PDA

View Full Version : Eurocharged Tune?

July 30th, 2013, 22:25
GAIC tune is out of Thing 2. Thinking about Eurocharged. Comments or suggestions?

Thing 2 has 189k on the clock, SAI delete, aux rad delete, Midwest Turbo connection turbo rebuild, and new Wags. Spends most of its time between 4000 and 7000 feet elevation.

kevin
July 31st, 2013, 01:16
I have Eurocharged and love it. Hopefully they can make the adjustments I need to use it with the 6SPD swap I just finished.

DHall1
July 31st, 2013, 21:37
Please keep an eye on the exhaust manifolds coming apart from the inside. Your running at the mileage and if your car has been tuned then its even hotter on the exhaust gas temps.

I run EC. Given the mileage I would opt for a lower boost tune with plenty of fuel.

lswing
July 31st, 2013, 21:54
^^Of course you tell him after he's got the car back together...the guy parting out a car last month had low mile manifolds for a great price.

August 1st, 2013, 05:28
Had the manifolds and everything else apart the last few months. Had seen the posts about them coming apart so I looked them over pretty well and they looked new. Have no problem putting a high boost tune on it...if it fails next year....it's all good, I'll just rebuild.

Avus-RS6
August 1st, 2013, 17:52
I have Eurocharged and love it. Hopefully they can make the adjustments I need to use it with the 6SPD swap I just finished.

AFAIK, AMD is the only one with the ABS/ESP issue truly sorted. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

ben916
August 1st, 2013, 17:53
AFAIK, AMD is the only one with the ABS/ESP issue truly sorted. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

And MTM and Sportec but both ECU tunes are as much as the value of a C5 RS6... (poke to Mr. Balsen's little finger)

SteveKen
August 1st, 2013, 18:24
And MTM and Sportec but both ECU tunes are as much as the value of a C5 RS6... (poke to Mr. Balsen's little finger)

You sure about MTM? I've got an adapter kit buyer in Switzerland that tried to get MTM to do it for him and they couldn't do it.

Dynmicracr
August 1st, 2013, 18:27

They say on their site that they are only getting gains of 55bhp and 59lbs/ft.

On EuroCharged they are getting:

<tbody>

Stock
Eurocharged

Peak Power (bhp)

Peak Torque (lb-ft)

</tbody>

Which is 74hp and 119.

Is the AMD that conservative or are we talking engine vs wheel power? Or is it to save what would be the auto trans yet with the 6speed conversion it doesn't need to be that conservative?

lswing
August 1st, 2013, 19:08
Those numbers are all engine calculated and about right for Eurocharged...about what I made, and currently make on my Revo hybrid tune...

AMD's numbers must be conservative and at the wheel.

Avus-RS6
August 1st, 2013, 19:20
Those numbers are all engine calculated and about right for Eurocharged...about what I made, and currently make on my Revo hybrid tune...

AMD's numbers must be conservative and at the wheel.

AMD is not "Eurocharged" as far as I know. I was just saying that AMD actually has the ESP/ABS sorted.

Dynmicracr
August 1st, 2013, 19:22
AMD is not "Eurocharged" as far as I know. I was just saying that AMD actually has the ESP/ABS sorted.

I think that is understood. I was just trying to compare AMD's power claims/gains with Eurocharged's power claims/gains.

lswing
August 1st, 2013, 19:28

Yep, know that...he was comparing numbers regardless of sorted ESP/ABS...what about contacting Viper?

Avus-RS6
August 1st, 2013, 19:38
Different AMD. The one I'm talking about is in Woodinville, WA and they developed a real 6 speed tune.

I don't have numbers on my car as new clutch is going in (engine and tranny still out) but they did final tuning on another customers 6 speed converted car, with and without meth I believe. I don't know the numbers.

Dynmicracr
August 1st, 2013, 22:12
Different AMD. The one I'm talking about is in Woodinville, WA and they developed a real 6 speed tune.

I don't have numbers on my car as new clutch is going in (engine and tranny still out) but they did final tuning on another customers 6 speed converted car, with and without meth I believe. I don't know the numbers.

