PDA

View Full Version : Who sells larger turbos for C5 RS6??

nitrorocket
July 12th, 2013, 21:31
I'm looking for information that anybody has run across on cells bigger turbos looking for something around the GT30 size.

I haven't really noticed any companies marketing them... Looking for direct Bolton.

10SecS4
July 12th, 2013, 21:57
The problem is there just isn't much room for bigger turbos, unless you go with a 6-speed...

ben916
July 12th, 2013, 23:41
Sure, there are several companies that "sell" larger turbos... but that is just the tip of the ice berg... Are you sure you want to do that?

bmwade
July 12th, 2013, 23:51
The problem is there just isn't much room for bigger turbos, unless you go with a 6-speed...

Can you code for a 6 spd and upgraded turbos in your tune? If so I'll be contacting you when I eventually get to start my Avant! Your performance seems great with stock components so I can only imagine what those gains would translate to in a bigger build! Plus we can get you some nuts dyno numbers to boast on!

nitrorocket
July 14th, 2013, 02:50
What conpanies sell them Ben916?

I need some more power... Lol

lswing
July 14th, 2013, 03:19
What conpanies sell them Ben916?

I need some more power... Lol

Scroll can upgrade them, Loba is bigger, MTM also maybe. You need better cooling and injectors, pump and rails probably fine. Remember, bigger turbos=more lag. I'd estimate 8-10k for the upgrade. And your gonna rip a trans apart after unless its beefed up...and adjusted tune...gut those DPs too...sounds like fun though!

lswing
July 14th, 2013, 03:19
Can you code for a 6 spd and upgraded turbos in your tune? If so I'll be contacting you when I eventually get to start my Avant! Your performance seems great with stock components so I can only imagine what those gains would translate to in a bigger build! Plus we can get you some nuts dyno numbers to boast on!

I heard Shokan is selling their rs6 wagon?

bmwade
July 14th, 2013, 05:43
I heard Shokan is selling their rs6 wagon?

Hmm that might be worth checking into....

yokust
July 14th, 2013, 15:39
http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=tp&Category_Code=27T

Any turbo from a 2.7t will bolt to our manifolds.

BUT will require custom intake and exhaust plumbing

buster0984
July 16th, 2013, 15:07
another real limitation as far as turbos goes is that most...if not all aftermarket turbo won't mount to the stock turbo/header flange. so you either have to have a new flange welded onto the cast headers or have some stainless ones made with the correct flange. I'm currently having some custom headers built, they are about 8 weeks behind because the turbos took 6 weeks longer then expected to be delivered. but i will post up some pictures when i get my hands on them eventually.

another thing to look at is the stock turbos are internally gated and a larger turbo might not fit with an internal gate due to size so you will have to look at going externally gated and picked up some wastegates. if you go that route you will have to have wastegate flanges and/or piping added to your headers. space is limited but from looking in the engine bay your best best would be to wrap the wastegates around the back of the block (correct me if i'm wrong anyone?)

as a side note i will have a bit more room since i will have a manual swap in mine eventually.

SteveKen
July 16th, 2013, 16:08
I'm not sure what size we require, but I've thought of slicing off the stock flanges and welding on some V-band flanges. This can give some adjustability with that angle. Then you've also got adjustability with clocking the housings, too. Then comes for fancy fabrication of the inlets and downpipes. Having V-band flanges on the hot sides of the turbine will facilitate things, though.

buster0984
July 16th, 2013, 18:07
yeah the inlets are one of the biggest issues regardless of tranny and flanges. the v-band will help but adds around ~300 to the price of each turbo and when you are talking ~1500 a turbo another 600 isn't anything to laugh at. I went with a T4 undivided flange/turbo set up for my build (that i might finish before i'm retired haha), the headers are being clocked inward a bit to give alittle more cleanance for the the inlets. they basically go off the turbo and 90 up to the airbox in stock form, and with a signifficantly increased inlet side that bend/up turn becomes more difficult. oh and i went with a 4" inlet, 3" exhaust (both v-band) i believe.

and to answer the OP's question if you change the flange on the headers you can pick up whatever turbo you want from what ever manufacturer strikes your fancy. if you want to keep the stock flange you are limited to, like someone above posted, the eliminator series turbos built for the 2.7t motors, or the tial 660 or 770 turbos. all of these would hit full boost on the 2.7t in the ~4-4500k rpm range i believe, and would be slightly better on the 4.2 as it's larger so it will push more air into them meaning alittle less lag, expect in the high 3k-low 4k range. i choose to go with a smaller a/r on my turbos to help bring down the lag and i'm also going to have the intake and headers port matched to help with flow and bring the lag down a bit more. my goal is to see full boost in the mid 3k range with a nice boost curve. that way i can still drive it nice and easy but if i want to get on it i won't be hitting the pedal and waiting 5 seconds for the turbos to spin up.

hope this helps a bit. also like was posted above to get more power you need more then turbos...you will need

-larger intercoolers
-larger injectors, probably in the 70-80lb range (at least that is what i'm looking at you will need to do some calculation to determine proper size for your set up)
-uprated fuel pump
-uprated fpr
-custom inlet and downpipes
-a new tune
-boost controller (either manual or electronic)
-2 wastegates if your new turbo isn't internally gated (as well as wastegate flanges for the headers)
-for higher boost i might consider new diverter valves although many say the stock ones are good

that would be the supporting mods for larger turbos...if you just slap the larger turbos on and go you won't see any change, infact the car might be alittle slower/sluggish due to the increased air demands to get the turbines spinning compared to stock. and once you get them spinning they will push more air requiring more fuel which your stock injectors may or may not be up for. also this will cause more heat (more boost = more heat) so larger intercoolers are required to keep the air temps down. and if your injectors can't keep up you will need to increase the pump size to keep up with the new injectors. A good tune to make all these things play well together because running to rich or lean will destroy your engine very quickly. and i would install a boost gauge to monitor your new boost levels and make sure you don't spike to high, which is where the boost controller comes into play in controlling the spikes and delivering the boost levels that you want.

if you knew all this I'm sorry, just trying to help out and lay some ground work for your research!

ttboost
July 16th, 2013, 21:07
To add to the above^^^, and for those that haven't seen it, this is why you can't just stick a bigger turbo on a RS6. You can clearly see it is a tiny turbo. Tiny turbine that causes topend power loss and boost taper, and tiny compressor making a suitable replacement impossible without a exhaust manifold change. This is the reasaon everyone just does the compressor wheel upgrade. Quick 30-40whp upgrade and bolt it back on.
I had big dreams of doing a big turbo build while I had my stuff out for the conversion,but quickly decided a newer turbo was good enough, as I knew I wasn't going to keep the car....and would NEVER recoup that cash either...

buster0984
July 17th, 2013, 01:09
yeah if you do it you have to want to keep the car and/or be okay with losing a lot of cash on resale.

ttboost
July 17th, 2013, 11:09
Agreed...and I wasn't ....I would rather put that effort into something a little more rewarding...

good luck on your project...^^^^