PDA

View Full Version : Living in the barracks problems

Greyyork
July 23rd, 2013, 07:01
So some meat head that just came back from KUWAIT of all deployments got super drunk Friday and went around punching and kicking all the higher end cars in the barracks. Damage to my 2003 Audi RS6 includes 2 pencil eraser sized dents in the drivers door, a small scratch passenger door about 2 inches in length semi deep, and the bottom molding of the drivers side door. The guy hasn't been caught and most likely won't. I've never had dents or scratches in ANY of my cars, so does anyone has any DIY remedies from small dents and scratches? The molding looks like he broke the plastic molding of the screw that attaches the molding to the door. Any help guidance will be much appreciated. Thanks!

mdegracia
July 23rd, 2013, 13:29
Equip each affected owner with a sock and bar of soap would be a good start...

Paint correction is not always easy. If you can feel the scratch with the edge of your nail, then its too deep to remove without body work. Body work never comes out perfect, unless you are replacing with new panels and paint and IMO, Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) sucks, don't waste your money.

lswing
July 23rd, 2013, 15:44
Ugh, that sucks, insurance claim for full repaint and body work, get a few used panels if needed, they're out there...

Most importantly know your body shop will do it right! Figure jackasses do that in lots around here on occassion.

I escaped disaster after a full size Dodge Ram backed into me last month, no trailer hitch luckily, so 4" scratch a bumper barely bent, getting respray and alignment now. Shop has the Mugello Blue perfect from what I've seen.

DHall1
July 23rd, 2013, 15:44
Paintless dent repair by a true expert comes out perfect. Get what you pay for.

Equip each affected owner with a sock and bar of soap would be a good start...

Paint correction is not always easy. If you can feel the scratch with the edge of your nail, then its too deep to remove without body work. Body work never comes out perfect, unless you are replacing with new panels and paint and IMO, Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) sucks, don't waste your money.

lswing
July 23rd, 2013, 15:48
Paintless dent repair by a true expert comes out perfect. Get what you pay for.

Yep, I pay more, but the guy won't let the car out unless perfect, of course he spends hours and costs a few hundred more. Whenever I pickup a car from him he insists "tell me if you see anything", like new.

Dynmicracr
July 23rd, 2013, 17:31
Absolutely. Good paintless dent repair in CA runs from around 80 to 120 a dent, depending on the size. If they know what they are doing you will never know it happened. If its on a bend though things can get tricky.

Jimmy
July 23rd, 2013, 21:40
Semi-weird, I know of someone local here who vandalized cars while stationed in Germany in the early 90s...he was caught and dis-honorably discharged. He never told anyone when he came home but the truth came out and now no car dudes want anything to do with him to this day. I hope they catch that jack-bag and all the folks affected get re-imbursed for the damages he did. Get a good dent removal guy; it's always better to not have to bondo and paint a nice car if possible. But if the scratch is too deep to be buffed and smoothed out then a panel or 2 with paint shouldn't be a big deal. That sucks tho...I feel your frustration/bum-ness bro !! Thank you for your service to our country btw.

ttboost
July 24th, 2013, 17:18
I would spend the rest of my tour looking for that steaming pile of sh*t, and give him a few dents. Must be video somewhere...

mdegracia
July 25th, 2013, 18:48
Glad people have had good luck with PDR, i haven't. Guess it all comes down to the characteristics of the dent and location. I am anal about body work, so maybe I am more nit-picky...