View Full Version : Sportec RS600 Traps 122 MPH. Fastest RS6 in the country!

10SecS4
August 16th, 2013, 15:39
Just thought I'd share some details I received yesterday from the new owner of the Sportec RS600. He took her to the strip and babying it out of the hole, ran an 11.9@120 MPH. On another pass it trapped 122, making it the fastest RS6 in the country to date. This is a full interior car running through a fully muffled Milltek catback.

As some of you may recall, DHall1 and ttboost speculated that the RS600 was a slow and unimpressive pig. Well, the new owner of the RS600 just proved them both wrong. This is further proof that dyno numbers should be taken with a grain of salt and nothing is better than real world performance numbers from an NHRA dragstrip. ttboost, what did your 6-speed RS6 trap again? :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDdZCNlB5WE&feature=youtu.be

Dmb408
August 16th, 2013, 15:46
I'm not going to get into any debates, rather, I'm just going to say that is one cool video.

SteveKen
August 16th, 2013, 15:53
Irregardless of all the drama: There's no denying that it's very impressive.

Just curious Marc. Is this running the as-received from Sportec code, or did you do any massaging prior to selling it?

10SecS4
August 16th, 2013, 15:57
Thank you sir. I never touched the tune. However, I did see through data logging that the tune was extremely conservative. This is why I told people the car had a LOT more in it. It still does. It should have no problem trapping mid to high 120's once the new owner adds WGAs and a re-tune.

Irregardless of all the drama: There's no denying that it's very impressive.

Just curious Marc. Is this running the as-received from Sportec code, or did you do any massaging prior to selling it?

Bigglezworth
August 16th, 2013, 16:02
With the Sportec items on the motor, this car should be quicker than this.... An OEM car will run this fast with a tune as you well know.

DHall1
August 16th, 2013, 16:05
Now who is adding the drama Marc? Never said slow and unimpressive pig. So lets leave that aside and congrats to the owner for a fast ride. I got no problem giving out kudos for a job well done.

Just thought I'd share some details I received yesterday from the new owner of the Sportec RS600. He took her to the strip and babying it out of the hole, ran an 11.9@120 MPH. On another pass it trapped 122, making it the fastest RS6 in the country to date. This is a full interior car running through a fully muffled Milltek catback.

As some of you may recall, DHall1 and ttboost speculated that the RS600 was a slow and unimpressive pig. Well, the new owner of the RS600 just proved them both wrong. This is further proof that dyno numbers should be taken with a grain of salt and nothing is better than real world performance numbers from an NHRA dragstrip. ttboost, what did your 6-speed RS6 trap again? :thumb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDdZCNlB5WE&feature=youtu.be

10SecS4
August 16th, 2013, 16:30
Sorry Tim but I beg to differ. If you check some of the threads here, you'll see that the average Revo or APR tuned RS6 traps in the 110 range. The RS600 is trapping a solid 10-12 MPH more. That's a HUGE difference.

With the Sportec items on the motor, this car should be quicker than this.... An OEM car will run this fast with a tune as you well know.

10SecS4
August 16th, 2013, 16:36
You never used those exact words but you did talk the car down. Now you get to eat your words. :hey:

Now who is adding the drama Marc? Never said slow and unimpressive pig. So lets leave that aside and congrats to the owner for a fast ride. I got no problem giving out kudos for a job well done.

PALETTE
August 16th, 2013, 21:02
Very Good time!! Congrats!

ttboost
August 16th, 2013, 21:26
Always looking to start something. Just like Dave says, I never said it was a pig, just asked why my car made the same power on the same dyno, with no mods. Your the one who got all defensive, like you tuned it or something. But because I am not a bad sport, My car trapped 109, bone stock, with a bad TC, and a month or so ago, it went 108 with NO boost because a hose popped off at the track. I know my car will never trap 120, mostly because I could give 2 sh*ts...so you can be rest assured that you are the man Marc...

10SecS4
August 16th, 2013, 22:08
Wow, you guys can most certainly dish it out, but can't take it in huh? You did in fact call it a slow pig. Here's exactly what you said back on June 13th:

"My opinion back then was based on these facts. For a car with so much hoopla attached to it, to have these results? The excuse being that it is only running 11-12psi of boost? Why? Why would a $150k super sedan with a built motor and all the best parts only be running 11-12lbs of boost? heatsoak? After a few runs with bigger IC's? I can buy an S4 on Autotrader right now, for $10k, that would whip this car."

"There is an a$$ for every seat. Good luck to the future owners of that car...I'm sure there will be many..."

