PDA

View Full Version : Aamco Torque Converter

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 16:24
I am having some issues with my warranty company. They don't want to pay Audi to replace my torque converter because Aamco will warranty the torque converter AND the transmission. Audi will only warranty the TC. Aamco also will warranty it for lots longer than Audi. These are the facts, but I am still a little worried about Aamco working on my baby. Anyone else have any concerns about Aamco doing the work? I just want it repair properly. How soon after the TC going will my transmission go? Help!!

Chung
July 15th, 2013, 17:12
I would totally have concerns, not necessarily on the transmission but taking it apart and putting it back together. There are a lot of posts here on the forum where the car goes in for a routine job and comes out worse. The transmission is not a routine job. If they are ok with a non-audi place why not a independent shop (aka Tozo)?

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 17:27
In a word. NO

In two words. He%% NO

There is no chance on this green earth that Aamco can put a TC in any RS6 and not have major workmanship issues. Major

Please post your last 4 VIN. 43XX or 57XX

What are the symptoms again and why the TC? There is a very good chance you will need the whole trans. Ask me how I know.

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 17:58
4362, last 4. The light came on with the code for the TC. Also when driving at highway speed I want to accelerate and it clunks, but not under full acceleration and not under soft, just when I accelerate heavy up to that part right before the passing gear. Thoughts? Also they want aamco to do it because they give a 3 year warranty, Audi only gives 1.

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 18:02
You need the whole trans. Sorry about that.

I just went thru it. TC first then the whole trans.

The key is the bang. She is toast and my exact symptoms.

My #3 is also early vin 43xx with 40k.

What is your mileage

4362, last 4. The light came on with the code for the TC. Also when driving at highway speed I want to accelerate and it clunks, but not under full acceleration and not under soft, just when I accelerate heavy up to that part right before the passing gear. Thoughts? Also they want aamco to do it because they give a 3 year warranty, Audi only gives 1.

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 18:04
92k, higher. Wonder why there hasn't been a code for the transmission.

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 18:08
It would have coded slip very soon.

Dont let anyone install just the TC.

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 18:12
What would happen if they only replace the TC?

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 18:53
They would have to turn around in the next day or week to replace the trans.

What would happen if they only replace the TC?

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 18:58
Is there a way to rebuild the transmission, or does it need a new unit from Audi? And does anyone has a reason why Aamco shouldn't work on it?

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 19:01
Depending on your location. I would pay the out of pocket difference to take it Tozo if possible.

Or if the location were too far away. I would pay the difference for a complete trans from Audi. Even if the warranty company only covered the TC and part of the labor. I would out of pocket the difference for the whole trans.

At 90k with those symptoms. You need a complete trans and yes it can be rebuilt but not by Aamco.

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 19:04
Yeah, open your hood and take a peek at how packed this driveline is in the chassis. There are about 1,250 reasons not to let your typical Aamco jockey even touch this car.

There is a reason Audi only allowed master certified techs to even touch this car.

But in the end its your car. Good luck

Is there a way to rebuild the transmission, or does it need a new unit from Audi? And does anyone has a reason why Aamco shouldn't work on it?

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 19:13
I wish it was that easy, the warranty company won't pay the money for Audi to work on it, and they don't like that Audi doesn't give more than a year warranty. I really am wondering why I got a warranty. But Audi did stay it was going to cost $7200 to repair, just the TC, Aamco was only $4500.

Jimmy
July 15th, 2013, 19:25
What warranty company do you have? Around here Aamco is on par with Pep Boys service which isn't saying alot. Maybe the one near you has an Audi transmission expert ? I'd be worried sick if Aamco had my car for anything. ... Just my 2 useless cents.

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 19:35
I don't want them to have it, but EFG Companies (my warranty company) seems to think its ok to repair my car. I have no choice in the matter.

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 19:45
Where are you located? What contract do you have?

7200 is a crock for just the TC

4500 is a crock for just the TC

Tozo is all in for 5000 parts and labor for a complete trans reman with TC. My Audi bill was 9k for the whole trans and TC that was covered 100% by my contract.

I wish it was that easy, the warranty company won't pay the money for Audi to work on it, and they don't like that Audi doesn't give more than a year warranty. I really am wondering why I got a warranty. But Audi did stay it was going to cost $7200 to repair, just the TC, Aamco was only $4500.

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 19:49
There is always a choice. Read the contract. Take the 4500 to Tozo for a complete rebuild. He will tear it down and show them the damage which was all caused by the blown TC seal.