Oh man I just googled AMD tuning and that was the first hit. Do they have a website? I found their Facebook page that has two websites listed but they go to a place in Carson, CA.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Addict-Motorsport-Design-AMD/125213817506451 (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Addict-Motorsport-Design-AMD/125213817506451?id=125213817506451&sk=info)

With websites listed that forward to:
http://www.avivainstruments.com/

Avus-RS6
August 1st, 2013, 22:40
Both of hose links will get to him, that's the correct AMD.

kevin
August 1st, 2013, 22:42

I will probably need to contact them as Jerry at EC isn't too confident he can help me. Avus-RS6, pm the details on what AMD did to make yours right and cost. Thanks

ttboost
August 1st, 2013, 22:58
I think it's $750 and you need to ship them your ECU.

Avus-RS6
August 1st, 2013, 23:20
Plus you need an S6 ABS control module and wire up the transmission and clutch switch to ECU.

August 2nd, 2013, 03:01

Thing 1 has Sportec tune and it's nice, but really doesn't feel that much faster than Thing 2 with the new turbos, Wags, and the GAIC tune out. I'm seeing his and hers helmets at the test and tune at Rocky Mountain Raceway.

lswing
August 2nd, 2013, 03:24
#2 not tuned?

August 2nd, 2013, 03:29
As far as I can tell I took the GAIC tune out, or it wasn't in when I purchased it. When I plugged in the controller it said "stock". All I did was follow the directions I found online as I didn't have the book.

lswing
August 2nd, 2013, 06:38
Time to get a new tune! World of difference when running right, warp speed...

August 2nd, 2013, 15:48
Eurocharged seems to be the best deal I can find, and everyone mostly seems to be happy with them. Now to pry the checkbook away from the wife :/

ttboost
August 2nd, 2013, 21:32
Have you called EPL?

August 7th, 2013, 05:32
Put the GAIC pump tune back on. "Warp Speed Mr. Sulu". Very happy with it and significantly more power.

lswing
August 7th, 2013, 05:55
Very nice..."punch it chewy!"...

That tune can run you a bit lean I thought? I should send you the software that I piggyback onto my Revo for extra fuel.

August 7th, 2013, 15:10
Very nice..."punch it chewy!"...

That tune can run you a bit lean I thought? I should send you the software that I piggyback onto my Revo for extra fuel.

Thanks! I'd definitely be up for having extra fuel, although I have no clue how to load it. I'm keeping my eye on it for any "too lean" or "knock sensor" codes and so far so good.

DHall1
August 7th, 2013, 17:22
Data log 3,31,115 in turbo mode during a 3rd gear pull from 2800 to redline

Imho don't wait for the codes. That is all I will say.

Thanks! I'd definitely be up for having extra fuel, although I have no clue how to load it. I'm keeping my eye on it for any "too lean" or "knock sensor" codes and so far so good.

lswing
August 7th, 2013, 17:37
From what I've read, Dave being one of them, you're going to be running lean, might feel ok but your EGT's are going to be sky high and you'll be cooking those sensors and causing extra wear....again, just an idea...

I think temp is really the big issue, the ECU is great at pulling timing to protect the engine in general, but that lean condition and higher temps will wear over time.

DHall1
August 7th, 2013, 19:27
Yep and yep

If its running lean and extra boost.....critical cycle is happening. ECU is pulling timing and that is causing the EGT to go even higher.
Add the fact that you are at altitude and have those long mountain pulls....EGT is sky high. Literally

From what I've read, Dave being one of them, you're going to be running lean, might feel ok but your EGT's are going to be sky high and you'll be cooking those sensors and causing extra wear....again, just an idea...

I think temp is really the big issue, the ECU is great at pulling timing to protect the engine in general, but that lean condition and higher temps will wear over time.

August 7th, 2013, 20:48
Thanks all, I'll have to check it out. Time to pry another couple hundred out of the wife's hands for the full VagCom. Like to know what normal EGT is vs. tuned EGT and I'll be able to do that with the VagCom and putting the tune in and out. Out of curiosity, why does the GAIC tune run lean? Doesn't the O2 sensor control the fuel/air mixture? Or does the tune prefer to run it lean for more power? Time for me to learn some more :)

lswing
August 7th, 2013, 20:58
Well worth it to get the good data. I'll get around to sending you some software and instructions, works in conjunction with vag-com, fairly easy...

