenger side... All in all, it was a total of 4.5 hours. The second go round was significantly quicker at 2.5 hours with the extra 2 hours saved on the passenger side alone. Still not as quick as many other cars, but 7hours it shouldn't be.

Did you use this tensioning tool to tighten the chain, to lift the block to get that little thin gasket in under the tensioner block? See: http://www.amazon.com/AUDI-Chain-Tensioner-Holder-Holding/dp/B0031QIAO8

ttboost
August 24th, 2013, 11:28
Doing injectors actually isn't as tough as you think. I swapped my set in about an hour, as I recall. Not something you look forward to doing, but if it was necessary..not a deal breaker...

dab
August 25th, 2013, 15:53
This is what I woke up to14121on my garage floor underneath the beast. those are my size 12's for reference.

lswing
August 25th, 2013, 16:12
Bummer, either gasket didn't seat right or they loosened up some other line. All over the engine block?