I don't want them to have it, but EFG Companies (my warranty company) seems to think its ok to repair my car. I have no choice in the matter.

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 19:50
They want a warranty. Been over the contract over and over again. Been on the phone for hours and hours. I just don't know what else to do.

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 20:05
http://photobucket.com/albums/w506/thesensors

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 20:07
I have the platinum plan. I am pretty sure that the warranty company holds the right to pick the shop that fixes it.

marklar182
July 15th, 2013, 20:33
I have the platinum plan. I am pretty sure that the warranty company holds the right to pick the shop that fixes it.

No, they do not. They just stipulate the facility be ASE certified.

It looks like you just got the car, sounds like you got sold a car with a trans going out. Pretty common.

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 21:30
Where are you located?

How much time is left on the service contract?

Tell them you will sign a release but want the repairs completed at the expert of your choice.

Get the whole trans done and sign the release past 12/12. IMHO

They want a warranty. Been over the contract over and over again. Been on the phone for hours and hours. I just don't know what else to do.

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 22:03
If your located in the NE there is 517 transmissions.

Take the car there. Demand teardown of trans to inspect and they will find the fwd drum and clutches smoked due to the loss of line pressure when the TC went bad. You must get the transmission fixed now or they will deny the clutches later. The loss of line pressure from the bad TC caused the internal damage in the trans. That is how you get it covered.

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 22:25
In down here in Orlando. This company is pretty set on having Aamco to do it. Not much I can do, trying my best.

Chung
July 15th, 2013, 22:26
Does AAMCO say they can actually take apart and put together a RS6?

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 22:32
Yeah, they say they can, should be interesting to see how they do.

Chung
July 15th, 2013, 22:37
Do they know you need to remove the engine? Maybe compromise, have AAMCO rebuild the trans and tc but have audi remove and install it.

lswing
July 15th, 2013, 23:10
Yeah, they say they can, should be interesting to see how they do.

You might get a car back on a trailer, seriously, this thing is amazingly complex. Hundred new things could go wrong if they miss little details.

Tozo does and excellent rebuild. My indie shop put his trans in plus tc for around $6-7k...

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 23:23
It's toast.

SensoRS6
July 15th, 2013, 23:26
At this point I would be happy if Aamco couldn't put it back together, and had to ask the Audi dealership to do it.

DHall1
July 15th, 2013, 23:58
That's not going to happen. Aamco will get it stuffed back in but the car will never work the same.

Lots of pointing fingers later and many a lawyers fees paid and you still won't have an RS6 to drive.

Pretty much how it could shake down.

bmwade
July 16th, 2013, 00:18

Yikes, when I took mine to Audi the shop manager said that the warranty company would probably send someone out to look at the car, then called the next day and said that they went ahead and authorized the TC replacement with no questions but would only pay $100 and hour for labor, so I had to pay $35 an hour on TC replacement....they did manage to work with me some since I had the timing belt done at the same time. I think I basically got away with $35 an hour on full service too!

SensoRS6
July 16th, 2013, 00:45
At first they wanted more proof than the dealership telling them it needed to be replaced. So they sent out the inspector, the inspector approved it, but they don't want to pay the extra money.

July 16th, 2013, 00:47
Does AAMCO warrantry the turbo's after they ef em up cause they forgot a line? Does AAMCO warranty the starter after they forget a bolt and the starter won't engage a year later (ha! ask me how I know).....If you can swallow the shipping take it to Tozo....I had a guy here do mine...I was his first, and probably his last...RS. He got it, and was incredibly patient and I helped with tech advice, but I know he lost his ass on it....

Dear god even my wife is laughing her ass off.....yea they offer a 3 year warranty, because that's how long your RS will be there!

SensoRS6
July 16th, 2013, 00:51
Aamco will only cover the stuff it replaces, luckily my warranty will cover anything else, at least I can hope. Anyone got a lawyer that can look at my contract?

ttboost
July 16th, 2013, 02:50
This looks like a nightmare...I think if Aamco does it, you will be doing it again soon...and that warranty company will accuse you of abusing it...

lswing
July 16th, 2013, 04:06
Aamco will only cover the stuff it replaces, luckily my warranty will cover anything else, at least I can hope. Anyone got a lawyer that can look at my contract?

There is no luck or hope, do it right or you won't be driving this car for years....and after that out $10k easy if anything goes wrong, seriously I dropped $15k in two years to restore my car, with top parts and excellent mechanic.