GIAC runs lean like Revo runs lean. It's really poor judgement or laziness/cheapness on the tuners part to not access the fuel map. You do get more power running lean, but there's no need to run as lean, dangerously lean and performance inhibiting, as these tunes do. O2 does check, but you might have to be really lean for it to cause a fuel dump, like the egt's, they will cause a fuel dump at 2,000F. More likely the O2 will just throw a code for lean (which I will get sometimes) but not actually change fueling.

August 7th, 2013, 21:09
So, I guess I thought that someone that made a "tune" actually accessed the fuel map along with all of the other parameters (EGT,MAF,IAT, etc). This is apparently not true?

lswing
August 7th, 2013, 21:22
My belief is that the "recommended" tunes on here do access the fuel map in the correct fashion. Those being Eurocharged, Viper, EPL, APR...there's good reason why they tend to be $1-2k, as opposed to Revo which is $600.

DHall1
August 7th, 2013, 21:36
its hard to say why some tuners/shop do what they do. But the target a/f is hard code in the fuel delivery map. Period. There is no learning involved in the open loop hard code. Nor will I get into who does what better. There is one GIAC member here that had a good looking data log. The rest including my blown up #2 was garbage. Junk hard code fueling map and way too much boost.

Just check your car by doing the log. Takes 15 minutes. Maybe your car is ok but you will not know till its checked and nobody will do it for you.

And you dont have to pay for quality. EC is less than 500 and Viper is just under 8

Data log 3,31,115 in turbo mode during a 3rd gear pull from 2800 to redline

Imho don't wait for the codes. That is all I will say.

August 7th, 2013, 21:43
its hard to say why some tuners/shop do what they do. But the target a/f is hard code in the fuel delivery map. Period. There is no learning involved in the open loop hard code. Nor will I get into who does what better. There is one GIAC member here that had a good looking data log. The rest including my blown up #2 was garbage. Junk hard code fueling map and way too much boost.

Just check your car by doing the log. Takes 15 minutes. Maybe your car is ok but you will not know till its checked and nobody will do it for you.

And you dont have to pay for quality. EC is less than 500 and Viper is just under 8

I thought the EC $ seemed very very reasonable. Ok...might have to sneak behind the wife's back for this one.....you all are great, thanks for your help. This is an area I know nothing about and I appreciate the help!

lswing
August 7th, 2013, 21:49
Ok...might have to sneak behind the wife's back for this one.....

Well this is to tune the engine up, increase longevity, and increase fuel mileage, sort of...she should be happy!

Dynmicracr
August 7th, 2013, 21:51
Well this is to tune the engine up, increase longevity, and increase fuel mileage, sort of...she should be happy!

What kind of MPG changes do you see with a good tune?

lswing
August 7th, 2013, 22:00
I've heard 1-2mpg depending, have not tracked in my case...a lot of it can be related to the right foot, I dump in a lot of extra fuel under boost, which increases the smiles per gallon.

August 7th, 2013, 22:02

You'd think!! But Thing 2 is mine....and Thing 1 is hers.....what I spend on Thing 1 is great.....what I spend on Thing 2 is....well....wasted!

lswing
August 7th, 2013, 22:12
Sounds like you're eligible for some 2 for 1 pricing...

August 8th, 2013, 00:11
Sounds like you're eligible for some 2 for 1 pricing...

I'm working on the 2 for 1....after all...this is Utah!

alrightroad
August 8th, 2013, 02:28
i'm working on the 2 for 1....after all...this is utah!

lol .....

lswing
August 8th, 2013, 03:24
I'm working on the 2 for 1....after all...this is Utah!

One more thing to run by the wife!

August 8th, 2013, 03:41
One more thing to run by the wife!

Lol.....been working on that a while.....hence the "Thing 1....Thing 2"....I think working out a tune at this point is the least of my issues.... :)