PDA

View Full Version : New Houston owner - 2003 RS6 (yay!)

houstonfox
July 15th, 2013, 22:41
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and just picked up a bargain 2003 RS6 C5 with 80k on the clock. Just wanted to get some advice from you guys on where to start with the mods/improvements and any recommendations on places to take her for work (service and more!) that are nearby. For tuning/mods, I don't mind a bit of a drive (e.g. Austin) but would like a local place too.

Thanks in advance!

lswing
July 15th, 2013, 23:08
Very nice, welcome, and pics please! Getting a tune is a great start. Seems like Viper and Euro are great for the price, APR for a more cash. Also the MTM, or VIPER tcu tune for better shifting. You could gut cats, bigger inter-coolers, water/meth, remove DRC suspension and upgrade that, there's a good list here...

Getting a vag-com cable and software from Ross-Tech is about the best thing you can do first, lets you diagnose issues at home.

ben916
July 16th, 2013, 01:05
get a warranty first, before mods...

bmwade
July 16th, 2013, 05:00

Not much use in a warranty if you ditch the DRC and slushbox ;)

Other_Erik
July 16th, 2013, 13:09
Did you pick up that Goodwood Green one I spotted on eBay out of Humble, TX? If so, you may want to read up on the GIAC chip, and why you should IMMEDIATELY look into getting a different tune.

houstonfox
July 16th, 2013, 15:49
Very nice, welcome, and pics please! Getting a tune is a great start. Seems like Viper and Euro are great for the price, APR for a more cash. Also the MTM, or VIPER tcu tune for better shifting. You could gut cats, bigger inter-coolers, water/meth, remove DRC suspension and upgrade that, there's a good list here...

Getting a vag-com cable and software from Ross-Tech is about the best thing you can do first, lets you diagnose issues at home.

Thanks! Pics to follow, I only have a couple at the moment. I've heard that the Eurotune and the MTM are the things to go for as well as the upgrade to coilover from DRC (KWs?). Used to have a Shelby GT500 so I'd like a nice exhaust again - best thing about that car... :music:

Any recommendation on warranty or if I get mods, will they still honour it?

houstonfox
July 16th, 2013, 15:57
Did you pick up that Goodwood Green one I spotted on eBay out of Humble, TX? If so, you may want to read up on the GIAC chip, and why you should IMMEDIATELY look into getting a different tune.

No, it's a Silver Pearl one that I got from (ahem) Texas Direct Auto...

Just need a good place to take her now to look after her!

LIRS6
July 16th, 2013, 16:23
Congrats - looks to be in great condition. Suspension riding a touch high - replacing the DRC will take care of that. Play with it a bit, then decide what mods you may want. Add Hotchkiss sway bars to the list. Enjoy!

ben916
July 16th, 2013, 17:36
Not much use in a warranty if you ditch the DRC and slushbox ;)

very true BUT one crack in the oil cooler coolant tube = engine pull ($5300) practically pays for itself right there...

Warranty = Fidelity -> your mileage is low enough that it shouldn't be too bad. They will scan it. Done

Chung
July 16th, 2013, 18:20
very true BUT one crack in the oil cooler coolant tube = engine pull ($5300) practically pays for itself right there...

Warranty = Fidelity -> your mileage is low enough that it shouldn't be too bad. They will scan it. Done

I got mine fixed for $1200, a steal of a deal to replace a $10 part.

ben916
July 16th, 2013, 19:51
I got mine fixed for $1200, a steal of a deal to replace a $10 part.

nice!

the warranty company picked up all but $200 so I was good with that.

DHall1
July 17th, 2013, 01:07
You're in Texas close to Eurocharge. That would be my first choice. Actually, since your right there and can go in the shop if ever needed that should be the only choice.

Warranty will allow mods until the point where abuse comes into play. I would opt for the service contract. (I just had a 10k trans installed in mine.)

Thanks! Pics to follow, I only have a couple at the moment. I've heard that the Eurotune and the MTM are the things to go for as well as the upgrade to coilover from DRC (KWs?). Used to have a Shelby GT500 so I'd like a nice exhaust again - best thing about that car... :music:

Any recommendation on warranty or if I get mods, will they still honour it?

houstonfox
November 1st, 2013, 19:10

Update!

Thanks for advice all, most appreciated, no mods done as of yet but loving the car. I took in for service today and I need a new battery (quoted $500 by dealer!!), also they found oil leaking from both the gaskets and quoted me $5 grand!!! Yowser.

I'm getting a warranty now - thanks Ben! - which I've been meaning to do for a while and Fidelity/Carchex have quoted my $4200 for 3 years/36,000 miles.

Still reading the site but not had too much to post recently. Really been thinking hard about suspension to replace the DRC and really had my eye on a KW suspension and Milltek exhausts (plus tune). Ah well, maybe next year. This plus trying to buy a house is killing me!

lswing
November 2nd, 2013, 21:36
I went with a small optima battery, super light and cranks decent, around $100. Find a good indy shop, guessing the gaskets will be about half that much. Sounds like you can wait until something else needs work. The Koni yellows are a great budget strut, use stock springs, bit lower and great ride, around $1250 with labor depending. Great exhaust options that sound good for a fraction of the price...