Please show me an S4 that can be purchased for $10K that will "whip" this RS6 that traps 122 MPH in the 1/4 mile. I'd buy it in two seconds. :jlol:

So much negativity was posted by you, Dave, and others about this car. For what reason though? If you don't like a car on the internet, why feel compelled to talk smack about it? Is it jealousy? I guess I just don't get all the bad mouthing and trash talking, that's all. The new owner just ran 122 MPH in the 1/4 mile with a full interior, full exhaust, and a measly 11-12psi of boost up top. To me, that's extremely impressive. This is further proof that actions speak far louder than words. Anybody can say it's slow, has excuses, etc. but at the end of the day the proof is in the pudding. :race:

Always looking to start something. Just like Dave says, I never said it was a pig, just asked why my car made the same power on the same dyno, with no mods. Your the one who got all defensive, like you tuned it or something. But because I am not a bad sport, My car trapped 109, bone stock, with a bad TC, and a month or so ago, it went 108 with NO boost because a hose popped off at the track. I know my car will never trap 120, mostly because I could give 2 sh*ts...so you can be rest assured that you are the man Marc...

kevin
August 16th, 2013, 23:09
ok ok... time to move on. Nice times btw. http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/vwmeister/smartgraph.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/vwmeister/media/smartgraph.jpg.html)

ttboost
August 17th, 2013, 00:23
Clearly you missed the point of my post...I'll clarify it for you now...I don't care (then or now) HOW much power this car made and HOW fast it traps...it STILL not worth twice what a regular RS6 is worth. That's my opinion, I am entitled to it. Thought that then and still think it now. If you think I am being a keyboard warrior..that is your right too...

Nontheless, now that it is sorted, congrats to the owner of the "fastest RS6"...
I have no more use for my RS6 and it will sit. I've moved on to bigger and better things.

10SecS4
August 17th, 2013, 00:46
Nope, I didn't miss your point at all. You said you could buy an S4 for $10K and whip the RS600. Again, show me where I can buy this S4 for $10K that traps higher than 122 MPH. I'll buy it.

Not sure where you're getting that the car is worth twice what a regular RS6 is worth. While the car does have over $150K invested in it by the original owner in Switzerland, the car recently sold in the $32K to $34K range which represents a huge discount to was invested in it. Keep in mind also the car had ridiculously low mileage, like 25-30K. So are you saying you can buy an RS6 with only 25-30K miles on it for $16-$17K? If so, I'll buy one of those too lol.

Look, I could maybe see your point if we were talking like the RS600 selling for $100K, $75K, maybe even $50K. But the car was barely being sold for ANY premium over what a STOCK RS6 with those miles would go for. It really was a terrific deal. I should've kept it!

Clearly you missed the point of my post...I'll clarify it for you now...I don't care (then or now) HOW much power this car made and HOW fast it traps...it STILL not worth twice what a regular RS6 is worth. That's my opinion, I am entitled to it. Thought that then and still think it now. If you think I am being a keyboard warrior..that is your right too...

Nontheless, now that it is sorted, congrats to the owner of the "fastest RS6"...
I have no more use for my RS6 and it will sit. I've moved on to bigger and better things.

bmwade
August 17th, 2013, 01:56
ok ok... time to move on. Nice times btw. http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa293/vwmeister/smartgraph.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/vwmeister/media/smartgraph.jpg.html)

ditto! But this is a fun argument none the less....

Bigglezworth
August 17th, 2013, 02:07
Sorry Tim but I beg to differ. If you check some of the threads here, you'll see that the average Revo or APR tuned RS6 traps in the 110 range. The RS600 is trapping a solid 10-12 MPH more. That's a HUGE difference.Guess I didn't clarify well enough. The tune you developed has run this same time with a trap speed only a couple of MPH less on an OEM engine. It is my appreciation that the additional engine work, the lighter curb weight, the manual gearing, different turbos, coupled with a your particular tune, and you would see times that would exceed the 11.7 you ran a couple of years ago in your gray car. Just an observation. Would need to be proven to actually merit any muster.

StormFront
August 17th, 2013, 03:06
http://thoseposters.com/emailPosters/poster3299.jpg

TozoM8
August 17th, 2013, 03:13
Exactly. 150 lbs difference on the trans made it run faster on the end. One fast car for sure.