Just hate to see you get in a bad spot, folks posting here know all to well...

papadoc
July 16th, 2013, 05:05
If you Google "AAMCO complaints" you will see why you should avoid this option. As I understand it, anyone replacing the transmission at an Audi dealership will only get a one year warranty, and only independent shops will give a longer one. However, hopefully you can trust the work and parts if done by Audi, if you have a good dealer nearby. I would consider making a deal with your warranty company that has them pay for the TC and transmission via Audi, then noting that you are no longer covered for transmission repairs. A new transmission should easily last for more than 3 years unless you totally abuse it, so you should be safe. But as everyone here says, don't go to a shop that will have no idea how to put your car back together properly.

SensoRS6
July 16th, 2013, 11:45
This looks like a nightmare...I think if Aamco does it, you will be doing it again soon...and that warranty company will accuse you of abusing it...

It feels like a nightmare.

ttboost
July 16th, 2013, 13:11
To help put this in better light, I will shamefully tell a story...
Last year, I was late for an oil change and feeling lazy, so I pulled into my local Valvoline oil change place. I didn't get in line, but instead, went inside to ask them if they had ever changed the oil in a RS6 and could they. Yes yes yes was all they could say, are you sure? Yes yes yes...10 minutes of this, I caved and let them pull it in... An hour and forty five minutes later I was on my way. They charged me the regular oil change price, begged for my forgiveness and asked that I NEVER bring this car there again. I doubt this Aamco has ever seen the underside of a RS6, and when they do, it will be a war between them and the insurance company, and you might be without your car for a while....I sincerely hope I am wrong. Good Luck with whatever you do.

SteveKen
July 16th, 2013, 13:49
In my opinion, you can buy a lift, nice set of tools and a beater to drive around in for the price of an aftermarket warranty.

When buying from a used dealer, I'd rather decline any extended warranty and pay less for the car. I'd also know 100% what I'm buying.

Is there any way you can prove that the seller (I'm assuming it was a dealer) sold you the car knowing that it had a trans issue? If so then I'd be raising hell.

Just let Aamco do it and keep your fingers crossed. Make sure you keep everything well documented if things go south, though.

"If you want a warranty, buy a toaster." Clint Eastwood in 'The Rookie'

Chung
July 16th, 2013, 17:20
How much does AAMCO want for the job? Also what warranty company is this? I thought most aftermarket warranty companies just made you use the dealer.

SensoRS6
July 16th, 2013, 17:27
I think Aamco is charging about $4k for just the Torque converter. My Warranty Company is EFG Companies, stay away from them. I wish they would only let me take it to the dealership.

Chung
July 16th, 2013, 18:08
You really need to stick to your guns here. Maybe call Audi and have them state that AAMCO is not qualified to work on the car. You may also ask to see proof that they have worked on the car in the past. Once you do that use the BBB to lodge a complaint. They respond to BBB complaints and have a A+ rating. Basically become a thorn in their side until they agree. Also check with your state's consumer protection as well as insurance commissioner to see if they can help. Does your contract say they get to pick the shop for the repairs? Don't go down without a fight.

SensoRS6
July 16th, 2013, 18:32
I put a copy of my contract on here. I might need to lodge a complaint. Not sure if there is anything in Florida that would protect me.

Chung
July 16th, 2013, 18:40
Well I am not going to read your contract but I would find the section that says where the repairs get done and see if it is legible to mere mortals. You may luck out and that AAMCO does a terrific job but you may also end up with the most unreliable car ever.

marklar182
July 16th, 2013, 19:30
You can take it to any ASE certified mechanic, your warranty company will just only pay whatever hourly labor rate they have set for your area and you eat the difference.

Talk to Audi and they will cut you a deal I bet. You could even have them send your converter off to ACE/Edge Racing for rebuild after removal. Audi could do the labor for $4k easy and then $5-600 for the TC rebuild. Done.

Be aware, even if you have a new or rebuilt TC installed, your trans will die soon.......

SensoRS6
July 16th, 2013, 19:44
They hold the right to choose what parts even. I think I might be screwed.

DHall1
July 17th, 2013, 00:23
The trans is already dead. It has the death clunk on kickdown accel. fwd drum is toast.
You can take it to any ASE certified mechanic, your warranty company will just only pay whatever hourly labor rate they have set for your area and you eat the difference.