G2
November 3rd, 2013, 02:29
Congrats and welcome aboard. Get all the service caught up, including changing all driveline fluids. It'll need it, badly. I change my engine oil at 3,500 to 5K miles (depending on time of year and how it's driven). Want the turbos to live....

OE battery is big bucks, but $250 ought to do it (VARTA is an excellent euro brand). I could see a shop charging 3/4hr or more to replace. Optima's are great too-- mounting issues maybe?

First "mod"? Air filters. K&N makes them. Noticeable improvement. Put good brake pads on. The OE or aftermarket pads most shops use are crap-- even the good ones. Awesome brakes hindered by blah pads. Personaly experience....

Your car has the stock non "sound enchancing" exhaust. Chrome tips vs black. We put a Billy Boat exhaust on a S5 this summer. My car is next, but the SE pipes are pretty decent all around.

Service: make some calls, see who regularly works on the V8's. Not a huge transition for a well versed certified tech that likes these machines.

GT 500 is the best driving "american" car I've driven. German engine and trans, Italian brakes. Firm steering. And alsmost 600whp (with intake, pulley, tune). But an uprated RS6 should hang with it.

Fun stuff.

November 5th, 2013, 02:40

I guess I need to check this out...Thing 2 has 192k on the clock...with a GAIC tune....

November 5th, 2013, 02:48
OE battery is big bucks, but $250 ought to do it (VARTA is an excellent euro brand). I could see a shop charging 3/4hr or more to replace. Optima's are great too-- mounting issues maybe?

Wal Mart....$110 tops....yes, you have to drill, tap, and change the aft mount, but I'll do that all day long for the difference.

lswing
November 5th, 2013, 04:19
I guess I need to check this out...Thing 2 has 192k on the clock...with a GAIC tune....

GIAC tends to run lean I do believe...I can send you ME7.1.1 software to dump some more fuel in if you like, easy....just connect with VAGCOM then software can connect, will help, and probably make it a touch faster...

November 5th, 2013, 05:14
GIAC tends to run lean I do believe...I can send you ME7.1.1 software to dump some more fuel in if you like, easy....just connect with VAGCOM then software can connect, will help, and probably make it a touch faster...

Sign me up!!

houstonfox
November 5th, 2013, 21:41
Hey guys, thanks (as always) for the advice. So I got DIY over the weekend and did the battery myself in the end and had no issues. Starts beautifully again after the service and new battery, no issues with ECU or even things like radio etc. I'll check out the Koni struts when I free up some time/cash.

lswing - thanks for recommend - I've also seen the FSD / EIBACH KIT http://www.koni-na.com/fsdeibach.cfm as well. How do they compare to the KWs?

G2 - Thanks! First thing I did was K&N and I can tell the difference, a good cheap upgrade. Any recommendation on the brake pads? GT500 was fun but not as practical...or Quattro!!

I also think I have found a couple of good shops to go to now around Houston. I've been doing some research, so I may not know how to do it (or have the space - apartment living :( ) but I think I know enough to sound people out. One guy - BARTuning has got a photo gallery of all his work and one project/car was an RS6. He's got great reviews. Another is Mayco Automotive and a friend of a friend have used them a lot. I've also got a petrolhead friend with an E55 so I trust him a lot too.

alrightroad
November 6th, 2013, 00:05
I went with a small optima battery, super light and cranks decent, around $100. Find a good indy shop, guessing the gaskets will be about half that much. Sounds like you can wait until something else needs work. The Koni yellows are a great budget strut, use stock springs, bit lower and great ride, around $1250 with labor depending. Great exhaust options that sound good for a fraction of the price...

which model optima did you go with? I assume yellow but which part num? thanks.

lswing
November 6th, 2013, 00:42
My bad, it's the Odyssey PC925T....almost 100% sure on that model number.

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/batteries/pc925_series.htm

Beardown1
November 6th, 2013, 16:39
Hey Houstonfox.......that is funny.......I now own that Daytona Grey RS6 from BarTuning. Just had it shipped up from Houston a few months ago. Great car so far!!

houstonfox
November 7th, 2013, 19:45
Hey Beardown1, that's classic. Glad to hear it is working well. Heard he was a great guy to deal with too? What work did he do vs you?

Beardown1
November 12th, 2013, 19:53
Sorry for the delay......still cant use my ipad on this site very well. My understanding is that he owned it awhile back and then sold it to another guy in Houston 4-5 years ago. I then purchased it. I know that BarTuning did the chip upgrade and some other goodies (I have receipts from guy I just bought from.) All I have done is go back to Bosch DV's as the APR's sounded like a flock of geese under the hood. I also replaced some vac lines with red silicone and I replaced the N80 valve.

Enjoy your Beast!!!