Guess I didn't clarify well enough. The tune you developed has run this same time with a trap speed only a couple of MPH less on an OEM engine. It is my appreciation that the additional engine work, the lighter curb weight, the manual gearing, different turbos, coupled with a your particular tune, and you would see times that would exceed the 11.7 you ran a couple of years ago in your gray car. Just an observation. Would need to be proven to actually merit any muster.

alrightroad
August 17th, 2013, 03:36
http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif

10SecS4
August 17th, 2013, 04:37
That's true but your typical run of the mill tuned RS6 on this forum traps 110 on average. What you have to remember is these cars are all limited by the size of the turbos. That's the restriction and nobody really knows what Sportec did to the turbos but either way, they're still K04s and likely still the biggest restriction.

My grey car ran 11.59@119 btw but that was launching with boost off the line. The RS600 didn't even launch, he just grannied it out of the hole. With the 122 trap, it's capable of low to mid 11's.

Guess I didn't clarify well enough. The tune you developed has run this same time with a trap speed only a couple of MPH less on an OEM engine. It is my appreciation that the additional engine work, the lighter curb weight, the manual gearing, different turbos, coupled with a your particular tune, and you would see times that would exceed the 11.7 you ran a couple of years ago in your gray car. Just an observation. Would need to be proven to actually merit any muster.

DHall1
August 17th, 2013, 06:39
Thats right Marc. I never used those words.

Period. So don't drag me in the gutter with lies.

You never used those exact words but you did talk the car down. Now you get to eat your words. :hey:

10SecS4
August 17th, 2013, 07:19
The point here Dave is you said the car was slow and not making the advertised horsepower. You were wrong. That's all. We all make mistakes. It's ok to admit it.

jibberjive
August 17th, 2013, 09:48
This is further proof that dyno numbers should be taken with a grain of salt and nothing is better than real world performance numbers from an NHRA dragstrip.
What did the car dyno in the state that it ran these times, and on which dyno?

Congrats to the current owner, fast car.

StormFront
August 17th, 2013, 14:28
http://cache.blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Popcorn-02-Stephen-Colbert.gif

lulz

(8 character rule)

Corbett
August 17th, 2013, 14:57
Hi guys! I'm the new owner of the RS600. Didnt want to post in the past, as I've read a lot of negativity towards this car on this board. If we can all keep it civil I'd love to stick around for the long run. Any questions, feel free to ask.

10SecS4
August 17th, 2013, 16:55
Welcome to the club pal. :rs6kiss: :race: :addict:

NSU RS6
August 17th, 2013, 17:55
http://thoseposters.com/emailPosters/poster3299.jpg

This and the dumb/smart chart made my day.

lswing
August 17th, 2013, 18:56
Hi guys! I'm the new owner of the RS600. Didnt want to post in the past, as I've read a lot of negativity towards this car on this board. If we can all keep it civil I'd love to stick around for the long run. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Nice, sounds like a good score, welcome. I'd start up another thread with some car info and what not. Fastest RS6 clocked, good stuff! Hopefully I'll get to the local strip for a time on my build.

NSU RS6
August 17th, 2013, 22:55

Hi Corbett - I am a semi newb too. While the history of your car is relevant, what happens from today and here on out is what matters.

Good luck with your dragstrip queen.

It's guys like you that make us all look good.

NSU RS6
August 17th, 2013, 23:02

Hi Corbett - I am a semi newb too. While the history of your car is relevant, what happens from today and here on out is what matters.

Drive it hard, report the results, and be classy.....

NSU RS6
August 17th, 2013, 23:04
Might as well make it a triple.

10SecS4
August 18th, 2013, 01:04
Why is it a dragstrip queen?

lswing
August 18th, 2013, 08:36

Drive it hard, report the results, and be classy.....

What are you talking about?...I'll assume it's good because a car on the strip is better than one in the garage!

Corbett
August 21st, 2013, 02:57
Here is a vid of the 122mph trap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL1saUe6y2Y

Bigglezworth
August 21st, 2013, 04:08
122 and it didn't even crack 12. That means some decent power at the end for sure.

4everRS
August 21st, 2013, 04:13
122 and it didn't even crack 12. That means some decent power at the end for sure.
I've been thinking the same thing.

Corbett
August 21st, 2013, 04:23

Thanks. My other run was 11.9 @ 120.

The wastegates open at 13.5psi so we are working on that. A few other small goodies being added this weekend. Goal is to take Marc's record down lol! He's been a lot of help and a great friend along the way.

Erik
August 21st, 2013, 07:18
How could I miss this thread?