Talk to Audi and they will cut you a deal I bet. You could even have them send your converter off to ACE/Edge Racing for rebuild after removal. Audi could do the labor for $4k easy and then $5-600 for the TC rebuild. Done.

Be aware, even if you have a new or rebuilt TC installed, your trans will die soon.......

papadoc
July 17th, 2013, 00:40
The trans is already dead. It has the death clunk on kickdown accel. fwd drum is toast.
Completely agree. Doing the TC only would be a waste and you'll be back in the shop soon. You'd likely get in a death spiral with your warranty company refusing to pay for the transmission thinking the TC repair was botched and the repair shop, whoever it is, refusing to agree to that charge. Do it right the first time.

nistah
July 17th, 2013, 00:56
I think Aamco is charging about $4k for just the Torque converter. My Warranty Company is EFG Companies, stay away from them. I wish they would only let me take it to the dealership.

I had EFG platinum service contract on my RS6 and they covered a Transmission replacement at a cost of approx. $9,000 all I paid was $100 deductible. I am guessing that after my claim they may have red flagged the contracts they had outstanding on RS6's. In any event I was able to use my preferred independent, Drive Autoworks in NJ did the job and dealt with EFG so I had a smooth experience. My first claim with the EFG contract was done at Audi dealer but as someone else stated the EFG contract only pays $100 an hour service and audi dealer was charging $120 so they expect you to foot the bill for the diff, Also when audi dealer did my starter the dealer wanted 4 or 5 hours labor and the warranty co would only pay on 3 hours so again they wanted me to gap up the diff so I negotiated a compromise with the Audi dealer.....all in EFG paid out over $17,000 in claims on my RS6 hehe lol:lovl:

bmwade
July 17th, 2013, 01:04
Where are you in FL? Take your car to Jacksonville. The dealer there just did mine a few months back and did a terrific job. I drove 5 hours from the panhandle because I have heard bad things from people with A4's and such about the dealer in Mobile. Just went and looked up bill. It was $5,104 for the TC replacement and transmission service, as I said earlier I only had to pay difference between allowed labor charge and what Audi was charging. Well worth it especially since there are supposedly 2 other RS6's that they work on in addition to mine...

DHall1
July 17th, 2013, 01:09
I'm sitting at $17000 this month.

But I have my car back and its perfect. Smile is back on my face

Doh

I had EFG platinum service contract on my RS6 and they covered a Transmission replacement at a cost of approx. $9,000 all I paid was $100 deductible. I am guessing that after my claim they may have red flagged the contracts they had outstanding on RS6's. In any event I was able to use my preferred independent, Drive Autoworks in NJ did the job and dealt with EFG so I had a smooth experience. My first claim with the EFG contract was done at Audi dealer but as someone else stated the EFG contract only pays $100 an hour service and audi dealer was charging $120 so they expect you to foot the bill for the diff, Also when audi dealer did my starter the dealer wanted 4 or 5 hours labor and the warranty co would only pay on 3 hours so again they wanted me to gap up the diff so I negotiated a compromise with the Audi dealer.....all in EFG paid out over $17,000 in claims on my RS6 hehe lol:lovl:

SensoRS6
July 17th, 2013, 15:39

Who did you speak to at EFG? I would love to go to them with proof that they have used Audi before for this same problem, so they have no leg to stand on.

SensoRS6
July 17th, 2013, 18:09
I WON!!! EFG is getting Audi to do the TC, and if the transmissions needs doing, then AAMCO will do it. But Audi will do doing all of the removal and installing!!

SensoRS6
July 17th, 2013, 18:21
And through all of this Audi North Orlando has been amazing, go to them with everything, Simon is awesome!!

lswing
July 17th, 2013, 18:29
I WON!!! EFG is getting Audi to do the TC, and if the transmissions needs doing, then AAMCO will do it. But Audi will do doing all of the removal and installing!!

Glad to hear it!

But you should be aware of a few things still.

As mentioned, your trans is shot, no doubt I would say, so if put the car back together with just a new TC, you're going to have to pull it apart to fix the trans.

Trans codes seem to be hard to get, my trans was spinning and clunking, barely drivable, never got a single code.

You need it rebuilt now, question is, can aamco handle just the rebuild, it's like a standard zf1, maybe so? But someone like Tozo can get you upgraded parts and upgrade many little details, plus do a better job I'm sure.

Hope it keeps going good, best of luck there!

