PDA

View Full Version : Big Diesels - The Future?

Erik
July 29th, 2013, 09:09
Hi, hej, hello, Guten Tag, Bonjour...

I haven't done much exciting in terms of cars for some time, and perhaps driving a diesel isn't much to write home about?

However, with Audi winning LeMans in diesels perhaps even a few americans can find some interest?

I had the opportunity to take on the Audi A6 3.0 TDI (V6 Biturbo) for a weekend with a long drive, some 1500 kms.

The car was fully loaded with a lot of options.
We're talking Lane Assist, Radar, Cameras to keep record of the speed limits, Navigation, air suspension etc. On top of this I think the color is special order, RS6 style.
Much to enjoy to say the least.

The highway was crowded so the journey began with a tour on the smaller roads.
As I passed the Audi HQ a red Audi RS5 appeared in my rear view mirror. :hey:

The 3.0 TDI "big diesel" has 313 hp and 650 NM torque. 0 - 100 km/h in about 5.3 secs (never tried).

The RS5 has another 137 hp, and this was apparent, I couldn't lose him, but he was never able to over take me on these roads either. :lovl:

Anyway, average speed was reduced for a while as the RS5 took another exit.

Up on the highway life is very relaxed. The radar which keeps track of cars ahead while on Cruise Control is too sensitive.
This can be changed, but the standard setting is set too far away. It feels as if you can see the car, it starts to slow down, not my style of driving.

The lane assist is nice too, almost feels to safe and I wonder do I really have to be awake or can I just sleep and wake up when we're at the destination?

On our way back home traffic was intense, then the road was free for a while and it continued like this.

A Porsche 991 Carrera 4 Convertible and I started to hike together and took turns at being first.

After a while I was behind him and we had a slower car infront.

The slower car was about to leave the left lane and we had kilometers of free highway infront of us.

The 991 Convertible was driving roof down.

We pressed the accelerator about the same time, I might have been a bit earlier ;) and of course I was slip streaming.

But to my surprise the 991 had no chance I was on his tail all the time, and even had to step of the accelerator to avoid running into him.

As the road became a bit bumpy he had an exciting time in the 991 at 200 km/h+, while we're in total Comfort in the Audi.

He then left the left lane for the faster vehicle and when I tried to give him a thumbs up he looked away, feelings hurt I guess :hihi:

So conclusion I'd say is the 3.0 TDI give you about 80-90% of an RS6 can offer. No it doesn't have the same edge as an RS6 of course.
All this at a very low average consumption. Makes sense to me.

The 991 on the Picture isn't the one I raced.

Not the same car in this link, but gives you an idea http://www.audibloggen.se/audi-a6-avant-3-0-bitdi/

AndyBG
July 29th, 2013, 10:11
Just last night I returned from Hungary F1 GP, and once again had like vise expiriances...

That is something that I encounter very often and simmilar with my Q7 3.0 TDI, of course, it doesn't have that much power as that BiTDI you was driving (240 ps vs 313 ps), but I know what you are talking about.

Todays cars are so high in term of performance and with these speed limits and road configurations you can't really see no difference between, for ex. , A6 3.0 BiTDI or A6 3.0 TFSI and RS 6! You will be in same average speed, you will get in same time where ever you are going, only thing you will get better is fuel economy.

As for the future of "big diesels", I think they will get smaller and smaller, like all engines, and get more economical, yet staying in this performance level, B/C there isn't more place for cars to get faster.

Erik
July 29th, 2013, 13:04
You might get there faster in a diesel than an RS6, as you don't have to stop for fuel all the time ;)

My average that day was around 125-130 km/h. And bear in mind we don't have the free speed Autobahns, so it's not advisable to drive flat out ;)

mik15
July 29th, 2013, 19:16
i agree that the new engines are very good, not to mention the new gearboxes(given that we are on the RS6 forum :) ), i remember when i drove the first twin-turbo diesel launched by BMW on the 5 series E60, that felt like a rocket, so i guess the one from Audi feels much better given the new gearboxes it uses. Even my '12 Golf GTI which is only a 2.0Turbo coupled to a DSG feels fast for a 2L engine, kind of make me think these dinosaurs do come from a long gone era, but they're really special and will always be for me :rs6kiss: and they're definitely fast.

RS6Finn
July 30th, 2013, 08:36
Also, have you noticed that Audi now has the first ever S-model with diesel engine only, the SQ5 TDI:

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/models/q5/sq5-tdi.html

It has the same engine as the A6 you drove with 313 hp, 0 - 100 km/h 5.1 sec, not bad..