Bring it on :D

buster0984
August 21st, 2013, 12:36
are you running any sort of boost controller...you can keep the lower rated wastegate springs in there and trick the system by using a controller. It would give you more boost but keep a fail safe if the controller were to crap out or malfunction and would revert back to the 13.5 psi (wastegate pressure) you have now.

just a suggestion :)

Corbett
August 21st, 2013, 17:28
are you running any sort of boost controller...you can keep the lower rated wastegate springs in there and trick the system by using a controller. It would give you more boost but keep a fail safe if the controller were to crap out or malfunction and would revert back to the 13.5 psi (wastegate pressure) you have now.

just a suggestion :)

Yes we have an mbc on the car. Spiking at 23 and falling off to 13.5 at the top rpm range.

mi021le
August 22nd, 2013, 00:05
I did 12.2 at 118 on stock turbos grannying it out the whole too. Keep the numbers going down. I wana see more.

Ps. Welcome. Good mph numbers.

Kgnast
August 30th, 2013, 04:06
Welcome aboard! Great numbers, enjoy the car. Wicked beast.

G2
August 31st, 2013, 20:17
Judging from the steaming tailpipes wondering what the ambient temp and engine temperatures were.....

Speaking for my car, if it's heat soaked, it's sluggish until enough air cools things down. A nice cool morning also makes getting on the freeway a nice Zing!

jibberjive
September 1st, 2013, 16:33
Yes we have an mbc on the car. Spiking at 23 and falling off to 13.5 at the top rpm range.
Why aren't you tuning the boost via the N75?

10SecS4
September 1st, 2013, 17:27
Was this at a dragstrip or on a Gtech/VBox/etc? If it was at the strip, please post the timeslip.

I did 12.2 at 118 on stock turbos grannying it out the whole too. Keep the numbers going down. I wana see more.

Ps. Welcome. Good mph numbers.

10SecS4
September 1st, 2013, 17:30
Ambient was 55.9F with 84% humidity on his 120 MPH pass and 52.0F with 84% humidity on his 122 pass.

Judging from the steaming tailpipes wondering what the ambient temp and engine temperatures were.....

Speaking for my car, if it's heat soaked, it's sluggish until enough air cools things down. A nice cool morning also makes getting on the freeway a nice Zing!

10SecS4
September 1st, 2013, 17:44
Although I never ran a MBC on any of my RS6s, some tuners prefer it because it's quicker and easier to raise the boost with it than it is to make PID adjustments and re-flash. You can make real time changes to the boost and then later on take care of it in the tune. Some of us also run tiny lightweight batteries which don't allow for flashing via OBD out on the street, so that adds more time when you have to pull the ECU, unscrew it, modify maps, calculate checksums, flash the ECM, reinstall in the car, etc. It gets to be a real pain in the ass when you're making dozens of file revisions. Perhaps adaptation channel 12 is the answer here but I haven't looked into it much.

Why aren't you tuning the boost via the N75?

G2
September 1st, 2013, 19:27
Ambient was 55.9F with 84% humidity on his 120 MPH pass and 52.0F with 84% humidity on his 122 pass.

That makes sense. I've noticed that higher humidty drastically helped my Mk1 turbo VW.

Was the engine and drivetrain fully warmed up? Or, for example, was it an "ideal" pass with just enough engine temp to protect it (to take advantage of lower temps to improve air density). Just curious....and how much it might help?

jibberjive
September 1st, 2013, 20:42
Although I never ran a MBC on any of my RS6s, some tuners prefer it because it's quicker and easier to raise the boost with it than it is to make PID adjustments and re-flash. You can make real time changes to the boost and then later on take care of it in the tune. Some of us also run tiny lightweight batteries which don't allow for flashing via OBD out on the street, so that adds more time when you have to pull the ECU, unscrew it, modify maps, calculate checksums, flash the ECM, reinstall in the car, etc. It gets to be a real pain in the ass when you're making dozens of file revisions. Perhaps adaptation channel 12 is the answer here but I haven't looked into it much.

If you want to get real wild, there's now a relatively affordable emulator that you can use to do real-time changes when tuning without flashing.

mi021le
September 2nd, 2013, 23:47
Was this at a dragstrip or on a Gtech/VBox/etc? If it was at the strip, please post the timeslip.

I looked back when I was talking to people on here about it. It was in 2006 when it happened at capital raceway outside dc that following fall. There's no luck finding that one time slip. I've moved since then and everything, just got talked into a some feeler passes. I don't live my life (or care to) live my life one q-mile at a time.

But that is a impressive time that he put up. And I have a feeling the times will only get better. Good luck. I'm interested in seeing what times he can get. Good luck. Ps mark did u tune it?