Personally, if they won't fix the trans now, they might never, so I'd be tempted to drop the $3500 out of pocket for a Tozo rebuild.

marklar182
July 17th, 2013, 20:55
Have Audi reevaluate the car for possible trans failure before they tear it apart........

SensoRS6
July 17th, 2013, 21:50
Have Audi reevaluate the car for possible trans failure before they tear it apart........

Still waiting to hear what they say about the transmission. Hopefully soon.

DHall1
July 17th, 2013, 23:03
+10000 and then some.

nistah
July 18th, 2013, 00:17
Who did you speak to at EFG? I would love to go to them with proof that they have used Audi before for this same problem, so they have no leg to stand on.
I never spoke to anyone @ EFG , I just brought the car to the shop of my choice for service / repair and made the service advisor aware that the car has an extended warranty via EFG and had the shops service advisor deal with the EFG warranty folks, that's one headache I'm glad I avoided sounds like EFG is difficult to deal with. I had EFG's MAPS warranty product. Good luck with your TC & Tranny seems like every RS6 has this issue sooner or later....

DHall1
July 21st, 2013, 17:09
What is the news on trans. Did Audi confirm its slipping

Still waiting to hear what they say about the transmission. Hopefully soon.

SensoRS6
July 21st, 2013, 17:27
Nothing yet. It took so long to get the warranty company to even let Audi look at it, that Audi had to squeeze it in for me. I am hoping to hear something tomorrow. I also asked them, and haven't heard yet, on whether they could just use a rebuild kit. I am hoping they rebuild it for me and the warranty company pays.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZF5HP24A-TRANSMISSION-REBUILD-KIT-CLUTCH-PACK-F-PISTON-DRUM-1995-2006-AUDI-VW-/251296378715?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2003%7CMake%3AAudi%7CModel%3ARS6&hash=item3a826e6f5b&vxp=mtr)

What is the news on trans. Did Audi confirm its slipping

SensoRS6
July 21st, 2013, 18:05
Do you all think it would save me money and a good idea to have Audi do the timing belt and water pump while they are in there doing the TC? Because this is an Engine Out procedure, right?

lswing
July 21st, 2013, 18:31
No engine out for Timing Belt, not sure about pump.

Good question, I'd have the service done if I was in the 7,500k range of needing it, but I only drive about 5k per year.

DHall1
July 21st, 2013, 21:34
Yes, the labor is less than 1/2 since you have the engine out. (much easier to do this work)

But, only if it needs done. What is the history of last belt? and exactly what idlers and rollers were replaced? There are 4 total.

Do you all think it would save me money and a good idea to have Audi do the timing belt and water pump while they are in there doing the TC? Because this is an Engine Out procedure, right?

G2
July 22nd, 2013, 02:25
[QUOTE=DHall1;250836]

What is the relevance of the VIN ranges? Are there specific problems to them?
Thanks for any info.

lswing
July 22nd, 2013, 04:13
Dave and others are thinking below xx500 were earlier and problems corrected since...I believe...seems to be in that ballpark so far...

DHall1
July 22nd, 2013, 05:04
Theory that the TC seal was updated at some point during late RS6 production.

I have owned a very late production 57xx for over 5 years. From 20k to 45k and zero trans problems ever from new. Car not stock. ;)

I have also owned 2 early production 43xx and 44xx RS6s and both have exploded transmissions at 40k. TC goes then takes trans with it. The second car/my #3 is as pristine as a pristine car can be. Bone stock and lived in a mild socal climate its entire life.

[QUOTE=DHall1;250836]

What is the relevance of the VIN ranges? Are there specific problems to them?
Thanks for any info.

marklar182
July 22nd, 2013, 13:36
My 5511 is holding up well @ 103K, no history of any trans work/service. (I have full service history)

lswing
July 22nd, 2013, 15:18
My 5511 is holding up well @ 103K, no history of any trans work/service. (I have full service history)

Dang impressive...tuned at what mileage? Guessing you drive in plenty of heat, reasonable on the throttle? Great to hear though...

marklar182
July 22nd, 2013, 15:25
Dang impressive...tuned at what mileage? Guessing you drive in plenty of heat, reasonable on the throttle? Great to hear though...

Tuned @ 75K

Yes, car sees plenty of heat here in TX. I am very easy on the car, very few hard launches, mainly just open it up for passing or a burst on the tollways.

lswing
July 22nd, 2013, 15:32
I am very easy on the car, very few hard launches, mainly just open it up for passing or a burst on the tollways.

I'm in the same boat, mix in some good country drives here too. User error attributes to many problems, as with anything the more you work it, greater the wear. Keep it up!

DHall1
July 22nd, 2013, 17:02
Bada bing. Its no accident that these late VIN cars are not having trans problems.

Papadoc was another late VIN OE owner that lasted to 120k or so and he was tuned from early on.

I got a hunch its very late VINs like 53xx or 54xx and post that have the updated TC. These cars were built late year in 03 like Sept/03 - Dec/03. They should have been titled as 2004 but for the US market our EPA closed the doors on the RS6 at 03.

And a funny side note. If you look at our VIN tag it says the manufacturer is (QUATTRO GMBH) Has anyone else noticed this?

mik15
July 22nd, 2013, 17:54
mine was a July 2003 production and registered as a 2004 model, however it did have the TC issue around 50-60K and it does say Quattro GMBH manufactured...

Dynmicracr
July 22nd, 2013, 19:58
Bada bing. Its no accident that these late VIN cars are not having trans problems.

Papadoc was another late VIN OE owner that lasted to 120k or so and he was tuned from early on.

I got a hunch its very late VINs like 53xx or 54xx and post that have the updated TC. These cars were built late year in 03 like Sept/03 - Dec/03. They should have been titled as 2004 but for the US market our EPA closed the doors on the RS6 at 03.

And a funny side note. If you look at our VIN tag it says the manufacturer is (QUATTRO GMBH) Has anyone else noticed this?

I assume you are going off the last 4 of the VIN? Mine is 5708 yet you say 53XX and 54XX. Does that mean mine is very late and could be a good thing?

DHall1
July 22nd, 2013, 20:59
Exactly.

My #1 is 57xx and has been perfect from day one. No trans issues at all.

Can you post up your specs with mileage and ever any known transmission/TC issues?

I assume you are going off the last 4 of the VIN? Mine is 5708 yet you say 53XX and 54XX. Does that mean mine is very late and could be a good thing?

Ms_RS6
July 22nd, 2013, 21:18
My car had 122k miles when the transmission was replaced. It was slipping really bad then. I do not do hard launches. It has had a tune since I bought the car when it had 39k miles. Last four of my VIN start with 57... So now I have a new trans and sent my torque converter to ACE at the same time. :)

DHall1
July 22nd, 2013, 22:12
Another data point. These very late VIN cars have had the TC/trans survive to over 100k even with tunes.

IMHO I would have no problem rebuilding the trans every 120k given the hp and performance output of this platform. Doing it every 40k? I have a problem with that sort of mileage.

Ms_RS6 can you send me your VIN via PM? I would be the keeper of the US spec VIN master list. All owner info kept private.

My car had 122k miles when the transmission was replaced. It was slipping really bad then. I do not do hard launches. It has had a tune since I bought the car when it had 39k miles. Last four of my VIN start with 57... So now I have a new trans and sent my torque converter to ACE at the same time. :)

July 23rd, 2013, 00:10
To help put this in better light, I will shamefully tell a story...
Last year, I was late for an oil change and feeling lazy, so I pulled into my local Valvoline oil change place. I didn't get in line, but instead, went inside to ask them if they had ever changed the oil in a RS6 and could they. Yes yes yes was all they could say, are you sure? Yes yes yes...10 minutes of this, I caved and let them pull it in... An hour and forty five minutes later I was on my way. They charged me the regular oil change price, begged for my forgiveness and asked that I NEVER bring this car there again. I doubt this Aamco has ever seen the underside of a RS6, and when they do, it will be a war between them and the insurance company, and you might be without your car for a while....I sincerely hope I am wrong. Good Luck with whatever you do.

LMFAO...if you don't know enough to say "no"...you don't know...

lswing
July 23rd, 2013, 03:01
IMHO I would have no problem rebuilding the trans every 120k given the hp and performance output of this platform.

100% agree....I might have made it to 100k or more but the folks I bought it from had been driving with the TC shot for who knows how long...

July 23rd, 2013, 04:04
I put a copy of my contract on here. I might need to lodge a complaint. Not sure if there is anything in Florida that would protect me.

Stand your ground!! Ooops....

Dynmicracr
July 23rd, 2013, 17:16
Exactly.

My #1 is 57xx and has been perfect from day one. No trans issues at all.

Can you post up your specs with mileage and ever any known transmission/TC issues?

I have 80K on the clock now. To the best of my knowledge the trans has never been replaced.

No mods and I tend to respect the transmission knowing its a weak point. I do kick down on the freeway but even then I tend to paddle shift down and have it in gear already when possible. No crazy launches while I have had it but I do have the occasional brisk start.

SensoRS6
July 23rd, 2013, 18:31
Audi emailed me yesterday. The tech has looked at the transmission, looks like its just the TC. I am not fully convinced, but we shall see. The warranty company has sent the approval and they started work on it. I will keep you updated.

SensoRS6
July 23rd, 2013, 18:32
14043They are tearing it apart!

lswing
July 23rd, 2013, 18:47
Audi emailed me yesterday. The tech has looked at the transmission, looks like its just the TC. I am not fully convinced, but we shall see. The warranty company has sent the approval and they started work on it. I will keep you updated.

Odds are really really good your car won't run once back together, symptoms you are showing are trans, from anything I've seen. Hope it works out well though, you never know!

How did they examine your trans? No way to tell without driving, scan won't show a thing, hmmmm....

SensoRS6
July 23rd, 2013, 19:18
Odds are really really good your car won't run once back together, symptoms you are showing are trans, from anything I've seen. Hope it works out well though, you never know!

How did they examine your trans? No way to tell without driving, scan won't show a thing, hmmmm....

Audi said they checked the fluid and think everything is fine. would changing the fluid and trans filter make it not run? It was running before, just that clunk at kickdown. I am expecting that clunk to be there still. Should be fun after they go through all of that and it still clunks. Don't know what I will do then.

lswing
July 23rd, 2013, 19:35
Guess you'll see, the only problem I had with my TC was it causing slipping. All clunking was my failed trans. Odds are fluid/filter change won't affect much, although will be nice to get old debris and crap out of their. I suppose they didn't see a bunch of particles in the fluid indicating that your clutch packs aren't disintegrated. I had all types of garbage in my fluid...fingers crossed!

DHall1
July 23rd, 2013, 19:35
It will run and the clunk will still be there. Nothing you can do at this point but wait and hope. I would pay the difference and get the whole transmission replaced if it were me. The labor is taken care of and the car has 90k. It will need the trans sooner rather than later.
Audi said they checked the fluid and think everything is fine. would changing the fluid and trans filter make it not run? It was running before, just that clunk at kickdown. I am expecting that clunk to be there still. Should be fun after they go through all of that and it still clunks. Don't know what I will do then.

SensoRS6
August 5th, 2013, 20:47
Update on my Beast!!

SteveKen
August 5th, 2013, 21:15
I'm surprised the dealer let you go in there and take pictures.

IMO, the number of people working on the car is proportional to the number of bolts that get missed or don't get tightened. "But I thought he tightened it..." LOL /JK

Looking good though.

SensoRS6
August 5th, 2013, 21:23
Actually the service manager took them for me. Awesome place, Loving Classic Audi North Orlando.

SteveKen
August 5th, 2013, 21:48
Actually the service manager took them for me. Awesome place, Loving Classic Audi North Orlando.

Indeed. I used to buy my parts from Carson when he worked there.

DHall1
August 5th, 2013, 22:28
My guy takes 5hrs to get out and trans split.

But he uses the hydraulic table to drop out the bottom. Faster

More than one way to get these out.

I'm surprised the dealer let you go in there and take pictures.

IMO, the number of people working on the car is proportional to the number of bolts that get missed or don't get tightened. "But I thought he tightened it..." LOL /JK

Looking good though.

ttboost
August 5th, 2013, 22:32
My guy takes 5hrs to get out and trans split.

But he uses the hydraulic table to drop out the bottom. Faster

More than one way to get these out.

That's the way I do it.,.and in the same amount of time..

DHall1
August 7th, 2013, 18:59
My guy is a like a surgeon at work when it comes to RS6 engines. Ask Kyle, his car has been perfect since the day he drove off.

That is really rare in todays world.

lswing
August 7th, 2013, 19:07
Fancy lift there, here's how we do it in Oregon...work was perfect by the way...

Dynmicracr
August 7th, 2013, 19:23
Can the engine be brought out the front with the carrier removed or does it have to be dropped down?

DHall1
August 7th, 2013, 19:24
Pallet on wheels. I like it. When the day comes that I do one of these at home it will look like that. I'm sure that special tool/table cost more than my car is worth. ;)